Finnish herpers return

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

finnishserpent

Finnish herpers return

Post by finnishserpent »

Hello everybody!

This is Matti from Finland here writing. Santra and I visited San Diego area 2 years ago. We met wonderful people thru FieldHerpForum, went field herping and also attended Bio Blitz happening.

We had such great time over there that we decided to come back this year. We hope to meet the great people we met last time and also of course new ones. Our planned route will be LA-San Diego-Phoenix. 18.9.-4.10.

We are interested in spotting herps and taking photographs. No collecting or disrupting the environment.

Best wishes,
Santra Lacy and Matti Miikkola
SurfinHerp

Re: Finnish herpers return

Post by SurfinHerp »

Really looking forward to herping with you two again Matti!

Hopefully this time we will find a wild rosy boa...

Cheers,

Jeff
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Hi Matti,

I recall your trip in 2014 when you met up with Jeff and Chris, and I am glad to hear you are coming back for more.

As you probably know, late September is not a good time for herping in CA. It's about as dry as it gets, right at the end of the dry season and before the first rains in October (if they come).

Still, Nick and I would be happy to take you and Santra herping while you are here. Because Nick is back in school by then, weekends would be best. So, let me know what days might work for you as your plans firm up. We are in LA, but could also meet you, say, in western Riverside County. If we do it early enough, soon after your arrival, we could try to walk sidewinders and shovelnose snakes at a spot we know in the low desert.

Best shoot me a pm to discuss more details.

Robert
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

I respectfully disagree with you, Robert, about Sept./Oct. herping in CA. That time of year can be excellent for night herping - especially for neonates.
finnishserpent

Post by finnishserpent »

Good to hear from you guys! I'll get back to you when we have a more detailed plan of our trip.
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

SurfinHerp wrote:I respectfully disagree with you, Robert, about Sept./Oct. herping in CA. That time of year can be excellent for night herping - especially for neonates.
I agree, some of my best finds have come in September. Should be an excellent fall season this year (I'm hoping )....
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Well, I am glad to hear that others' experience with September is different from ours. At least where we live, in the foothills of the San Gabriel Valley, the last two weeks of September tend to be very hot and dry still. Reemergence doesn't happen until later in fall, usually mid-October, around here. But coastal habitats may be, and probably are, different. The deserts are also different, which is why I suggested night-walking for sidewinders and shovelnoses.

Anyway, we all seem to agree that nighttime is best that time of the year and Matti and Santra can now plan accordingly.

Robert
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Your mileage may vary that time of year, but if it were "me" I would would spend my focus on AZ, NM that time of year, for best results.
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

I agree with Fundad. I wouldn't waste my time in southern California. Arizona is the place to be that time of year.
I would volunteer to spend some time with you in AZ except I'm going to be there in July and then again in late August this year.
It looks like you're planning your arrival in the States after I'm gone.
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

Yep AZ is the place to be if you can get away. Still if you can't neos can be found in numbers. For me I need to slow way down to see them. Those little newborns probably want to feed to have a better chance to survive the over winter. To me it's not as cool as adults but it's better than late July or August....Imo
finnishserpent

Post by finnishserpent »

Hi,

We had wonderful time over there, special thank you to Surfinherp again for being the best guide imaginable. Also hello to everybody else we met, it was really nice meeting all you guys!

We managed to see a nice variety of herps, here are photos of the two most colourful ones:

Hope to see you again!

Santra & Matti
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Matti,

I had a lot of fun herping with you and Santra again! I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

What was your favorite find while in Arizona??

Cheers,

Jeff
finnishserpent

Post by finnishserpent »

SurfinHerp wrote:Matti,

I had a lot of fun herping with you and Santra again! I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

What was your favorite find while in Arizona??

Cheers,

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Chuckwalla was our favourite :) Also the really large desert spiny lizard that came to check us out while we were eating in a restaurant in Ajo was funny guy.

Also we saw really huge centipedes that were spectacular.

We made a photo story of our trip in a Finnish herping forum, if you have time please check it out.

http://keskustelu.herppi.net/topic/2540 ... yksy-2016/
Matti
finnishserpent

Post by finnishserpent »

finnishserpent wrote:
We made a photo story of our trip in a Finnish herping forum, if you have time please check it out.

http://keskustelu.herppi.net/topic/2540 ... yksy-2016/
Matti
The photo credit of one my tarantula shots goes to naturenate, cheers!

Matti
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Matti - I viewed all the photos on the other forum. When you put it all together like that, it really shows the wide diversity of wildlife you encountered during your trip!

The friendly desert spiny lizard seems very charming. I think the blurry lizard labeled "fringe-toed lizard?" looks more like a side-blotched lizard.
finnishserpent

Post by finnishserpent »

Thanks for the correction Jeff!

Yes, the diversity was really wide. And when you add to that the numerous cool mammals and birds we saw it was really something special :)