Footprint ID

Warm-blooded air breathing content.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Antonsrkn

Footprint ID

Post by Antonsrkn »

Hello all,

I came across some footprints in a local park here in Eastern North Carolina and I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I could help ID them for me. Using my finely tuned outdoors man skills I have ruled out ungulates :) I can tell its not a raccoon or possum either as I'm familiar with their prints however beyond that im really not sure. Now given the area theres also a real chance that its just a feral cat, im hoping its not the case, but its not unlikely. Could it be fox? What do those of you who are good at IDing prints think?

Anyways, I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Antonsrkn

Re: Footprint ID

Post by Antonsrkn »

Antonsrkn wrote:I can tell its not a raccoon or possum either as I'm familiar with their prints however beyond that im really not sure.
I'm forced to eat my words.... According to a consensus on FB, turns out these are raccoon prints haha. I'm used to seeing the prints on a softer substrate where the individual finger outlines are more visible. Well the more you know I guess.
Berkeley Boone

Re: Footprint ID

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Ha ha! I know you've already figured it out, but I was going to say they were raccoon.

Both cats and foxes have four rounded toes, and cat prints will be nearly circular, and canids are a little more oval.

--Berkeley