Visit to the biopark yesterday...

Field and captive invertebrates discussion forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

herpseeker1978

Visit to the biopark yesterday...

Post by herpseeker1978 »

The botanical gardens in town were having a creepy crawly exhibit for Halloween and it ends today. So, I called August to see if he and Nancy wanted to go check it out with me and Nikki. We went through the aquarium first and saw these:

Then we went over to the bug exhibit and saw some cool bugs:

We looked around and then August started talking to the docent and before long he was on the phone with one of the keepers. Five minutes later, we were in the bug collection:

This is Megan, she is a keeper there and she is actually holding one of our native scorpions. Notice the shirt.

Thanks for looking!

Josh
Daniel D Dye

Re: Visit to the biopark yesterday...

Post by Daniel D Dye »

Awesome!
Now you need to ID each one of them. :lol:
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Daniel D Dye wrote:Awesome!
Now you need to ID each one of them. :lol:
:lol: She told me as we went, but it was just too many at once and no experience really with the names. The big black scorpion is an emperor scorpion :lol: The one after the emperor is an elephant beetle. The last group of scorpions are all Arizona Bark Scorpions except for the one on Megan's hand, it is the local one here in Albuquerque. That's about all I remember.

Josh
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

That looks like a super place, Josh.
Is it in Albuquerque?
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Yeah, it is in Albuquerque. We have a pretty good setup here, aquarium, zoo and botanical gardens. They are working on the bug house now. Currently they don't really have any of the bugs on display, most of what is shown here is in the back areas. Currently they have a butterfly pavilion and a dragonfly pond, the bug house will be along when they get to it. Unfortunately, our biopark has a problem with starting things and then getting distracted by something else. For example, we have a couple saltwater crocs, they got here and they started renovating the Australia building and then stopped. Now they've announced a penguin exhibit and everything has been going into that. It seems to me they need to concentrate on one thing so that something gets done, instead of having several unfinished projects.

Josh
ThomWild

Post by ThomWild »

Josh I don't know how you are always getting these behind the scene tours but I am sure glad you do! cool stuff.

-Thomas
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

ThomWild wrote:Josh I don't know how you are always getting these behind the scene tours but I am sure glad you do! cool stuff.

-Thomas
It pays to know people who know people..... :lol: :thumb: :D

Josh

ps oh and just showing interest and then asking goes a long way. keepers don't make much money, so generally they are in it for their interest, and I don't know about you, but I love showing off my collection!
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

DAMN, what a cool place! Where is that hyoooge black hotdog 'pede from???
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:DAMN, what a cool place! Where is that hyoooge black hotdog 'pede from???
I'm not sure Hans, I can't remember if she told us or not. It was really cool, I really wanted to let it walk all over me, those things feel so cool with all their legs moving around! Unfortunatley, it was being shy, but I was able to get the shot of it lifting up its head, which was cool, one my favorite pics from that day.

Josh
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

herpseeker1978 wrote:
Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:DAMN, what a cool place! Where is that hyoooge black hotdog 'pede from???
I'm not sure Hans, I can't remember if she told us or not. It was really cool, I really wanted to let it walk all over me, those things feel so cool with all their legs moving around! Unfortunatley, it was being shy, but I was able to get the shot of it lifting up its head, which was cool, one my favorite pics from that day.
Thanks! Maybe it's a good thing that you didn't let it walk over you. I picked up a large (not quite THAT large, though) millipede the other day over here, and I still have the stains on my hand now: some of them do secrete some weird stuff....