Algonquin Provincial Park?

Warm-blooded air breathing content.

Moderator: Scott Waters

J-Miz

Algonquin Provincial Park?

Post by J-Miz »

Just curious if anyone has done and mammal- or birdwatching in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario. I was tinkering with heading out to the Adirondacks perhaps next year, but then realized Algonquin is the same distance. The possibility of seeing bear, wolves, moose, porcupine, marten, fisher, etc has my mouth-watering. But I realize mammals aren't always easy to find, so any real-life experiences from you guys is appreciated. Also curious how easy birds are to see (gray jay, spruce grouse, boreal chickadee, northern woodpeckers, breeding warblers, etc).
Andy Avram

Re: Algonquin Provincial Park?

Post by Andy Avram »

My buddy is the head naturalist (and runs a few other things) at Algonquin. He held a conference there where I told him to find me wolves (after all I found him Blue Racer and Northern Dusky when the conference was in the states). It ended up I couldn't go, but he did find wolves for the conference. Personally, I need to get up there and I think you would do alright on northern species. I know others during the conference found Gray Jays, Pine Martin, Wolves, Moose, etc...
If you solidify plans more I'll see if my friend can lend you a hand.
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

Thanks, Andy.

Still in the infancy stage, but at just under an 8-hour drive it seems like a no-brainer. Deciding when to go is the greatest question at this point. Wish I got paid to do this stuff!
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

I stopped by briefly, 1 night I think, on my way back from whale watching in Quebec and New Brunswick. It was before I kept detailed records of my mammal and bird watching, but I did easily see Moose and my lifer Woodland Jumping Mouse. I've heard American Martens can be very easy here, but I missed them. Even if you don't do as well as one would hope, it would probably be better than driving 8 hours in any other direction. Also, winter is the time for wolves and martens. I think there is a trip report or two on mammalwatching.com.

Curtis
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

Curtis,

Thanks for the useful info. Very interesting about the winter-time carcass feedings. And I hadn't known many consider those wolves as a northern subsp. of red wolf, although I had heard of the possibility as a new species (eastern timber wolf).
raymondkroberts

Post by raymondkroberts »

There is good chance for you to see mammals in Algonquin park. As often you can spot moose, wolves, deer and loons but bit hard to spot bears. As far as birds are considered you can spot many species of them near the lakes in the park and there are chances to spot beavers also. You have the option to stay within the park in Algonquin Park Accommodation, well its a pretty big area and while you stay inside the camp you have better chances to see all kinds of animals.