2012 NE Chapter Contest - February Update

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

brick911

2012 NE Chapter Contest - February Update

Post by brick911 »

Ok, I'm new to keeping track of the contest, so bear with me. If you see any mistakes, have any questions, or are just plain missing from the score sheet - please let me know! Nate did a good job with this last year and I didn't realize how complicated the scoring system was to tally. That said, I think I've got it all straight!

February Update by brick911, on Flickr
brick911

Re: 2012 NE Chapter Contest - February Update

Post by brick911 »

So what does this mean? With the introduction of the new scoring system, let's take a look at who would win each division if it were to end today.

A. Overall - New York and New England

Mike Van Valen

B. Overall - PA/NJ to VA

Jeff Slawson... Remember, Nate and I have been disqualified.

C. Total species

Jeff Slawson

D. Total counties

Jeff Slawson... This would defer to Mike Van Valen though as you can only win two divisions.

E. Rookie Overall

Scott Hammell
brick911

Post by brick911 »

We will have the prizes straightened out before March! ...sooner than later.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Is this an "all-in" report or strictly 2012?

The format looks great.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Anything you've actually entered in the database from January 1st until yesterday... whether you found it in 2012, or in 1993.

The scoring has been a bit of a headache, but I think I have the hang of it now. I had Nate double check what I was doing.

Thanks!
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Have to teach you how to sort...lol

If you are going to have a contest, my suggestion is to base it on 2012 records only and not historical. Some folks may not have a backlog to enter giving the advantage to those that do... or do two contests.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

I like your graphics. Personal county record column would be nice to see, since that is where the majority of the points are coming from.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

The contest has always been "all-in," hasnt seemed to impact the results.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

I can sort, I just figured I'd keep it in alphabetical order (by last name) since we have 5 different categories going.

I was going to go with just 2012, but decided to stick to Nate's "mold" from last year. We can always give an honorable mention to the most records in 2012. :) (It's gonna be me. :lol: :thumb: )
brick911

Post by brick911 »

spinifer wrote:I like your graphics. Personal county record column would be nice to see, since that is where the majority of the points are coming from.
I can add that next time. I'll have to redesign it a bit anyway as the number of participants grow.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

spinifer wrote:The contest has always been "all-in," hasnt seemed to impact the results.
Would still like to see both... doesnt matter.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

John Vanek wrote:Passive aggressive much :lol:
Whatever!
brick911

Post by brick911 »

kyle loucks wrote:
spinifer wrote:The contest has always been "all-in," hasnt seemed to impact the results.
Would still like to see both... doesnt matter.
I'll put together a separate scorecard for herps found in 2012.
Darnell Brister

Post by Darnell Brister »

Looking good Fergie. I'm thinking it should be updated because I just updated my records!!
brick911

Post by brick911 »

I'll be doing an update within a week. Check out the prizes in the announcements section if you haven't seen them.
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

I would agree with Kyle that this should be records entered for 2012 only, not records from 2011 that weren't entered until 2012. I looked at the scoring sheet and for a second was perplexed, until I realized people were entering stuff from 2011. I thought when everyone was saying get your records in, that meant that they were going to count those records to 2011. Just my opinion.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

This is the way the contest has been run, and its main focus is to motivate people to put in records. If someone has been herping for years, I'm hoping it motivates him/her to put in all records. Unfortunately, I realize that's not fair for the new guys, but the quality and quantity of the database is the reason for the contest.

It's an open field this year, and with five ways to win just go for it!
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

brick911 wrote:This is the way the contest has been run, and its main focus is to motivate people to put in records. If someone has been herping for years, I'm hoping it motivates him/her to put in all records. Unfortunately, I realize that's not fair for the new guys, but the quality and quantity of the database is the reason for the contest.

It's an open field this year, and with five ways to win just go for it!
No problem. I won't be in the top tier anyway, and I understand what you are saying about entering records....you don't want people to not enter them simply because it was the past year and we are starting a new one. I appreciate you running the contest a lot, it's always fun to look at statistics and to have extra motivation to look in places and for things you might not otherwise. Thanks...
Darnell Brister

Post by Darnell Brister »

I feel your pain on counting the historical records sstaedtler, but like Brick said we just kept the old way to promote data entries. I am always lazy with data and entered records from december through feburary all at once so I feel like I cheated a little, but there weren't too many entries. I think everyone has a pretty fair chance now that the data pros are out of the game. Count every redback! lol
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

That actually brings me to a question being new here. Let me just give an example. I see 10 redbacks under 3 rocks right next to each other. For me, that's one entry of 10 redbacks in the database. And also, I try to only go to the same sites a couple times in a year. I mean, I could go to a nearby water place and get painted turtles for so many months in a row to rack up my count, but that just doesn't seem right. Or is that good data? How many times can you go to the same site for the same thing or is there not a limit? I mean, I could see entering redbacks a couple times if each of the sites found was a mile or so away from each other....I've always been conservative entering stuff, but I was curious as to what the rules are for entering data. If I find 10 pickerel frogs on a way in the same trail, do I count them 10 times? Up until now, I would only count them once. With Spotted Salamanders recently, I'd only enter them multiple times if the sites were miles away from one another, not in the same vicinity...if I found 15 on a mile stretch, it would be one entry of 15 spotteds...maybe its on the forum somewhere and missed it on entering data. I just want to make sure I am entering correctly. I understand there is no way to have a perfect scoring system....

I agree, Darnell, that it is better without a few of the wiley veterans involved to give the amateurs a fighting chance! When I first joined the board and saw the scorecard it was equivalent to being down 15-0 in the first inning...

EDIT: I think I misunderstood the scoring system on NAHERP NE Chapter. Because of this, the whole paragraph I wrote above...ignore it.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Unfortunately, I realize that's not fair for the new guys,
Actually the data leaders usually get their records in quickly and therefore have very few historic records to enter, so allowing historic records could be viewed as an advantage to the new guys (if they havent gone through and scanned their print photographs yet.) Thats exactly why Kyle doesnt like it, he has zero historic records left to enter. ;)
That actually brings me to a question being new here. Let me just give an example. I see 10 redbacks under 3 rocks right next to each other. For me, that's one entry of 10 redbacks in the database. And also, I try to only go to the same sites a couple times in a year. I mean, I could go to a nearby water place and get painted turtles for so many months in a row to rack up my count, but that just doesn't seem right. Or is that good data? How many times can you go to the same site for the same thing or is there not a limit? I mean, I could see entering redbacks a couple times if each of the sites found was a mile or so away from each other....I've always been conservative entering stuff, but I was curious as to what the rules are for entering data. If I find 10 pickerel frogs on a way in the same trail, do I count them 10 times? Up until now, I would only count them once. With Spotted Salamanders recently, I'd only enter them multiple times if the sites were miles away from one another, not in the same vicinity...if I found 15 on a mile stretch, it would be one entry of 15 spotteds...maybe its on the forum somewhere and missed it on entering data. I just want to make sure I am entering correctly. I understand there is no way to have a perfect scoring system....
Its up to you. If you record separate GPS then you can enter them all separately. If you are using Google Earth to estimate the location, then probably group the close ones together. 1 miles is a big distance to group together, I would probably do more than 1 record over that distance, say every 100-200 meters.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

brick911 on march 5th wrote:I'll be doing an update within a week.
That never happened. :roll:
brick911

Post by brick911 »

I'll try again this week. Sorry. Herping happened.