Grey Seal pupping ground visit

Warm-blooded air breathing content.

Moderator: Scott Waters

tai haku

Grey Seal pupping ground visit

Post by tai haku »

I've been visiting the parents this week and today we visited a classic local nature attraction - a grey seal pupping beach. This "beach" sees probably thousands of visitors a year to look at the cute baby grey seals on the mudflats. The bull grey seal (Halichoerus grypus, meaning "hooked-nosed sea pig") is the largest mammal on UK shores so it's quite the sight.

the warning sign at entry gives a hint of what to expect....

these wide shots should give you an idea of the scale we're dealing with....

Over 1350 seals at the last count (last week). That's an RAF bombing range in the distance by the way.

Most of the pups were already at the immensely fat doe-eyed ball of fur stage.

It is possible to get ridiculously close here. This pup was asleep against the fence. Shot taken vertically down at a range of maybe 3 1/2 feet.

another fence hugger. There are warning signs every few yards to remind the less wildlife aware that seals have big teeth and bite when they're scared no matter how cute they look.

there was still the odd crying newborn too. this one wasn't far from a big lump of placenta

bigger ones are rather sleeker - check out the long muzzle.

well kind of sleeker...

making more baby seals....

and fighting over the rights to make more baby seals...

this is my favourite photo. "Rope neck" turned up in 2006 with a rope around her neck slowly cutting into the flesh. She was caught and freed but heavily scarred. She returns to the same area every year to pup.
Andy Avram

Re: Grey Seal pupping ground visit

Post by Andy Avram »

Too cool. I am not particularily partial to the ocean (not opposed to it though) so I have not seen nearly as many seals as I should have. This post (and the elephant seal post) make me want to remedy that. Love the rope neck story.
tai haku

Post by tai haku »

oops. forgot to add these. 5 years and 9 days ago was my last visit. Things were.......ickier.

Herpetologist115

Post by Herpetologist115 »

While in San Diego I was lucky enough to see a harbor seal pup get born right on the beach in front of me. Awesome to see their population is doing well in such an urban area.