Big Brown Bat

Warm-blooded air breathing content.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ThatFrogGuy

Big Brown Bat

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

This bat apparently got in our house from the fireplace. After chasing it in circles around my room with a net for ten minutes, I finally caught it and released it outside unharmed. I've been told it's most likely a Big Brown Bat.
Big Brown Bat (Eptesicus fuscus) by Zach Truelock, on Flickr
Curtis Hart

Re: Big Brown Bat

Post by Curtis Hart »

Big Brown is a possible, but with no size reference you can't rule out an Evening Bat. Both are common in your area and both will roost in man made structures. To be sure, you'd need a forearm measurement, or check and see how many incisors it has.

Curtis
PhoenixBird

Post by PhoenixBird »

When I was volunteering at a wild bird rescue mammals were sometimes brought in too. Nobody that had not been vaccinated for rabies was allowed to handle bats.
sep11ie

Post by sep11ie »

looks like this little guy...
I let him go under a bridge right by my place.
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

PhoenixBird wrote:When I was volunteering at a wild bird rescue mammals were sometimes brought in too. Nobody that had not been vaccinated for rabies was allowed to handle bats.

You're right, I shouldn't have suggested that a nonvaccinated person check a bats teeth.

Sep11ie, do you have a better photo of your bat? Your location is Houston area correct?
sep11ie

Post by sep11ie »

Curtis Hart wrote:
PhoenixBird wrote:When I was volunteering at a wild bird rescue mammals were sometimes brought in too. Nobody that had not been vaccinated for rabies was allowed to handle bats.

You're right, I shouldn't have suggested that a nonvaccinated person check a bats teeth.

Sep11ie, do you have a better photo of your bat? Your location is Houston area correct?
Yes sir, I'm in the Houston area. I'm looking for a better picture. My ex deleted most of my pictures of everything I had. That looks just like the one's I remove around here though.