Drought Double Down

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Schell

Drought Double Down

Post by Schell »

Those of you who read my previous post entitled resolution salamandering know, I committed to redoubling my efforts this year to picking up some of the salamander species that have managed to elude me these past couple years. So when a buddy of mine Brian (http://www.insituexsitu.com) asked if I was interested in a February north-coast trip, I jumped on it. As you also know unless you’ve been living under a rock this year - or to put it another way - especially if you’ve been living under a rock, California has been incredibly dry in 2012. Not a great time to be hunting gummies, but instead of writing off 2012 as lost, I decided to double down instead.

Traditionally, these trips have been less than focused. We would drive to areas, typically parks and the like, flip whatever and find little. This time was going to be different. I was tactical. I spoke to a number of people, sifted through databases, and most importantly received some very sage information from a former local, Michael Spencer. All of this led to the most successful amphibian trip I’ve ever taken.

On Friday morning, Brian and I met up at my office, loaded up my truck and hit the road. After a couple of short hours, we made it to southern Mendocino County. “Mendo” and I’ve come to refer to it, has always had a special place in my heart. Going back to 2003, I went on my first organized herping trip. Ever since, it has maintained mythical status in my physche. And on this day, It would pay dividends.

Our first spot was not what I would initially think of as diverse, but I was assured that this super-fantastic wonderland is awesome. On an otherwise dry stream-bank, some rock, a few boards and some AC yielded little. A little further closer to the stream on a slope with little shade, Brian flipped a long, thin board - under which was completely dry soil and a totally SICK adult spotted Black Salamander (Aneides flavipunctatus).

This is usually where I would put up two or three photos of this awesome animal, so what’s different in this case? Glad you asked.... As Brian was photographing the animal, a brief lunge sent it off the rock and down a hole where extraction was rendered impossible. I was really looking forward to photographing it also. Normally I’d be quite upset, however I was consoled by the fact that Brian was unable to get any decent shots of the animal either.

Besides, I was off finding a much cooler animal. A little further down the bank where a surface seep met the stream, I flipped a rock to find a uniquely colored and gorgeous frog.

Foothill Yellow-legged Frog (Rana boylii)
Foothill Yellow-legged Frog (Rana boylii) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

Foothill yellow legged frog (Rana boylii) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

We left this spot and proceeded down the road to a local watering hole to toast our good fortunes. This would surely be an epic trip.
We headed further west towards the coast - arriving in the late afternoon. We set out to increase our species count and because of a couple of hot-tips we’d received, we quickly would. Our first flip netted us four individuals of three species including the first of our target species. A bit more poking around netted us several more of the same species.

Wandering Salamander (Aneides vagrans)
Wandering Salamander (Aneides vagrans) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

This subadult had an old, but significant dorsal scar. It has been suggested that it’s likely a combative scar from another individual Aneides - I tend to agree.

Additionally we found two Northwestern Salamanders:

Adult Ambystoma gracile
Northwestern Salamander (Ambystoma gracile) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

Subadult Ambystoma gracile
Northwestern Salamander (Ambystoma gracile) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

Lastly were one subadult and three adult Oregon Ensatina - we found about 25 more Ensatina on this day, but I only vouchered one - we had more important quarry to find.

Adult Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis
Oregon Ensatina (Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

After photographing these animals over the next hour or so, we set out to see what else we could find. A short time later we flipped a couple of juvenile Red-bellied Newts (Taricha rivularis). It seems like the defining characteristic of all Taricha species is their absolute and uncompromising ability to sit still. As such, I’ve completely lost my taste for spending any time to actually photograph these species beyond voucher shots - so I apologize to those newt-lovers among you - I won’t be posting any here.

As the sun began setting we hit the trail to scout a route for a night hike. We were of course compelled to flip along the way. Before the daylight gave out, we had one more species in the bag, literally. We bagged the critter to shoot the next day and headed off to dinner. We returned after dark and as the rain began to fall. We were hoping to hike down a Pacific Giant, or Northern Red-legged Frog, we even checked out a cascading stream for tailed frog, but after one, two, and three strikes, we were just two dudes out in the woods hiking in the rain. Little did I expect a home-run on the return trip.

We were getting close to the trail-head where we had flipped most of the cover earlier in the evening. We stopped to check out a downed redwood tree next to the trail which resulted in what was my favorite animal of trip. We bagged the animal to shoot it in more favorable light the next morning.

I apologize for so many photos of this individual, but it was one of the most fun photo shoots I’ve ever done. The animal was charismatic, and every pose was attractive through my lens. Moreover the animal itself, beyond being gorgeous, was totally chill, and whenever I’d pick it up it would use it’s prehensile tail to hold onto my finger. Every once in a rare while there are those shoots that everything comes together - this was one of those.

Wandering Salamander (Aneides vagrans)

Since this post is as much about the photography as it is about the animals, I should go a bit into the gear. As some of you that follow my threads closely know, I have been trying out a new flash configuration. This was also the inaugural trip to try out some Graslon flash modifiers that were highly recommended by Owen Holt. Although they do a wonderful job of softening the light, they also take a lot of punch away from the flash. So I had to stop down both my shutter speed and up my ISO to 200 (something I usually hate doing) in order to get proper exposure. Even with all that, I still had to do some brightening in post. I suppose I probably did myself some disservice shooting this on the dark redwood bark, but under the canopy, the choices are rock, redwood, or moss.

Brian and I swapped animals and I took on the other find from the previous night. This critter was slightly less cooperative, but was compliant when it ultimately mattered.

Southern Torrent Salamander (Rhyacotriton variegatus)
Southern Torrent Salamander (Rhyacotriton variegatus) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

This next shot, I set up for a long-exposure. I took several variations - some with fill flash, others without. Exposures from 1 second to 20. I think this one is the best compromise - a 6 second exposure with fill flash.
Rhyachotriton.variegatus.02 by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

Short of pulling a Pacific Giant or Tailed frog out of out hat, we decided to pack up and push further north. It took us most of the day to get up the very northwestern corner of the state. We stopped at one spot along the way and turned up a couple of solid animals, because of the dropping mercury, we bagged the animals and headed to the hotel. On the way, I found a unique rock, that I was able to procure for the photoshoot (I returned it once I was through). I mainly wanted to see how they would turn out - it’s definitely lends a different feel to the shots - for better or worse. What are your thoughts?

Painted Salamander (Ensatina eschscholtzii picta)
Painted Ensatina (Ensatina eschescholtzii picta) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

Del Norte Salamander (Plethodon elongatus)
Del Norte Salamander (Plethodon elongatus) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

The next morning, we returned our subjects and began to check out some habitat. A few miles up a logging road, we found some promising traits. We headed out and began flipping. After a short while, we came to a clearing, within that clearing, there were several downed redwood logs and logging spoils pile. Within several minutes, we managed to find another one of our targets. It was a large, and colorful individual, however it had a nipped tail that was beginning to regrow - which made it a bit odd to photograph. I didn’t spend quite so much time with this individual and regret it, but I managed to get a couple of shots that I’m quite happy with:

Clouded Salamander (Aneides ferreus)
Clouded Salamander (Aneides ferreus) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

What do you guys think of this one? Does it work or miss the mark?
Clouded Salamander (Aneides ferreus) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

At this location, we also flipped the most gorgeous Painted Salamander I’ve ever seen:

Ensatina eschscholtzii picta
Painted Ensatina (Ensatina eschescholtzii picta) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

With those two finds, we headed a bit further south, stopping at some drive-by sites to spot check for Black Salamanders.

We turned up a few more Torrent and juvenile Del Norte Salamanders, and even flipped this Subadult Northwestern under some leaf litter - that was pretty damn cool.

Ambystoma gracile

The day was wearing on, so we stopped at one last place. Fortunately for us, that place was superbly productive. I flipped yet another juvie Del Norte Salamander - this was was another high-red colored individual, so I had to grab a couple of shots:
Del Norte Salamander (Plethodon elongatus) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

While I was doing so, Brian flipped a very cool juvie Black Salamander - Just look at it!! It also meant we were in the right place. A short time later, Brian had an epic flip - undoubtedly the parents of said juvie. Adult male and female frosted phase Blacks. You can’t do any better than that!

Mother Aneides flavipunctatus flavipunctatus:
Adult, Black Salamander (Aneides flavipunctatus) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

Black Salamander (Aneides flavipunctatus) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

Father Aneides flavipunctatus flavipunctatus:
Black Salamander (Aneides flavipunctatus) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

Baby Aneides flavipunctatus flavipunctatus:
Juvenile Black Salamander (Aneides flavipunctatus) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

Juvenile Black Salamander (Aneides flavipunctatus) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

Riding the success of the day, we packed up and headed inland - hoping to dominate the Aneides species. The next morning was cold and windy - not exactly the best salamander conditions, but you’re not going to find anything is you don’t look, so we grabbed some breakfast and headed out. We first stopped at a spot where I found Hydromantes a couple of months ago. At first glance, I was not optimistic. The moss had dried up, no surface water was to be found - our chances were surely bleak. I was happily wrong - within a couple minutes, I spotted a couple hanging out in the recesses of a small limestone cave.

Shasta Salamander (Hydromantes Shastae)
Shasta Salamander (Hydromantes shastae) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr

We were also able to flip a couple in the pursuit of our other target species. Regrettably, moisture conditions were just not conducive to finding Aneides iëcanus.

While stung a bit to end the trip on a miss, we did manage to find 11 distinct taxa of salamander across every genus that occurs in California. Sadly, without any more significant rain, I think this years’ Caudate activity in California is already on the decline. I didn’t post photos of the Taricha, Batrachoseps or Dicamptodon (larvae) that we found, but I still think by any standards, we did pretty well for a drought year.

For more of my photos, please stop by my website at www.RobSchellPhotography.com

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Rob
Chad M. Lane

Re: Drought Double Down

Post by Chad M. Lane »

Fantastic post and photos Rob! I like the unique rock shots, even if it's slightly unnatural. My only problem is the rather large water marks I understand why, it's just distracting to me.

You found some sweet animals that I wanted to find this year, it just wasn't feasible this year for me.

Cheers,
Chad
michael68

Post by michael68 »

Wow nice post, awesome shots and a bunch of great amphibs.
geckoguy747

Post by geckoguy747 »

dude! EPIC!!! seriously!
Owen

Post by Owen »

Splendid stuff, old chap. And what Josh says: Dude! Epic!
Natalie McNear

Post by Natalie McNear »

Great stuff, Rob! I enjoyed reading about how you got the photos as much as I did looking at them. Was that insane R. boylii from the Awesome Spot?
Schell

Post by Schell »

Thanks everyone! Natalie, yeah the boylii was from the awesome spot - have you seen that coloration there before?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Awesome primer on how to 'focus' on a target... :D these dry conditions (IMO) actually make us better herpers, by making us expand our efforts and thought processes. Goes without saying that the pics are absolutely stunning.... Wow! jim
Natalie McNear

Post by Natalie McNear »

Schell wrote:Thanks everyone! Natalie, yeah the boylii was from the awesome spot - have you seen that coloration there before?
Nope, never seen one like that before there! Come to think of it, I don't think any of the ones I've seen there have had any red at all, just the normal brown/tan color. Although now I have a reason to go back and look harder, haha... I haven't been there in over a year I think. :D
Porter

Post by Porter »

Outstanding photography! :thumb: Those Black Salamander pics... the colors, positioning, and detail look great! I can tell you kept those amphibians moist durring you photo session... great stuff! This is, in my opinion, what a photography post should look like! Good dialog too. Amazing frog by the way ;)
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

WOW, Rob! Excellent job in hunting those down. That boylii is unreal, and I've always wanted to see a gracile. Can you sense the envy? :mrgreen: Echo Josh: "dude! EPIC!!!"
Schell

Post by Schell »

Natalie McNear wrote:
Schell wrote:Thanks everyone! Natalie, yeah the boylii was from the awesome spot - have you seen that coloration there before?
Nope, never seen one like that before there! Come to think of it, I don't think any of the ones I've seen there have had any red at all, just the normal brown/tan color. Although now I have a reason to go back and look harder, haha... I haven't been there in over a year I think. :D
Not sure how widely known that spot is, but someone had definitely been there more recently than that. Some of the cover was out of place and rocks not sealed back up tight. I did the best I could to seal up what I could while I was there.
Porter wrote:Outstanding photography! :thumb: Those Black Salamander pics... the colors, positioning, and detail look great! I can tell you kept those amphibians moist durring you photo session... great stuff! This is, in my opinion, what a photography post should look like! Good dialog too. Amazing frog by the way ;)

I appreciate that. I find that wet salamanders are happy salamanders and tend to be more compliant to boot. It also seems contrary, but I also find that wet salamanders tend to give off fewer reflections than dry amphibians.
hellihooks wrote:Awesome primer on how to 'focus' on a target... :D these dry conditions (IMO) actually make us better herpers, by making us expand our efforts and thought processes. Goes without saying that the pics are absolutely stunning.... Wow! jim
Thanks Jim. I put a lot of legwork into the research beforehand and coupled with Mike's advice - every spot we went was productive in some way. Many times it's not where you look but how you look that makes all the difference. So thanks again Mike!
El Garia wrote:WOW, Rob! Excellent job in hunting those down. That boylii is unreal, and I've always wanted to see a gracile. Can you sense the envy? :mrgreen: Echo Josh: "dude! EPIC!!!"
Thanks "dude!" :beer:
Natalie McNear

Post by Natalie McNear »

Schell wrote:
Natalie McNear wrote:
Not sure how widely known that spot is, but someone had definitely been there more recently than that. Some of the cover was out of place and rocks not sealed back up tight. I did the best I could to seal up what I could while I was there.
Aw crap. I don't think any of the people I know who know of that spot would do something like that (especially since they live farther away than I do). I was thinking for a second it might have been shroomers, but I don't think they would move rocks. Actually, come to think of it, last time I was there I think I did flip some boards and not put them back because they were completely infested with ants and I wanted them to clear out - but you said they were moved more recently than about a year ago? Weird. I didn't touch the rocks the last time I was there, the last time I went looking under those was probably in late 2010.
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Hey Rob,
Great photos! I normally don't have much interest in salamanders, but the colors and details you've presented here really make a strong impression. The red-colored Rana, the big Ambystomas, the baby Aneides flavipunctatus, and the red-backed Plethodon are my favorites.
I don't really like the photos on the black, lined rock better than those with more natural backgrounds. When I saw your HERP database entries with those shots, my first thought was that you found an old record out in the woods. Then I thought maybe it was a piece of fancy tile or flooring of some sort. Anyway, one of those shots would make a cool album cover for DJ Sal Mander ;)
Not sure I like the shot featuring the back-left leg of the clouded salamander. Does it highlight a special, identifying characteristic or something?

Couple more questions for you: Did you find any reptiles on the trip, or were there only amphibians? And lastly, how much for a signed 8x10 print of the red Rana on a rock in the middle of the stream? Seriously. That's a killer photo!

Hope to see you down in SD County this Spring!

Jeff
Schell

Post by Schell »

SurfinHerp wrote:Hey Rob,
Great photos! I normally don't have much interest in salamanders, but the colors and details you've presented here really make a strong impression. The red-colored Rana, the big Ambystomas, the baby Aneides flavipunctatus, and the red-backed Plethodon are my favorites.
I don't really like the photos on the black, lined rock better than those with more natural backgrounds. When I saw your HERP database entries with those shots, my first thought was that you found an old record out in the woods. Then I thought maybe it was a piece of fancy tile or flooring of some sort. Anyway, one of those shots would make a cool album cover for DJ Sal Mander ;)
Not sure I like the shot featuring the back-left leg of the clouded salamander. Does it highlight a special, identifying characteristic or something?

Couple more questions for you: Did you find any reptiles on the trip, or were there only amphibians? And lastly, how much for a signed 8x10 print of the red Rana on a rock in the middle of the stream? Seriously. That's a killer photo!

Hope to see you down in SD County this Spring!

Jeff
Thanks Jeff,

I appreciate your candor. The lined rock, I was purposely a bit vague with, is actually a giant hunk of obsidian that I 'borrowed' for the shoot. I was slightly fatigued of only [really] having three options for natural backgrounds and textures (bark, rock, or moss) or some combination thereof, even fewer options even approximating natural in your standard shit-box motel room. Record ehh? I didn't see that before, but I can see that - that's an interesting interpretation.

Re: the ferreus, Yeah, Aneides vagrans/ferreus species have very squared off toes when compared to other salamanders and even other Aneides species - an adaption to their arboreal lifehistory. My intention was to simply crop out the foot, but I liked the flow of the body around the frame so I kept in in-tact. Some people have said they really like it, others not so much. It's something different than what I normally do, so I'm interested in getting some feedback, but leaning towards keeping it as-is.

We did find one Elgaria with a stubby tail in Shasta, that I have yet to enter in the database. I didn't spend much time shooting it because we were still hoping for an Aneides iëcanus and didn't want to take the time doing a proper shoot.

R: the print - shoot me en email at [email protected].
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Awesome trip! I really really like the yellow-legged frogs and the wandering salis. That's the northern california trip I need to take someday, though it won't be for a long long while. I've never seen an adult boyli, I've never seen a torrent sali or a northwestern in California, and I've never seen a del norte, clouded, painted ensatina, or shasta at all. Plus those wandering salis are definitely worth seeing again. I just would have thrown in some searching for those inland plethadons around the border.
Schell

Post by Schell »

jonathan wrote:Awesome trip! I really really like the yellow-legged frogs and the wandering salis. That's the northern california trip I need to take someday, though it won't be for a long long while. I've never seen an adult boyli, I've never seen a torrent sali or a northwestern in California, and I've never seen a del norte, clouded, painted ensatina, or shasta at all. Plus those wandering salis are definitely worth seeing again. I just would have thrown in some searching for those inland plethadons around the border.
Hey Jonathan - If you're up this way and I'm able - I'm happy to head out with you. When we spoke at the meeting in Escondito, it was this trip specifically that I had in mind when I asked you if you were still going to be in Oregon.

The original intention was to head inland and go after those plethodontids after I missed them in January, but it was simply too cold. Nighttime temps were in the high 20's and daytime temps were in the upper 30's at elevation, so we called the audible to stay on the coast where things were a bit more temperate - I think we definitely saw more critters this way. I still may try to make it up to Siskiyou in April when it starts to warm up a bit more, it just depends on the weather and work.
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Excellent post, Rob.
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Excellent pictures of animals that are not really easy to make them look appealing. I don't mind the watermarks, though, but the squarish flash reflection (especially in that amazing frog) distracts me a little bit as being an unnatural shape, but that's just a minor note. Not that my pictures are comparable by any means... Colors, DOF, all of it, I like it very much!
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Schell wrote: Southern Torrent Salamander (Rhyacotriton variegatus)
Southern Torrent Salamander (Rhyacotriton variegatus) by Rob Schell Photography, on Flickr
Isn't that the cutest little muppet face ever!?

I surely am sad to miss out on rivularis shots, always. One of my major CA nemeses, and reason enough to come back some day. ;)
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Wow, those are some excellent shots. :thumb:
Toxic

Post by Toxic »

I'm amazed at how great all of your salamander shots are, I can't get decent pictures of them to save my life! Fantastic post.
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

Outstanding post. Love that red Yellow-legged frog and the blues on the juvie Black.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Speechless.. :beer:

Amazing series.. Makes me want to go mandering up there..

:thumb: :beer:

Fundad
Schell

Post by Schell »

Thanks everyone!! Your comments are always appreciated!!
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Excellent pictures of animals that are not really easy to make them look appealing. I don't mind the watermarks, though, but the squarish flash reflection (especially in that amazing frog) distracts me a little bit as being an unnatural shape, but that's just a minor note. Not that my pictures are comparable by any means... Colors, DOF, all of it, I like it very much!
Thanks for the comment Jeroen. I am still playing around with this particular flash set-up to see what I like best. I can appreciate the critique about the square catch-light, but it seems that there will always be a trade-off between harsh light and a large reflection caused by a flash modifier.

I do think that the large squarish light is less distracting (to me anyway) than two smaller catchlights caused by my old mt-24 flash.
Schell

Post by Schell »

I received an email a couple of days after I originally published this post from the esteemed herpetologist Dr. R. Bruce Bury of the USGS in Corvallis Oregon.  It turns out that the Black Salamanders we found are not only a NAHERP county record but are only the third time that this species has been documented in Del Norte County. Ever!! Pretty flipping awesome!
Natalie McNear

Post by Natalie McNear »

Sweet, congrats Rob!
Owen

Post by Owen »

Schell wrote:I received an email a couple of days after I originally published this post from the esteemed herpetologist Dr. R. Bruce Bury of the USGS in Corvallis Oregon.  It turns out that the Black Salamanders we found are not only a NAHERP county record but are only the third time that this species has been documented in Del Norte County. Ever!! Pretty flipping awesome!
Nice :thumb:
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Great stuff, I like how you started of the trip with an amazing boylii. Awesome boylii habitat shot too. That Hydromantes is also awesome. :beer: