It never rains in Southern California (or does it?)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

RobertH

It never rains in Southern California (or does it?)

Post by RobertH »

Check out this cool map, which shows the expected rainfall for the next 6 days:

http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/precipForecas ... 1&mobile=0

The San Gabriel Mountains will receive anywhere from 6 to 10 inches of rain (or several feet of snow at the higher elevations). And they have already had about 10-15 inches this season.

I know, this is nothing special for you guys from NorCal. But down here in SoCal, we haven't had rain like this since I don't even know when. 2011? Earlier? All I know is that Nick and I have never herped in conditions like this.

We'll be trying our luck for Ensatina and Arboreals on Saturday before the biggest of the three storms hits on Sunday.

Robert
yoloherper

Re: It never rains in Souther California (or does it?)

Post by yoloherper »

Good luck guys!
We might get more total rain up here, but 6-10 in a storm is a lot no matter where you are! This is shaping up to be quite the winter and a lot of Northern California is on pace for the wettest on record if it keeps up. Lots of stock ponds/vernal pools filled up here that I've never seen this high before.
Should be great herping and let's see some klauberi!
-Elliot
Nature Nate

Re: It never rains in Souther California (or does it?)

Post by Nature Nate »

This is pretty amazing. Still, the pool with the albino Spadefoots that I keep an eye on has not received any standing water yet. My litmus test for a good rainy year is if that spot gets tadpoles. Last time was 2011 from my recollection.
SurfinHerp

Re: It never rains in Southern California (or does it?)

Post by SurfinHerp »

The rains came through as forecast, and Nate's spadefoot breeding pond has really filled up well. I went there the other night and heard at least 5 or 6 spades croaking. There ought to be tadpoles swimming within a week or two.