Northwest Arkansas bat ID's needed, please!!

Post your warm-blooded air-breathing vertebrates!

Moderator: Scott Waters

mikemike

Northwest Arkansas bat ID's needed, please!!

Post by mikemike » March 10th, 2012, 7:38 pm

While herping today, I decided to shoot some flying furballs... I'd really appreciate it if anybody can help me with an ID on these fellas...

#1 I'm assuming is a Pipistrellus subflavus?
Pipistrellus? by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

#2 Nycticeius humeralis?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelray ... 971299097/ by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Both tentatively ID'd from google searches of bats I know live around here.

Thanks a lot to anyone with any input!

Curtis Hart

Re: Northwest Arkansas bat ID's needed, please!!

Post by Curtis Hart » March 10th, 2012, 8:17 pm

I agree with the first ID. I am away from my field guides at the moment, but will check out the second one when I get to them.

Curtis

Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram » March 11th, 2012, 6:03 am

First off, just a warning to be careful about White-nosed Syndrome when entering caves with hibernating bats.

First bat is a Tri-colored Bat (Perimyotis subflavus), which is the new name for the Eastern Pipistrelle. You can always tell them because they have pink arms.

The second bat is either a Big Brown Bat (Eptesicus fuscus), or an Evening Bat, as you guessed. Both have that small, rounded tragus, but otherwise look the same. A Big Brown is supposed to be darker around the face, but Evening Bats aren't supposed to use caves. To really tell them apart you need to look at a small line of cartilage growing off the foot into the tail, called the calcar. Or size. If it was a little bigger than the Tri-colored Bat you have an Evening, if it was about twice as large as the Tri-colored Bat you have a Big Brown (and I would guess Big Brown).

mikemike

Post by mikemike » March 11th, 2012, 8:21 am

Andy Avram wrote:First off, just a warning to be careful about White-nosed Syndrome when entering caves with hibernating bats.

First bat is a Tri-colored Bat (Perimyotis subflavus), which is the new name for the Eastern Pipistrelle. You can always tell them because they have pink arms.

The second bat is either a Big Brown Bat (Eptesicus fuscus), or an Evening Bat, as you guessed. Both have that small, rounded tragus, but otherwise look the same. A Big Brown is supposed to be darker around the face, but Evening Bats aren't supposed to use caves. To really tell them apart you need to look at a small line of cartilage growing off the foot into the tail, called the calcar. Or size. If it was a little bigger than the Tri-colored Bat you have an Evening, if it was about twice as large as the Tri-colored Bat you have a Big Brown (and I would guess Big Brown).
Thanks Andy. I do know all about white nose down here. All of our public caves are closed. These ones are actually from some small, private old zinc mines I had permission to poke around in, but I don't believe they're hibernating anymore, either. At least, they've been actively flying and feeding the past few weeks or so. The second one posted was exactly as found, when found, climbing around.

Thanks for the input and ID's.