It is currently March 30th, 2017, 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2017 chapter merger and nominations?
PostPosted: January 12th, 2017, 8:55 am 

The possibility of closure or merger was discussed about a month ago on both the RM and AZ boards. After some initial discussion there's been little recent talk, so I'll throw 2 motions out there. I move that we:

1) Merge the RM and AZ chapters

2) Solicit nominations for Pres, VP, and IBM for the merged chapter.

Any seconds? Any discussion?

Post subject: Re: 2017 chapter merger and nominations?
PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 10:56 am 

I second a merger.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2017, 7:51 pm 

I think the merge is definitely a good idea.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2017, 7:20 am 

What would the "new chapter" be called? Rocky Mountain wouldnt work as AZ has no connection to that range.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2017, 6:39 pm 

I posted this in the RM Chapter re: merger

I think the big problem with the AZ Chapter, speaking from my own personal experience, is no one wants to actually contribute time or energy (besides maybe two or three people) to do anything to promote NAFHA to the outside world.

The largest battle AZ faces on a daily basis is the "Locals Only" attitude (with some good historical reasoning behind that).

When I was chapter President, I got us a space at the Tucson Reptile Expo but couldn't get but one volunteer (Terry Cox) to assist in operating it. When I got us a booth at the AZGF Outdoor Expo it was like pulling teeth to get volunteers (three people finally stepped up - thank you Ben Jones, Chris Meachum, and Nick Burge!) When I did the McDowell Sonoran Preserve surveys it was hit or miss if I could get people to come out for them.

I appreciate Ben and Hubbs keeping the chapter alive after the work Terry did to get it off the ground and the work I did to try to expand its "footprint" in the local herp world.

As far a merger of AZ and RM chapters .... IMO .... Keep them separate. I do like the idea of reworking the bylaws into just have chapter sub forums without officers. I mean really, how many chapters have organized meetings and such where officers are even needed!?!

Using the TacomaWorld forum as an example, https://www.tacomaworld.com/forums/ NAFHA could still exist in a useful format and possibly could expand with sub forums for discussions of different species or what have you. But of course that would be up to Scott and the (if they still exist) NAFHA International Board members.

Well thats my two cents on the matter.

Thanks for listening ..