Herper Bios

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mike Pingleton

Re: Herper Bios

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Hey Cameron, welcome - I believe you were on the old Forum, correct? I learned to herp in MO - sure miss those Ozark creeks.

Welcome Colin - Good luck this season!
-Mike (Diehard Cardinal fan)
KingCam

Post by KingCam »

Mike Pingleton wrote:Hey Cameron, welcome - I believe you were on the old Forum, correct? I learned to herp in MO - sure miss those Ozark creeks.
Yes I was, glad someone remembered me! :P I can't even remember what my old username was. I was very confused when I came back and attempted to log in. I take it the forum was completely purged and re-started in summer of 2010?? There's no beating the Ozark creeks and rivers. B-E-A-utiful scenery down in that part of the state.

- Cam
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Cameron, it's been awhile. How's it going? Actually coming to KC on Friday. Anythinig moving yet?

Hope alls well, Lou and Chance
KingCam

Post by KingCam »

LouB747 wrote:Cameron, it's been awhile. How's it going? Actually coming to KC on Friday. Anythinig moving yet?

Hope alls well, Lou and Chance

Lou!! It's good to hear from you, buddy!! I've only been out once this year so far (been busy with the girlfriend and work) but we managed to find some ringnecks, a few skinks, a tree frog, and Chance's favorite, a Western Worm Snake (Carphophis vermis)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5542

I'll be leaving town on Saturday, but if you wanted to try to get out in the field Friday evening I'd be down for that!

Tell Chance I said 'HI!!'

- Cam
wild child luxy

Post by wild child luxy »

Hello, I am Lawrence Huddleston. User name wild child luxy, Its part of a nick name I developed over the years and in my youth. Lol its kinda a long story but any who this is my second profile I am making for the forum cause my first one got lost…. It happens. Well I am from and come up in what we like to call forgotten chicago or steel mill city, the south deering area. I first got into herps really I would say is around 10 yrs old when I had a bufo marinus. I was new to the area and learned there was other toads (bufo americanus) hoping around at night or after a rain so I started catching them for pets. I caught my first what I think was a rough green snake when I was 11 yrs old. From then on I stayed at the pond every spring catching froglets and toadlets. And flipping for snakes in the summer in the woods behind the house. I am the last one of what most would call a crew (my buddies) who I use to flip with. I say its funny cause back then we had no animal planet and steve irwin and other names on tv showing us how to flip boards for snakes where we got the Idea I can’t begain to tell you but it sure did not come out of school…lol I miss those guys but life goes on I guess. I belong to 3 herp society’s and groups with chs (chicago herpetological society) being my home club, my 1st club and the largest I joined back in 2003. I keep everything from snakes to lizards to frogs,salamanders,inverts,and turtles. Now a days I still love going out herping,fishing camping or just bug hunting.

KingCam

Post by KingCam »

wild child luxy wrote:Hello, I am Lawrence Huddleston. User name wild child luxy, Its part of a nick name I developed over the years and in my youth. Lol its kinda a long story but any who this is my second profile I am making for the forum cause my first one got lost…. It happens. Well I am from and come up in what we like to call forgotten chicago or steel mill city, the south deering area. I first got into herps really I would say is around 10 yrs old when I had a bufo marinus. I was new to the area and learned there was other toads (bufo americanus) hoping around at night or after a rain so I started catching them for pets. I caught my first what I think was a rough green snake when I was 11 yrs old. From then on I stayed at the pond every spring catching froglets and toadlets. And flipping for snakes in the summer in the woods behind the house. I am the last one of what most would call a crew (my buddies) who I use to flip with. I say its funny cause back then we had no animal planet and steve irwin and other names on tv showing us how to flip boards for snakes where we got the Idea I can’t begain to tell you but it sure did not come out of school…lol I miss those guys but life goes on I guess. I belong to 3 herp society’s and groups with chs (chicago herpetological society) being my home club, my 1st club and the largest I joined back in 2003. I keep everything from snakes to lizards to frogs,salamanders,inverts,and turtles. Now a days I still love going out herping,fishing camping or just bug hunting.

Welcome (back) to the forum!! Glad to meet you, Luxy :D If you ever make it out this way (Kansas City) send me a PM and we'll go find some boards to flip :beer:

- Cam
TeeJay

Tom Jessen (TeeJay)

Post by TeeJay »

Since I was 10 years old I’ve had a burning desire to pick up and examine all sorts of squirming creatures. I was lucky enough to have been raised up on a farm just a few miles west of The Blue Mound in SW Minnesota and about 15 miles south of The Pipestone National Monument.
(Both of these places had a tremendous amount of early childhood influence on me.)

Rock County is famous for its Sioux Quartzite outcropping. I encountered my first Fox Snake in 1968 on my Uncle Elmer’s farm near Jasper. And despite the fact that the poor thing had just gone through a baling machine and was badly mangled…I was still fascinated. Since then I’ve been bringing home all manner of strange creatures.

After graduating from Luverne High School in 1976 I traded Quartzite for Dolomite when I moved to Mankato. After 20 years of Prairie Grass and Corn…the vast wooded areas of the Minnesota River Valley and its Sandstone Formations seemed like a tropical rain forest and it has been my beloved new home ever since. Its here I began my slightly extended (and dubious) career as a college student.

In June of 1995 I started field research for the Minnesota DNR. (Dept. of Natural Resources)
In ‘95 and ‘96 I went back out to SW Minn. to monitor some newly discovered isolated colonies of Blandings Turtles. From 1997 to 1999 I was part of the Minnesota County Biological Survey concentrating most of my time in the Minnesota River Valley.
I spent the next 2 years pounding nails and building instruments.
In 2002 I started working for South Dakota conducting field surveys for Reptiles and Amphibians of the eastern counties. Since 2000, South Dakota has begun to map out its wildlife and I signed up for the Wildlife Diversity Program Small Grants Program.

In 2006 and 2007 I worked, once again, for the
Minnesota County Biological Survey.

From April to October I drive around
(and sometimes live in) my 1990 Chevy Lumina mini-van.
(I took out the seats and made a nice little traveling field lab and apartment on wheels.)

Since 2008 I've been busy researching a newly discovered population of Blandings Turtles in south central Minnesota. That work continues to this day.

More details at my web-site here: http://www.cricketfiddle.com/

Here's a pic of me (the big one on the left) with my neices boy Liam. Proof that it's genetic: Liam is nearly an exact duplicate of me when I was his age, except he's got way cooler lookin glasses then I ever did! :thumb:
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Great bio TeeJay! We need to plan a herping trip ASAP!

Happy Herpin'
-Chris
foxyjax1212

Post by foxyjax1212 »

My name is Missy Swain. I am a Wildlife Management major at Arkansas State University. I live here in Kennett, Missouri. I have grown up here and am an avid fisherman. I especially love the lake we have here in Kennett called Jerry P. Combs lake. There are a lot of snakes and wildlife there.

I will leave you with lots of pictures.

A huge Crappie I caught at Jerry P. Combs

A flathead I caught at the Mississippi River Overflow

A mess of White Bass/Striped Bass Hybrids from the Mississippi Overflow

Big Momma!

My mom and her big bass from Jerry P. Combs

Another Big Momma!

A huge watersnake someone killed.

A cute little box turtle I found.

My favorite snake we found...a black rat snake. He looked to be over 6ft long.

I'm not very well versed on lizards...so i'm not sure what he is..but he's cute lol

I hope you guys liked my pics and bio...and I hope to learn from all of you.

Missy
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Welcome Missy! Your lizard is a fence lizard (Sceloporus undulatus).

Happy Herpin'
Chris
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

welcome, Missy! Nice to see that big Black Rat Snake. Cool!
-Mike
dwarfboakeeper

Post by dwarfboakeeper »

I am Pat Hammond from Indiana. I have been interested in herps especially snakes since I was a very young child. I am an active member of the Hoosier Herpetological Society where I have served as Vice President. I enjoy herping here in Indiana as well as more exotic locations like Costa Rica and the Hardeeville area of South Carolina.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Welcome!

-Chris
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Hey, Pat! Nice to see you here!
-Mike
dwarfboakeeper wrote:I am Pat Hammond from Indiana. I have been interested in herps especially snakes since I was a very young child. I am an active member of the Hoosier Herpetological Society where I have served as Vice President. I enjoy herping here in Indiana as well as more exotic locations like Costa Rica and the Hardeeville area of South Carolina.
dwarfboakeeper

Post by dwarfboakeeper »

Thanks Mike.
Jim Horton and I are headed to Arizona in August so hopefully I will be able to get some good pictures posted on here from that trip.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I'm Brian Hubbs. I would like to be a member of this chapter, since I spend half my time (it seems like) in the Midwest, know Chad Whitney, and have more records in the database than any living human. Thank you. ;)
Oh yeah, I live in AZ, and write snake books (as if anyone didn't already know that... :lol: )

http://www.mountainkingsnake.com
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Welcome Mr. Hubbs. :lol: In order to be a member of this chapter though, I will require you to find a milk snake in North Dakota. :beer:

Thanks,
Chris :crazyeyes:
bitis2

Post by bitis2 »

Hello all, Dan Lease here, aka bitis2 on the forum. I currently live in central Iowa but am originally from Maryland with an eleven year stint in Hawaii in between. I belong to the Iowa and Minnesota Herpetological Societies. Although I keep some reptiles, mostly snakes, my true love is field herping . I have gotten the chance to search for critters in a good many states including Hawaii, and for a month in Australia. I am married with two children and took everyone to Snake Road for the first time this fall. I think I have a few converts on my hands as we are already planning the next trip. Glad to be here and hope to post some pictures soon.
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Welcome, Dan!

-Mike
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

I can see this was posted in the Midwest Chapter Forum, but it wouldn't hurt to throw myself out there....

Hello all! Filip Tkaczyk here. I go by Fil, to most of my friends. I am 29 years old. I am a full-time outdoor educator at a school NE of Seattle called Alderleaf Wilderness College. I have a B.S. in Wildlife Science from UW, Seattle and have done field work studying bat species on the Olympic Peninsula and nutria in the Seattle area. I shifted my focus from wildlife science to education because I came to realize it was how I, personally, could help make the biggest positive impact on people and their relationship to the natural world.

I am a fan of all wildlife, and have been studying the flora and fauna of the PNW for the past 11 years. Before that I called southern California home. My growth as a naturalist was pretty exponential when I moved up to the PNW, in large part because I had some incredible mentors to help me along, who showed me how to study and because they pointed me to some excellent resources. I did not have that kind of help when I was younger in Cali... I dream of one day being just as familiar with the natural history of California as I am of the PNW.

There is me about 4 years ago with a HUGE P.c. affinis. The snake was at its widest point as big around as my wrist. Found in the same location near Tucson as the creature in the next photo...

I am currently working on co-authoring a book on Tracks & Sign of Reptiles and Amphibians. This book is meant to be a guide to identifying and understanding the tracks, sign and locomotion of herps and its is meant to cover as many species in the USA as possible. I am an experienced tracker, but this book is delving into a very poorly known arena of tracking. Therefore, I am on a constant search for experts and experienced herpers who are willing to give advice, point me to good locations or resources, and/or accompany me in the field.

The intention of the book is several fold:
- To contribute to the understanding of herps, information that may be useful to layman or experienced researchers alike
- To bring positive attention to them, and help encourage more people to see them as worthwhile to protect and conserve
- Along with this, no specific locations will be given in the book as this could encourage possibly destructive collecting or disturbance to sensitive species or locations
- To add to the growing knowledge of trackers, and perhaps encourage or even inspire some new trackers to take up the practice
- To personally learn more about herps, as I love them so much!

For those of you who might be unfamiliar with tracking, it is the study of an animal through what it leaves behind... Be that tracks, scat, burrows, fur, bones, feathers, kill sites, sheds, scrapes, beds, trails and other things. It is a very old practice, but appears to be making a comeback just as the general trend in science is to spend less time in the field and more time in the lab.

Anyway, I am glad to be here and to meet or to have met all of you. Hope to meet some of you in the field one day, as well!
kayfabe

Post by kayfabe »

Hi everyone! My name is Jeremy Schumacher and I am beyond excited to be finally able to go field herping, as I please, in probably the best place to do it in Illinois. A bit about me: I am 31 (soon to be 32), a former independent Professional Wrestler, long time field herping fanatic, lover of nature in any form (be it a tiny spider or gargantuan rock formation), amateur wannabe photographer, and just a laid back, easy going guy. I was never able to do as much in the field as I wanted, maybe a quick trip here or there, but a recent job opportunity for my wife has meant that I now reside a mere 30 minute drive from the infamous Snake Road. I also have the current good fortune of being a house husband which provides me plenty of opportunities to explore the wonders of Shawnee National Forest. On the downside I'm in a new area and don't know anyone. I am hereby extending an invitation to all herpers who wish to explore Shawnee's Snake Road or Cache River to drop me an e-mail and get together for herping or making new friends. I'd also like to give a huge thank you to Mike Pingleton for introducing me to Snake Road. I always learn so much in such a little time from him as I walk a few steps behind and take in all the knowledge and bad puns! :D

Cave salamander in situ
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Welcome Fil! Keep us posted on your book!
-Mike
PNWHerper wrote:
Hello all! Filip Tkaczyk here. I go by Fil, to most of my friends. I am 29 years old. I am a full-time outdoor educator at a school NE of Seattle called Alderleaf Wilderness College. I have a B.S. in Wildlife Science from UW, Seattle and have done field work studying bat species on the Olympic Peninsula and nutria in the Seattle area. I shifted my focus from wildlife science to education because I came to realize it was how I, personally, could help make the biggest positive impact on people and their relationship to the natural world.
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Hey Jeremy! Nice to see you here! Have I mentioned recently how envious I am of your new location? :mrgreen:

-Mike
kayfabe wrote:Hi everyone! My name is Jeremy Schumacher and I am beyond excited to be finally able to go field herping, as I please, in probably the best place to do it in Illinois. A bit about me: I am 31 (soon to be 32), a former independent Professional Wrestler, long time field herping fanatic, lover of nature in any form (be it a tiny spider or gargantuan rock formation), amateur wannabe photographer, and just a laid back, easy going guy. I was never able to do as much in the field as I wanted, maybe a quick trip here or there, but a recent job opportunity for my wife has meant that I now reside a mere 30 minute drive from the infamous Snake Road. I also have the current good fortune of being a house husband which provides me plenty of opportunities to explore the wonders of Shawnee National Forest. On the downside I'm in a new area and don't know anyone. I am hereby extending an invitation to all herpers who wish to explore Shawnee's Snake Road or Cache River to drop me an e-mail and get together for herping or making new friends. I'd also like to give a huge thank you to Mike Pingleton for introducing me to Snake Road. I always learn so much in such a little time from him as I walk a few steps behind and take in all the knowledge and bad puns! :D

Cave salamander in situ
Adam Cooner

Post by Adam Cooner »

Hey, everyone. My name's Adam Cooner. I'm a 26 year-old small animal and exotics veterinarian from Northwest Alabama (and already a member of the Southeast Chapter), but I'm moving to Rensselaer, Indiana, for work in the next few weeks and would like to also gain citizenship in the Midwest Chapter. I'll be splitting time between two clinics in Rensselaer and Winamac, and if anyone's near this area, I'd love to meet up. All of my field herping thus far has been confined to the Southeast, so it'll be a new experience for me.
Trucid

Post by Trucid »

Hi everyone, My name is Matt Schwietz and I have been herping since I was 10 catching buckets of garter snakes. I am currently 25 and married with my first kid on the way in October. I have always loved reptiles and field herping, but just started doing it hardcore this year. I live in Stillwater MN and grew up in White Bear Lake. I am trying to finish my degree in biology but have not decided which direction to go with it yet, would love to get a herpetology degree.

I am an outdoor enthusiast by summer and a gamer by winter.

I worked for Gander Mountain and was on their Pro-Staff for 2 years while I was running a fishing school with my dad, had a great time doing this but stopped in order to go to school which I have yet to finish.

Work full time at the moment in preparation for my son due in October, but that has not stopped from waking up at dawn to go herping on the weekends and I also get out on some short 30 min hikes in Stillwater and always find a few gems.

I am always looking for people to go herping with in the twin cites area, I am getting ready to go on a couple day trips to find some Timber Rattlers and Bullsnakes will post pics as soon as I gets some.
NickAsher

Post by NickAsher »

Hey guys names Nick, Im from central Indiana. Check out my youtube videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NickandNature/videos .
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Welcome Nick and Matt,

Glad to see both of you on here and look forward to your posts!

Check out the NAFHA Database and consider contributing today!

-Chris
AndyKraemer

Post by AndyKraemer »

Hi all, Andy Kraemer here. I'm a grad student at Iowa State. My interest in herps began in Wisconsin, where I grew up in the land of blue-spotted salamanders and wood frogs.

My current research takes me to Massachusetts every year, where I study color evolution in Plethodon cinereus. When I'm not working I seek out herps, especially salamanders, to photograph them.

Here's my Flickr page, where I post my best pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38984611@N03/

Here's my research page: http://kraemer1.public.iastate.edu/Andr ... /Home.html

Starting this year I'll try to post my outings in the FHF. If you're in Iowa and want to do some herping let me know! I'm up for most anything!

Cheers,
Andy
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

hi andy, welcome. where in wisconsin did you grow up?

-ben
AndyKraemer

Post by AndyKraemer »

muskiemagnet wrote:hi andy, welcome. where in wisconsin did you grow up?

-ben

Hi Ben, I grew up just north of the Wisconsin Dells. My biggest herping regret is never tracking down any local massasaugas when I lived there.
dayhl

Post by dayhl »

Hi everyone,

I'm Hannah. I'm currently living in coastal SC but moving back to Southern Indiana in a few short weeks (and also getting married!). I have always been interested in wildlife, but didn't start getting interested in herps until I started working with turtles for my undergraduate research. I went out with a few people and decided I really loved salamanders, and that was my entry-point into this world. I was raised by an artist so my prime motivation is to see beautiful things! I have completed about half of my master's degree in marine biology, which has provided me with some really cool experiences, but now I'm thinking of going in a different direction and moving back to be near my family. This semester I have also been TAing a college herpetology course which has been great! I'm still fairly new to field herping so I'm just starting to get excited about snakes and also just recently registered on H.E.R.P. Glad to meet you all!
:)
Here is a photo of me showing my students the reduced plastron of a Chelydra serpentina caught in a hoop trap for lab.
Industrialman

Post by Industrialman »

Hello everyone my names D.J. I'm from Nebraska, and am new to the world of field herping. I've been doing my research, and have a friend that is on here that takes me out and teaches me about everything. I also have myself a collection of reptiles which includes 2 bearded dragons, a ball python, and a brazilian rainbow boa.

So far on the trips I've gone on with him I have seen brown snakes, massasauga rattlesnakes, ring necks, and milksnakes. I truly enjoy finding these animals in the wild and taking photographs so expect to see some stuff from me this year.
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

Hello everyone,
My name is Phillip Rezin and I live in Rockford, Il (northern Illinois, about an hour west of Chicago) with my wife, daughter, and a baby on the way! I grew up the oldest in my family, and the second oldest of 5 consecutive boys on my father's side of the family and it didn't take long for us to start herping. As far back as I can think I remember hunting garter snakes, frogs, and turtles, and every vacation or trip was turned to a herping trip when the cousins were together.
I'm much older now, I turned 27 on May 30 this year, but my passion for herps, biology, ecology, and nature in general has only grown. I went to University of Illinois and got a Bachelor's degree in Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences, with a concentration in Fish and Wildlife management and conservation, (studied herpetology under Chris Philips!) then worked as a field ecologist for a company called V3 around the greater Chicagoland area for three years! I now own a Wild Birds Unlimited store in Rockford, IL and keep and breed select herps in the basement! My prized possession is my eastern indigo, but I also have very high end bearded dragons and leopard geckos, as well as a monster pixie frog and a saltwater reef tank!
I don't get much time to herp anymore, but have been making an annual trip down to the legendary snake road! My wife isn't really into it (understatement of the year) but she appeases me occasionally :). My first trip produced only a yellow bellied watersnake, but last year I caught all kinds of stuff in only one day! Three cottonmouths, a copperhead, a blue racer, bat rat, eastern box turtle, musk turtle, garter and ribbonsnakes, just to name a few. I had never caught a venomous snake (none of the 5 cousins had!) until that trip! My number one target snake last year was a copperhead, and I checked it off my life list! This year it is Crotalus horridus! I may need a little luck or advice but I intend to keep trying until I find myself one!
Thanks a bunch! Phil
juicebox

Post by juicebox »

Greetings everyone for the third time,

I think I figured out that I only needed to reply in order to post this :), however I can't seem to use my smilies even though the feature is not disabled? Anyways if you haven't read two times already I am New to this forum and I should learn how to use a computer before posting but anyways.
I currently live in Racine WI and I have lived in Wisconsin my whole life.
I love Wisconsin and everything it has to offer except the long, cold winters.
Like some of you, I collected herps by the bucket as a kid growing up on the south side of Milwaukee and now just collect photos and mosquito bites. I actively host educational programs through out the state to help protect and preserve animal habitat best I can. I am the guy who set up the herp displays at Devil's Lake state park nature center, Koehler Andrea state park, Richard Bong state park, Camp Timber Lee, etc.. and have a few animals at home that I keep for the educational programs. I only keep natives, no exotics. I have a Bull, Black Rat, Milk, Fox, Smooth Green, a Garter, a Musk turtle, Painted turtle, Snapping turtle, Tiger sally, and a Spotted sally. I have acquired these animals through several sources, typically local pet stores who can't sell natives call me when kids in the spring-summer dump animals on them. I have had the DNR (John Sinclair) over to my house to record what I have and how these animals are used for education in order to keep a current permit. Father of three, the kids love to help care for the animals, learn about field conservation as well as habitat preservation and restoration. I take em with me any time I can get out in the field. Will probably spend most of this season restoring my own property however hope to spend some time on the south west side of state this summer.

Please do not start sending me your "Hot Spot" locals, I am Not interested:)

-troy
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

juicebox wrote:Please do not start sending me your "Hot Spot" locals, I am Not interested:)

-troy

no body will, but if they do, why wouldn't you be interested? :lol: :lol: :lol:

welcome

-ben
juicebox

Post by juicebox »

Good advice Ben, :beer:

-troy
Jeremiah

Post by Jeremiah »

Hey everyone,
I'm Jeremiah Natte. I've kept herps for awile, but I'm new to field herping and wanted to say Hi!.
I'm in West Michigan. :)
yank gooner

Post by yank gooner »

Just stumbled onto this site and it sure looks like a good place! My name is Cam and I am from Muskego, WI. I am 26 years old and have been interested in herptofauna since I can remember. While I have not been specifically field herping over the years, I am always outside and always make a point to keep an eye out or flip logs and rocks. This board has actually inspired me to be more active in my field herping and I definitely look forward to getting back out in the warmer weather come spring! I have also always been into keeping herps and have certainly kept many different species over the years including several gecko species, ball pythons, boas, turtles, tortoises, tree frogs, and dart frogs.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Hello to the new people. This is a great bunch of folks so I hope you all take some time to post and get to know people.
Tuataurifer

Post by Tuataurifer »

sup Yall,
Justin from the St. Louis area here. I recently was made NAFHA chapter president so figured id introduce myself.
Im an avid recreational field herper and travel as much as possible to see species in the wild and appreciate their habitat. I have made my way around most of the US(still need to make it west!) as well as the Peruvian Amazon for field survey work. I Luckily live in the Southern IL/MO area and have access to lots of cool species in just a few hours drive in any direction. I received my BS in Zoology from SIUC so hitting the nearby herping hot spots was a weekly occurrence. I keep a small collection of herps privately, mostly focusing on locality specific Florida rat snakes and odd ball lizards. I also work full time as a Zoo Keeper at the St. Louis zoo in the Herpetology department where we conduct field work on three continents and maintain one of the most impressive herp collections in the world. I creep on the FHF daily, but rarely sign in until recently, and its still hard to get used to. So if anyone needs me, please feel free hit me up on Facebook(my name on their is Justin Mitchell). Really excited for 2015. Lets all have a good year!
Colinc

Post by Colinc »

Hi Im Colin, Im an old fella over the 50 mark. In what little free time I have I try to do some herping here in the UK, and when we are on vacation. Talking of which, we are headed for SD beginning of September - what are our chances of spotting anything? Anyone got any tips of where to head for, we will be in the Deadwood area, driving up from KC via Nebraska. Will try to post some photos of European stuff later.

Thanks
rhyno

Post by rhyno »

Hello all, my name is Ryan. I've sporadically lurked for awhile but never found the time to make a post until now. I'm originally from North Dakota, but relocated to central Ohio several years ago to do an M.S. in perceptual psychology at OSU (go bucks!!!). I've been a herper since about age 7, but the pickings were pretty slim in central and eastern ND, so even Columbus seemed like herp Mecca when I first started poking around:

Storeria dekayii, near Ohio State campus

Ambystoma texanum, eastern Columbus metro park

My current living situation is pretty awesome, since I can count at least 7 species of amphibians and 3 species of reptiles in my own yard:

Thamnophis s. sirtalis, my backyard

Young Hyla chrysolecis hanging onto my wall

I've also gotten a chance to get out to northeast and southeast Ohio, the Blue Ridge regions of Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia, and finally (!!!) the Great Smokies:

Stocky Desmognathus fuscus with dull coloring typical of Ohio, Summit County metro park

Me with my lifer Plethodon cinereus, near Deep Creek, MD

My fiancee holding our lifer Notophthalmus v. viridescens, Washington & Jefferson National Forest

Me exploring a series of cascading pools in the Great Smokies

I look forward to seeing more posts from you all! (Oh, and if anyone can tell/show me where in Ohio the best spots for spring Ambystoma migrations are, I'd be eternally grateful!)
Herpin' Man

Post by Herpin' Man »

I'm Greg K from Red Wing, Minnesota. I have been obsessed with amphibians and reptiles for my entire life, and with the exception of two or three years in my late teens, I have been keeping them continuously since 1976. My collection has expanded and contracted several times since then, and I have worked with some very interesting species, many of which I wish I still had. I currently work with a modest number of herp species.
My true passion is field herping. I wish I more time for it. Most of my herping is done close to home, particularly here in Minnesota. One of my goals is to find and catch, within the borders of my state, every species native to my state. I am very close. Only two species continue to elude me; the massasauga, and the stinkpot. Unfortunately, neither species is 100% confirmed to occur here at this time, so I may never realize that goal. Still, I love looking for uncommon species. If anybody ever wants to share their most coveted spots, just let me know.
I also enjoy photography, although my own skills need improvement- particularly in the area of being patient enough to get squirmy subjects to hold still. There are some great photographers on this forum, who make it look very easy. I also like country music, beer, and Mexican food- especially while herping.