Mixed bag of tropical bugs

Field and captive invertebrates discussion forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

orionmystery

Mixed bag of tropical bugs

Post by orionmystery »

Lovely frog but I've photographed it too many times so I tried fooling around with different lighting instead.
ImageNyctixalus pictus IMG_8136 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Newly emerged dragonfly
ImageNewly emerged dragonfly IMG_8038 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Lime butterfly
ImagePapilio demoleus_MG_6256 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Flowerpecker...not sure if it was injured or what...couldn't fly.
ImageDicaeum trigonostigma_MG_6190 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Polyrhachis sp. ant enjoying a sumptuous meal
ImagePolyrhachis sp._MG_6126 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Dead leaf mantis and a beetle
ImageDeroplatys lobata_MG_6058 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Final instar Zanna terminalis nymph
ImageZanna terminalis_MG_5208 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Bored with cicada emergence so again, fooled around with different lighting..
ImageDundubia vaginata IMG_8109 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr
soulsurvivor

Re: Mixed bag of tropical bugs

Post by soulsurvivor »

That last cicada photo is really cool! Thanks for sharing.

~Bree
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

I found and photographed a big female Deroplatys trigonodera at the bottom of Mount Santubong (Kuching, Sarawak,Borneo) Saturday night, and accidentally erased every single picture of it the next day. Now that I see what you do with a similar subject, I'm actually glad my photos are all gone. I wouldn't have dared to show them.

That butterfly shot - was that also taken with your "tunnel diffuser"? Looks like it's all frontal light ... but there are no shadows between the leaves!

PS: Please do me a favor and don't get into pitcher plant photography. It's the only area where I'm still safe from your formidable glory. Not because I take great photos, but because you haven't arrived there yet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, and thanks again for teaching us so much about photography!!
orionmystery

Post by orionmystery »

Thank you, Bree, Hans.

Hans - yes, all with the same diffuser. For pitcher plants, you can try natural light, preferably with tripod.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

orionmystery wrote:For pitcher plants, you can try natural light, preferably with tripod.
Thanks! Just bought one :-)