Ohio Shrew ID Needed

Warm-blooded air breathing content.

Moderator: Scott Waters

tspuckler

Ohio Shrew ID Needed

Post by tspuckler »

It this a Least Shrew or a Pygmy Shrew and how do you tell the difference?

I think it has something to do with tail length, so I included a tail shot.

Tim
Antonsrkn

Re: Ohio Shrew ID Needed

Post by Antonsrkn »

Not sure, but it's a cool little critter.
dery

Post by dery »

Antonsrkn wrote:Not sure, but it's a cool little critter.
I like shorttail alot too because of their venom, an adaption few mammals have. Yet other species have great looks.
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

There are 5 species of shrews found in Ohio: Northern Short-tailed, Least, Pygmy, Smoky and Masked. N. Short-tailed and Least are larger and have short tails. The other three are tiny (some of the world's smallest mammals) with long tails, and you found one of those three. Size really isn't going to help to much with these three in the field, but you do have some car key comparison shots. Breaking them down further:

Pygmy - only ever found in a few southeastern counties. I am guessing you were near home in NE Ohio, so we can probably eliminate Pygmy Shrew.

This leaves us with Masked or Smoky, and probably as good as your going to get on this one. Masked is the smaller of the two and is found throughout northern Ohio, into south central. The larger Smoky is found in eastern Ohio, from about Lorain/Cuyahoga County east. Judging on size alone, and because I see them more often, I would guess you have a Masked Shew (Sorex cinereus).

Hopefully someone else will weigh in.

Andy
Jason B

Post by Jason B »

Awesome little guy! Thanks for posting it and thanks to Andy for the taxonomy lesson.
tspuckler

Post by tspuckler »

Thanks Andy,

I knew you'd get me closer to a positive ID. From what I've read, looking at their teeth is one way to determine the species - but I wasn't going to go back, catch it and give it a dental exam. But Masked Shrew seems to be a really good educated guess. All three of those small Ohio shrews look the same at a glance.

Tim
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

The only way to get a 100% ID is by looking at its teeth (which requires killing it). Sorex cinereus is a likely candidate.

-Chris