Quality Entry Contest

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

hellihooks

Quality Entry Contest

Post by hellihooks »

After talking to Brian for a bit, he gave me the go-ahead to initiate a 'Best Entry Contest' To start... entries from 1/1/12 to 6/30/12 will be judged, and then judged quarterly. The judging will be done by the chapter officers, who can submit entries, but not vote for themselves. The judging will be somewhat subjective, for I doubt even we officers can agree on what constitutes 'the best'... :roll: :D
Certain things will obviously gain you points/votes... 1) significance, 2) completeness of data, 3) # & quality of pics (macro for scale counts, ect), 4) quality of comments/additional info.
Here is what I personally consider a pretty good entry...Records: 108101 Large quantity showing variability...All fields filled (cept humidity...which I could not figure out how to input properly{43%}) Good background info in comments. Bonus King!
Others may think other criterion may count for more... range extensions, predation, rarely seen behaviors, ect. and they may be right... If you have any suggestions/ideas/comments... please chime in... we want to have judging criteria which most of us agree with... :thumb:
Lot's of stuff to hash out... number of entries per person, per quarter, but... one point Brian and I agree upon, is that this is NOT a photo contest... Really good pics will count, in the context of ID, scale counts, ect... but... in my book, insitu's will count more than posed shots. ;)
I apologize to all the other Officers for 'volunteering' them without checking with them... but I trust that we will all be willing to put in a modicum of time, to increase the quality of our chapter's data entry... :thumb: Happy 4th Everybody... :D jim

Ross Padilla

Re: Quality Entry Contest

Post by Ross Padilla »

The judging will be done by the chapter officers
LAME! :twisted:

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Ross Padilla wrote:
The judging will be done by the chapter officers
LAME! :twisted:
That can be talked about as well... but... IMO, having the officers vote gives at least a sense of continuity... rather than relying on who knows how many member's might vote each quarter. We don't want this to devolve into a popularity contest either... it's about data... just the data... :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-0Tqa-j ... page#t=99s
here's a thought Ross... win the contest for the next 2 quarters... and run for office next year... :crazyeyes: :D jim

Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

:lol: Its not that important to me.

So, you are saying you have no faith in the members here, as a whole, to decide which entry wins? :cry:

hehe

Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I gave the go ahead? I thought you are I were still in the infant stages of discussing this?

I didn't want this to turn into a heated debate that turns off members.. :roll:

Too late now I guess..

Ross are you being serious? If so I will take the time to offer a solution.

Fundad

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Fundad wrote:I gave the go ahead? I thought you are I were still in the infant stages of discussing this?
Fundad
I thought I had the go ahead to 'run it up the pole'. If no one wants to do it... fine. I think it's a good idea. Just in the one entry I provided a link to... I used my temp gun, my hydrometer, looked up the barometric pressure, the elevation, ect. I WANT to be able to say... THIS is a great entry! I've always felt somewhat guilty for leaving fields empty, knowing that with just a little effort, I could have submitted more complete data.
While I'm not that competitive (anymore) It never sits well with me, putting out less than what I could have, as I believe that anything worth doing, should be done to the best of one's ability. I also look forward to being able to tell a fellow member... now THAT'S a great entry! It's about taking pride in what we do. I'm VERY proud of our Chapter, for a variety of reasons... I would LIKE to add 'Best data entered' to that list... :thumb:

So... who's up for this? Provide an example of what YOU think is a top-notch entry. If nothing else, it SHOULD generate some constructive informative dialog, that should serve us all well.
I actually found it rather rewarding to put out the little extra effort it took to do a top notch entry... if only it had been Arroyos, rather than Baja's... :roll: :lol: :lol: jim

brick911

Post by brick911 »

I think this is a great idea, however, I am simply trying to get people to add records period. That said, I'm on board if this flies.

Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Fundad, No, not really that serious. You guys do what you want with it. I just think it would be more fun if everyone had a say in it. That way it seems more fare and square. Its like when you watch boxing and the judges give it to one guy, but most of the fans think the other guy won. But no debate here at all.

Fundad

Post by Fundad »

@Ross,

What if us board members, brought our individual selections of what we thought was the best to a vote?

In other words we sort though the nominations, and each of present our selections to the membership to vote on?

Fundad

RobertH

Post by RobertH »

I generally like the idea of quality over quantity. But I think we need to view what is "best" in light of the purpose of the database as a whole. If I understand it correctly, at least at this point, our data is used by scientists, land managers, etc., mainly for mapping purposes, i.e., to help map the distribution of certain species. While this requires that entries are of usable quality, most notably by including decent voucher shots and at least approximate GPS coordinates, data such as body temperature, ground temperature, and humidity are in most cases irrelevant.

The matter is, of course, different in cases, such as range extensions, where users will want to know as much as possible about the find. For example, if someone found a Southern Rubber Boa in the San Gabriels, someone like Richard Hoyer would certainly want to know the exact, microhabitat, humidity, moon phase, etc., and extensive notes would be appropriate. However, given that such cases are rare, they don't seem to justify a contest.

Therefore, I, for one, would prefer focusing our efforts on simply growing the database. As we discussed in Brian Hubbs' recent thread, motivation among members to enter data is still not where it could be. While the thread was, again, needlessly acrimonious, it did confirm to me that we need to do an - even - better job addressing certain arguments for not entering data, such as "a record without GPS coordinates is better than no record" and "it is too difficult to enter GPS coordinates;l" or "The database makes no sense because it may include double entries"; or "I am not motivated to enter data unless there is something in it for me, and I am not motivated by the contest."

In my mind, these are all valid, understandable objections, meaning we should not dismiss them out of hand and shoot down those who raise them. Instead, we need to try to understand them better for what they are and then try to address them better than we have before. More contests will simply not achieve that goal. In fact, the current contest may have had the unintended consequence that data entry is perceived by some (or many?) as a "little game" among a few "insiders" who enjoy the bragging rights that come with it. I suppose this may be one reason why Fundad bowed out of the contest this year. While this move is commendable, I don't think it will motivate those who haven't entered data so far to start doing so now.

Having said that, I agree that we should reward - and recognize - quality entries. If someone has entered an unusual find and recorded it well, we should advertise and celebrate that fact by featuring that entry, discussing it, and giving recognition to that person. But, as I had suggested last year, we should do the same with quantity - by recognizing new database participants publicly when they reach certain milestones. That was what I had referred to as "thank you posts." Awarding stars for major milestones would be a way to recognize database participation as people accumulate more seniority.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Jim, but I trust we are both trying to pull on the same rope here. Maybe, I should have started a separate thread. But it seems like our ideas are closely enough related to be discussed together. Let's see what everyone else has to say.

Robert

Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Fundad, that sounds like a very good idea, but if you guys decide you all want to vote instead, that's fine too. If I was the shot caller lol, I would have you guys nominate your best entry for vote, some of you might pick the same one, and link them all on one post without letting it be known, which of these entries were selected by who. Only at the end, would the winning entry be revealed who nominated it.

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Ok... a couple of things real quick, before I get back to fixing my car, so I can make the Soquel Survey.
None of us officers have the time to sort through every entry, and decide which ones are worthy enough to be nominated... members should submit the entries they are particularily proud of. I don't care who votes, as long as they are data enterers themselves.
Robert, you bring up some good points (as usual) and in fact, we're on the same pg, if perhaps a paragraph or two off... :)
One reason I suggested this was so that if a member happens to make a very significant find (Breeding Gilas? :crazyeyes: ) they in fact know how to collect and submit comprehensive data, and are prepared to do so. I had to go to deep creek the other day... but decided that I would take all my data collecting gear (cam, temp gun, hydrometer) just in case I had time to see a herp, and so I would see exactly everything involved in collecting all the data I could. The other stuff I looked up (ele, ect)... It WASN'T that hard to complete every field... :shock: AND... if I had had the time, I might have scored pics/video of a kingsnake eating frogs...Which, when combined with a comprehensive data set, good commentary, ect... would have provided me with an entry I may have deemed worthy for submission as a great entry.
I'm not saying we have to do this for every sb we see... but rather, this is good training 'to be prepared' to collect and submit a comprehensive data set, should the need arise.

This contest also speaks to those who are interested in quality over quantity... and ANYBODY can win this... not just the seasoned herpers who spend tons of time in the field. This contest actually levels the playing field... as in "Hey... I may be a newb, and don't get out that much... but look at this data set I put together!" It gives ANYONE a chance to shine!

And, as always... it's completely voluntary. You don't feel like doing it? Don't. You feel you might want to try collecting a very complete data set... take it from me... it takes herping to a whole nother level of fun... :thumb:
And, I learned a lesson bout being prepared, already. After already seeing one king, earlier in the day, I dropped my son off at a fireworks venue in Apple Valley around dusk, and figured what the heck... decent herping road nearby... so...
Thing is... brought my camera and a hook... and forgot my temp gun, hydrometer, ect... so all I got was the pics... :( jim

Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

That is Awesome, Jim. What a pretty snake. How far north of the SB or SG mountains did you find it?

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

North Apple Valley... so... 10 mi?

Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Yeah, sounds about right. Thanks :thumb:

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

So... we have a 'best photo' winner ONCE A WEEK... :roll: And I can't get any support for a 'best data entry' contest, 4 times a year? :roll: Something Definitely WRONG with THAT picture... :?

How's this then... I trust our Chapter President to pick the best (or top three?) data entries, per quarter... This doesn't have to be a huge controversial deal... like the #'s contest... post a link to what you think was a quality entry, on a thread devoted to that. Every three months Brian can say which he thought were the best. This could catch on, and other Chapters might start doing it. This could help improve the quality of data entry all across the Nation... :shock: Folks might actually have to minimize their local chapter forum, for a few min. and actually VISIT (and who knows...REGISTER.. :shock: :roll: :crazyeyes:) what is ostensibly, the #1 purpose for which we exist... :beer:
If you detect a note of sarcasm... you are wrong... I am never sarcastic... :crazyeyes: :D jim

Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I supported the Idea, as a whole, Jim.. :thumb:

http://www.naherp.com/viewrecord.php?r_id=116109

Fundad

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Range extension for SB ring? I KNOW there are some kick butt entries out there... thx for not setting the bar too high, Brian... :lol: :lol: jim

Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

That is a strange place to find a snake.

Fundad

Post by Fundad »

@Jim it's not a range extension..

Its just a sample record, of what some can do when entering, if they choose..

Here's another example..

http://www.naherp.com/viewrecord.php?r_id=116482

Fundad

Someone may read that and want to know where that property is and want to save if from future plowing, study it, or use it as a baseline for minimum habitat requirements, or whatever.

This is above a beyond, what we expect, but its good stuff IMO.