Heading out to AZ!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

gone herpin

Heading out to AZ!

Post by gone herpin »

So I'm heading out to Arizona tomorrow and I have a few last minute questions. I've heard that the recent spell of cold nights could possibly drive the majority of the reptiles back into hibernation for another week, any thoughts on this? I really would like to see a Banded Gecko, I know to search under artificial cover but what type is the best? I only get one shot at this so I want to be efficient in my flips.

Hopefully it will be a good trip, I'll make sure to share any good photo's!

(I'm a pretty well known name back on the northeast chapter)
frodaman

Re: Heading out to AZ!

Post by frodaman »

Yeah, artificial cover works very well for the Banded Geckos. I have found that they particularly like to hide under flat surfaces like plywood. Find a junkpile and just go to town with it. Yesterday I uncovered four just flipping trash. They are pretty common in the desert scrub habitats - you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding one or two. Good luck!
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

Wear gloves when flipping, as we turned several scorpions yesterday while relocating a debris pile away from my parents house. The little buggers are quick on the draw with their thagomizer.

Best of luck!
gone herpin

Post by gone herpin »

Thanks for the tips guy! I really do appreciate it. Thanks for the glove idea, I'm going today to get a pair. If you ever come east send me a pm and I'll help you out as best I can! What goes around comes back around :thumb:

Also as a second question, what's better; pavement or dirt for cruising?
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Depends on your personal preference... There is no "better" option.. Way too many variables..

The most important thing is to hunt with confidence what ever road your on.. If you keep thinking the other side is better you will not have as much success on either.

Fundad
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

gone herpin wrote:Thanks for the tips guy! I really do appreciate it. Thanks for the glove idea, I'm going today to get a pair. If you ever come east send me a pm and I'll help you out as best I can! What goes around comes back around :thumb:

PM sent. Great to hear from a fellow MDer! I cruised a banded gecko and 2 atrox last night -- en route to the grocery store of all things. Who knew shopping could be so fun?
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Cerastes, atrox and scutulatus love to hang out under boards and other desert trash...just another reason to wear hand protection while flipping. Be safe and have fun.

-Kris
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Yea, I almost bought a trip to the infirmary one spring day when I flipped an atrox under a small board about 6 inches long and 3 in. wide. Most of the time I like to wear leather gloves when flipping....

;) TC
gone herpin

Post by gone herpin »

Going to get gloves today :thumb: I've gotten a lot of great tips and hopefully I'll have some luck!