Looking for a good field guide for Moths Eastern N. America

Another fascinating part of field herping, along with all the other natural wonders we encounter, is the invertebrates! This forum is dedicated to both field and captive invertebrates.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kyle from Carolina

Looking for a good field guide for Moths Eastern N. America

Post by Kyle from Carolina » October 1st, 2014, 10:30 am

Can anybody recommend a quality field guide to moths of north america or even eastern north america? I generally prefer field guides with drawings that indicate the distinguishing tell for whatever group (genus, species, etc). Field guides with photographs are ok too, although they can be a bit more subjective.

While doing online searches, I've come across these two that look pretty good:

Peterson guide to northeastern moths - Beadle and Leckie

A field guide to moths of eastern North America - Covell.

The Covell book seems more inclusive but it's also a bit old, not sure how accurate it might be for range maps, nomenclature, etc.

Does anybody recommend or have issues with these or any other guides out there?

Anything covering a narrower region or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks,

Kyle

cbernz

Re: Looking for a good field guide for Moths Eastern N. Amer

Post by cbernz » October 17th, 2014, 6:40 am

The Peterson Northeast guide is great. It's not comprehensive, but it does a good job covering the species I see most often here in NJ. It uses live photos against a white background, so the field marks are clear and you get to see the moth in a natural pose, which makes it 1000 times more useful than the old Peterson Eastern guide with the photos of pinned specimens. I hope they continue the series and do regional books for the rest of the country (or continent).

I use mine mainly to identify photos I've taken in the field or at my lights. About 99% of the time I can get down to species using the book, and then I'll use a bugguide.net or Moth Photographer's Group to double check the difficult ones. It's a great system for me - using the book plus websites is way faster for me than using websites alone.

Covell was my first moth guide, so I have fond memories, but I don't use it anymore. Who has patience for black-and-white plates nowadays?

BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan » October 17th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Not much help for a "carry with you" field guide, but for those times when you find something that strikes your fancy, these folks are very good at IDing a moth or butterfly:

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/

They also appreciate vouchered data entries, like our HERP data base.

Kyle from Carolina

Post by Kyle from Carolina » November 20th, 2014, 9:06 pm

cbernz and Bill,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, they are quite helpful. I think I am leaning towards the peterson guide. I can't wait to find and identify some more moths when it gets warm.