Gotta Love the beefy Crotes!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

frodaman

Gotta Love the beefy Crotes!

Post by frodaman »

I went out today, with kind of low expectations due to how early in the season it is, but I lucked out! I saw two Common Chuckwallas (which I unfortunately couldnt get pictures of) and this big ol' Crote! I learned to always check the dusty trails for fresh snake tracks! We followed the tracks until we found him! I am happy to say that the season has officially started! Here are sime pics of my ugly face and the Diamondback!

Biker Dave

Re: Gotta Love the beefy Crotes!

Post by Biker Dave »

What time of day?
frodaman

Post by frodaman »

It was around 4:30
ThamnElegans24

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

I am happy to say that the season has officially started!
Actually it started quite a bit earlier, but still a good find.
frodaman

Post by frodaman »

Started for me atleast :P I havent been out much lately.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

OMG! That thing looks like it could eat a horse. Congrats!

PS: Would love to see some chucks. Love those guys, ehheh, and none in my area... ;)

TC
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

Right on, Frodaman. I hear a lot of people talk about getting bored with atrox (I'm guilty, too) but really, little else compares with finding a monster crote. It's those four-and-a-half/ five-footers that really keep these guys exciting for me. :thumb:

Oh, and don't feel bad that you didn't get photos of those chucks. You will, eventually. A lot of us have already seen chuckwallas and are more than willing to wait for a shot that doesn't require you to destroy habitat. Thank you for accepting that particular let-down like a man. I can't tell you how much beautiful habitat I've seen destroyed in pursuit of those guys.

Terry, you should have mentioned that when you were here. We've got some great chuck spots. A couple of them are (sort of) on your way home, too. :lol:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

We'll be looking for all of the above in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve on Saturday. Anyone coming? Ben? Josh? Froda? Terry?

Dave
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

Yeah, I'll be there. We've been to a bunch of new spots lately, but I still want to see at least some of the common stuff for this year. Ben will still be in Parker, though. How long are we going to be out there?
frodaman

Post by frodaman »

Totally would! But Im a poor college student, and unfortunately I have used up my herping-gas money budget for the next little while :oops:

let me know next time!
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Nice find Frodaman. Nice to see snakes early in the year.

A little suggestion - maybe next time follow the atrox to where it hangs out, instead of "hookin" it. You may be able to find it and watch it over the years.
Just a suggestion. I haven't been doing this very long myself, but I have got to see some cool things in a relatively short amount of time. Either way cool find.

If I hooked or even tried to pose this atrox earlier in the year, I would have never gotten these shots:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Great photos Norman!
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Good point, Norman. I only got this one because it was living in my yard, which I allow them to do....
Love the fact that they help keep the rodent populations down and that I can sometimes witness the fact.

TC :thumb:
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Joshua Jones wrote:Terry, you should have mentioned that when you were here. We've got some great chuck spots. A couple of them are (sort of) on your way home, too. :lol:

Yea, I know a couple of them... ;)

I used to go out and see the chucks with Jerry Feldner years ago. I'm going to miss that guy... :(

But, we'll be getting our fix on the spring field trip. There's lots of chucks and iggies and other good stuff out that way.

Terry
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

While I'm certainly in agreement that "in situ" photos are definitely the way to go, I do have to take a moment and commend you for the way you are handling that animal. You're supporting that animal's full weight by using 2 hooks, and honestly that's not something I see many people do when they handle big crotes like that. It's surprisingly easy to injure a big snake like that with improper handling techniques, but your way of handling probably kept the snake reasonably calm as it didn't feel "lost in space" with no support.

I'll echo what others have said in that the quality of photos is much better when you "catch" the snakes doing what they naturally do without direct contact, but if handling is necessary, then the way you're doing it is the way to go. Good job!

-Kris