Monkeys

Warm-blooded air breathing content.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kelly Mc

Monkeys

Post by Kelly Mc »

I like monkeys. I have known and cared for some as a keeper, and had a little female douroucouli as a kid.

Some of the moments I have experienced with captive monkeys - esp as a keeper with some individuals that were previous lab animals, pets that went bad, or moved throughout their lifetime from one scenario to another, have been the most piercing exchanges I have ever experianced with any living being, human or animal.

I see posts from all over the world by herpers and sometimes other animals are included. Does anyone have photography of wild primates they have seen in their travels?

I would love to see some pics of monkeys on the natch. Happy wild monkeys.

Please nothing tragic - no tethered momless children or monkeys in the marketplace. Please.

Just wild monkeys.
Curtis Hart

Re: Monkeys

Post by Curtis Hart »

Here are a couple I have scanned from when I still used film.

Central American Squirrel Monkey, Costa Rica

White-faced Capuchin, Manuel Antonia, Costa Rica

Dusky Langur, Khao Sam Roi Yot, Thailand
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Thanks Curtis :thumb:

I appreciate your reply and especially like the capuchin shot.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

The Second Coming of Abraham Lincoln
(Nasalis larvatus)
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Thanks Hans - I had a feeling you had a monkey or two up your sleeve :D

Some of the asian leaf eaters are not only odd in facial/nasal structure - but oh the colours - vivid and delicate like oil pastels. They are also a strangely reserved crowd - fer monkeys
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Kelly Mc wrote: They are also a strangely reserved crowd - fer monkeys
Probably because they don't suffer from that perpetual fruit sugar rush that cranks up the frugivorous species :-)
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

There was this recent program that filmed a group of baboons as they took over a fully furnished house - it could have even been more than one "Experiment House" . . It wasnt a straight documentary they dolled it up alot with inserted comments and music, but what was really clear was the Quest For Sugar was at a frenzy level. The clips where they were consuming actual bags and boxes of sugar - and all the negotiations and bad decisions - it was very boogie nights.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

I got a bunch for you all from Central America... I'm just going to dump all the photos of monkeys from my mammal set on flickr here...enjoy
Cebus capucinus (Costa Rica)

Yucatan Spider Monkey (Ateles geoffroyi yucatanensis) (Mexico)

Ateles geoffroyi (Costa Rica)

Ateles geoffroyi (Guatemala)

Howler monkey (Alouatta palliata) (Panama)

Monkey overload?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Antonsrkn! It was wonderful to come home to this.

Thank You :D
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Kelly Mc wrote:Antonsrkn! It was wonderful to come home to this.

Thank You :D
Agreed!
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

Well if I had seen Anton's post before I uploaded some Costa Rican monkey pictures I would have just not done it since mine suck, especially compared to the others posted, but I uploaded them so here they are:

Mantled Howler Monkey - male.
we saw lots of these. This one in particular was foraging in a tree above us and lightly hooting/howling at us. Nearly a whisper. We responded by hooting/howling back, but just a touch louder. Then the monkey got louder, so we got louder and within a couple of minutes we were roaring at the monkey and it was roaring at us. It was actually a pretty incredible experience.

White-faced Capuchin.
These were foraging in someone's side yard. And I think it is fun to watch Fox Squirrels in my yard. Can't imagine monkeys!

Andy
gbin

Post by gbin »

I like monkeys, but only from a distance. It seems really cool to see them overhead in the rainforest - until they defecate on you (I'm afraid their lack of the appropriate sphincter has always prevented me from wanting one as a pet :shock: ), or deliberately pelt you with sticks and hard fruits.

Gerry
dery

Post by dery »

gbin wrote:I like monkeys, but only from a distance. It seems really cool to see them overhead in the rainforest - until they defecate on you (I'm afraid their lack of the appropriate sphincter has always prevented me from wanting one as a pet :shock: ), or deliberately pelt you with sticks and hard fruits.

Gerry
yep, them howlers are notorious for crapping on everything. and chimps are known to be bullies.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

yep, them howlers are notorious for crapping on everything. and chimps are known to be bullies.[/quote]

thats kinda epic anthropological kettle calling the pot :mrgreen: :crazyeyes:
Rags

Post by Rags »

Only just seen the post. Hope it's not too late to include a few shots...

Firstly Europe's only monkey, even though it's called an ape.

Barbary Ape, mother and young. Gibraltar.

Africa. A distant monkey in a tree but a real stunner.
Angolan Black and White Colobus photographed in Kenya.

Sykes Monkey - quite aggressive around our rooms in Kenya. Some of them would jump out of the trees to run after and mug passers by of anything edible. They also took great delight in bouncing along our tin roof very early in the morning,
Sykes' monkey (Cercopithecus albogularis).

Vervet monkey. Males testicles are bright blue!
Vervet monkey (Chlorocebus pygerythrus)

I got up early to try and get a decent 'African sunrise' photo. After sitting on the beach in complete darkness for half an hour the sky began to lighten. It was only then I realised that a Vervet Monkey was sitting in the tree next to me also watching the sunrise.

A couple of Asian monkeys.

Personal favourites.Dusky Leaf-monkey (Trachypithecus obscurus).Timid and very photogenic.

Eyes in the Forest.

A relative of the above. Silvered Leaf-monkey (Trachypithecus cristatus). These were photographed in Bukit Nanas Forest Reserve, close to the heart of Kuala Lumpur.

Long-tailed macaque (Macaca fascicularis).

A familiar profile along the Kinabatangan River. Proboscis Monkey (Nasalis larvatus)

Also in the mangroves at Bako.

Finally three Central American species that are already well represented in this thread.

Spider Monkey

White throated Capuchin

Mantled Howler Monkey.

Finally, a blatant bending of the rules but monkey/ape - ape/monkey. Any excuse to share a couple of Orang Utan photos.

Sepilok

I have photos of orphan orang babies looking sad.....
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Thanks Rags!!! Really wonderful pics

And Thanks for not posting the orphans. They core me and im secretly not able to bounce back and am a sadder person inside permanently.

But people should see what deforestation is doing. And tho it seems very difficult, please try to avoid buying products with palm oil.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

I recently uploaded some photos of a different species of monkey to Flickr and since there is only one other photo of a squirrel monkey I'll post mine, even though I'm not thrilled with either of these 2 photos.

Grey-crowned Central American squirrel monkey (Saimiri oerstedii citrinellus)--Costa Rica
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26500525@N ... 824268013/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26500525@N ... 6824268013

Rags, those are awesome, I particularly like the dusky leaf monkey! Must have been amazing seeing all those species, I have seen 5 species (+ a few subspecies) in the wild so far and can't wait to expand on that list, I would really love to be able to add some of the species you have shown here.
Rags

Post by Rags »

Hi Antonsrkn - I enjoyed the Squirrel Monkey shots. It was a species we missed out on when in Central America. We just ran out of time as we got close to good the best areas to see them. Were your Squirrel Monkeys in a reserve/national park?

A couple of shots of a species I forgot to include in the last post.

Southern Pig-tailed Macaque (Macaca nemestrina). Compared to the Long-tailed Macaques these are far more muscular. Some of the big males are built like bull terriers. These were photographed scavenging around the feeding platforms at Sepilok.

tai haku

Post by tai haku »

Common Langur in India are cool for 3 reasons (at least):

first up they form mixed herds with the Chital deer combining the benefits of their various senses and using sentries to ward off tigers and leopards

secondly, low status females (apparently) garner status by caring for the young of higher status females. the desire to do so seems to overwhelm common sense leading to occasional kidnappings....

Thirdly they bounce.....

The Sri Lankan form is at least a subspecies if not totally distinct (I forget)

They form mixed troops with the Tocque Macaque in some areas....

Urban Macaque in singapore....

Olive Baboon, Kruger

with teeth....

with adorable baby....

Vervet - I have a photo of the blue bits somewhere....
mrichardson

Post by mrichardson »

Tai - The Olive Baboon photographed in Kruger is in fact a Chacma Baboon (but I'm guessing you already knew that and just made a typo!). Love all the pics BTW, I'll have to dig out some of my own.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Hi Antonsrkn - I enjoyed the Squirrel Monkey shots. It was a species we missed out on when in Central America. We just ran out of time as we got close to good the best areas to see them. Were your Squirrel Monkeys in a reserve/national park?
Almost in a national park, they were a mile or so outside of Manuel Antonio National Park, and I'm sure their home range extended into the park. I also saw them on several occasions within MA national park but my photos were all pretty terrible. Based on the range these are grey-crowned Central American squirrel monkeys (Saimiri oerstedii citrinellus), I have also seen black-crowned Central American squirrel monkeys (Saimiri oerstedii oerstedii) in and around Corcovado National park in Southern Costa Rica.

I really love this photo! Awesome!
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

The goal for my last trip to Central America was to see a couple species that people don't typically see.

Geoffroy's Tamarin

Western Night Monkey, we hiked for several hours three nights in a row to finally find a pair of these.(Photo by Kevin Smith)

Central American Spider Monkey, one of the common species.

A Red Howler from Venezuela.

The first time I went to South Africa I was able to see all 5 species of primates. Here is a Samango.

South and SE Asia are where I've seen by far the most species of primates. I'll start with Sri Lanka.

Tufted Langur

Toque Macaque

Purple-faced Leaf Monkey

Here are a few from India.
Hanuman Langurs on the lookout for Tigers.

Bonnet Maque

Nilgiri Langur

The next species is one of my favorite ever wildlife sightings. I didn't even know this species existed until I bought the field guide for India. I ended up getting to spend an hour under a troop in the Western Ghats.
Lion-tailed Macaque

Here's another awesome macaque, this one from Sulawesi.
Black-crested Macaque

Formosan Rock Macaque, the only mammal I saw in Taiwan.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Curtis, awesome job on that night monkey! You must have been in Panama for the owl monkey and tamarin, what part of the country did you see them in? I did tons of night hiking but turns out I was on an island that they were no longer found on, during the day I often worked in areas that i'm sure they were present in but it was always during the day. I managed to finally see some tamarins after 2 months of work in Panama on my very last day in the field, I didn't manage to get any photos though.
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

The tamarins were at the Metropolitan Nature Park in Panama City, I saw them on two separate vists, and the Night Monkeys were on the Pipeline Road.

Curtis
tai haku

Post by tai haku »

mrichardson wrote:Tai - The Olive Baboon photographed in Kruger is in fact a Chacma Baboon (but I'm guessing you already knew that and just made a typo!).
oops! good spot.
dery

Post by dery »

Curtis Hart wrote:The tamarins were at the Metropolitan Nature Park in Panama City, I saw them on two separate vists, and the Night Monkeys were on the Pipeline Road.

Curtis
wait which panama city, panama's official language is spannish. and there's no wild monkies in pc, fl to my knoledge,but there was in certain peninsular locales :?
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

Panama City, Panama.
CCarille

Post by CCarille »

Here's a few... I'll try to get more up. I have photos of another 8-15 species on an external hard drive I think. (I've seen 5 species in CA, 7 in Borneo, and 10 or 12 species in Peru)

Bornean Orangutan (Pongo pygmaeus) - Borneo... I know, not a monkey, love 'em though!

Red Leaf Monkeys (Presbytis rubicunda) - Borneo

Long-tailed Macaque (Macaca fascicularis) - Borneo

White-headed Capuchin (Cebus capucinus) - Costa Rica

female Proboscis Monkey (Nasalis larvatus) - Borneo