White-Tailed Deer Camouflage

Warm-blooded air breathing content.

Moderator: Scott Waters

The Jake-Man

White-Tailed Deer Camouflage

Post by The Jake-Man »

Just thought I'd share this, my grandfather was out hiking in Northern PA last week, when he flushed a doe from a field. Without thinking much of it, he kept walking, but spotted this in the field about 20 yards from where he saw the doe take off. Apparently the fawn was pretty confident in its camouflage, because it didn't move until he was about ten feet away.

gbin

Re: White-Tailed Deer Camouflage

Post by gbin »

In my late teens one of the foolish pursuits enjoyed by me and my buddies was to careen at maximum speed down the heavily wooded slopes of the St. Croix river valley between MN and WI, jumping into the river at the end of the run to cool off. There are a lot of whitetailed deer there, and more than once one of us almost accidentally tromped on one of those beautiful fawns in the woods. More than once one of us almost injured himself leaping over the fawn after detecting it only at the last possible moment, too. Deer are "hider" species, meaning the female will stash her young somewhere and count on it to remain still (and virtually odorless at that age as well, apparently) and so hopefully evade detection by potential predators. It works better on them than on idiotic young men, though.

Gerry