The Frog will Croak... soon-ish

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Porter

The Frog will Croak... soon-ish

Post by Porter »

I know this isn't necessarily herp related, but I do know that shroomers, buggers, herpers, tidepoolers, all travel the same trails and overlap in fields of interests. If I ever need a bug ID'ed, you're my dudes. So, here's what's up. Below is a storyboard for chapter 1. I'm looking for color options and although the common deer mush seems like the obvious choice, I'm exploring new possibilities. I used one of Hubb's Pond Turtle photos to sample colors from and I'm looking for the same sorce of media in the fungi wolrd. I can put it aside for a little while and work on other things, but I really need some feedback asap. Either post a pic to thread or a link to a photo. I may still end up using a Deer Mushroom, because of other colors in the frame. I'd like to spice it up tho if possible... I probably won't be responding to this, but I'll check back before making the final decision.

Habitat is Oak Woodlands, central valley. Doesn't have to have bumps. No red and whites. native species

Imagefrog storyboard scan by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Here's a couple teasers. Things are coming along pretty good. I should have something to share by the end of April if all goes well...

frog sounds - background music sound check: https://soundcloud.com/user-336035423/d ... ound-check

I've been checking the forum every now and then. Seeing some nice photography being posted and some interesting stories :thumb: Keep up the good work people.
Porter

Re: Mushroom ID please

Post by Porter »

It's a slow, complicated, and time consuming process here at Amphibious Studios... end of May :crazyeyes: :mrgreen: :sleep:

Imageframe_00003 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr
Porter

Post by Porter »

Alright, I need a mind break.... :crazyeyes: :sleep: and figured I'd give you guys a sneak preview of The Croaking Frog with these original GIF-ish vids to entice the minds of the anxious awaiting herplife enthusiasts.

The clock is ticking and the ball is rolling...or the ball is tickin' and the clock is rolling... bouncing. Whatev :sleep:

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I wish I could have another lifetime to find out more about plants, fungi and also rocks. I feel like I just got started.

Interesting and unique creation as usual Porter.

When I was a kid I found a mushroom that looked like a giant coal black popcorn kernel I wonder what it was. It was baseball sized.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Thanks! No idea what that mush coulda been... If my dreams come true, some beautiful weird and interesting biologist will come along and teach me all about them (plants, ect..) I'm keeping myself dumb for her until then :lol: I finished the cartoon mushroom already. Someone contacted me on flickr with suggestion but I ended up mix making a fictional variation instead. Colors just worked better for the mood of the scene. I can get away with that in animation... well, maybe lol We'll see...
Porter

Re: The Frog will Croak... soon-ish

Post by Porter »

:sleep:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Ok, so... no way it will be done by June :? Here's the first video made back around 2008(?) I used to draw comic charater looking frogs in highschool... no real story envolved, but I always drew it as a main character idea. Then years later, I revisted the idea with this video made from drawings in windows paint, constructed with widows movie maker, and a junk reel of garbage jams from cassette tape recording (tim on drums, me guitar). This project has always been on the back burners waiting for a time to shine... I'm not letting it go cold, but it's gonna have ta simmer awhile :sleep: ...end of June

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Its trippy how you blend caricature with elusive yet distinct (and varied) details, of very specific biological correctness that completely erases any cloy of anthropomorphism. It kind of reminds me of Gary Larson, yet Not - its independent not like some art/cartoons Ive seen that have been clearly influenced by Larson. But it shares that same quality of intelligence and trusting the intelligence of your audience.

I like it and I know others do too.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Kelly Mc wrote:Its trippy how you blend caricature with elusive yet distinct (and varied) details, of very specific biological correctness that completely erases any cloy of anthropomorphism. It kind of reminds me of Gary Larson, yet Not - its independent not like some art/cartoons I've seen that have been clearly influenced by Larson. But it shares that same quality of intelligence and trusting the intelligence of your audience.

I like it and I know others do too.
The Far Side guy... I remember him. I'm sure his art is subconsciously buried in my reference back up files along with many other artists and comes out without me even knowing it. I've gone through a lot different stages as an artist and kinda jump back and forth between what seems to work best for each idea. I funny a story about that, actually...lol Years ago, when I was in college, I took a figure drawing class that required us to work with nude models. I was one of the best artists in the class, 2nd to a Japanese girl who never spoke. A few years back I drew a portrait of a herper girl whom I had a crush on and posted it to her facebook in an attempt to impress her. Her girlfriends, mother, sister and a few guys started in with the Nopoleon Dynomite jokes and other movie quote comments :lol: One girlfriend dropped the, draw me like one of your French girls and I didn't recongnize it as first and thought... OMG... :oops: they know one of my ex-girlfriends :oops: :oops: :oops: and I seriously about had a panic attack :lol: Then googled, "draw me like a french girl" for possible urban dictionary reference and realized what movie it was from lol The girl liked her friends comment, so I was relieved after that too :mrgreen: she was always real nice and respectful towards me. Still, I don't think a guy should draw a woman until after they're married and I strongly suggest and stand by that now! :lol: :thumb: ...talk about a head trip :roll:

Loneliness can be a powerful tool... There's been times where I ran with a gang of weasels, heard bullets wiz passed my head like a bottle rocket being played in reverse, roamed from one wolf pack to the next, intimate romantic nights laying with women who loved beyond and deeper than physical quality or activity, hung from the well known roots of a overhanging cliff tree by the Fair Oaks red bridge only to have my drunken life pulled back by to safety by the friends who were with me (RIP Christopher Lyons), and even stopped a 13 yr old girl from being raped/sexually assaulted by little wanna-be gangstas (one had a pocket knife) in Robert Frost Park while I was underage drinking a 40oz walking home from work. I've had a roller coaster life of rough waters that I've tried my best to navigate through without falling apart or turning to the dark side... With extreme happiness comes extreme sadness... now, I'm just burrowed in to my scissorhand's castle, processing it all, patiently awaiting a Winona Ryder rain to revive my soul. She's out there somewhere...

Here's a detailed ballpoint pen sketch of a mountain lion I drew. If I had the time, I would have liked The Croaking Frog to be realistic detailed characters with a bit of more humanistic quality. Similar to Beatrix Potters Tales of Jeremy Fisher but more human like. It's simplified but looking good. I just don't want to rush it and my brain needs a break from time to time :crazyeyes: :lol: I think everyone one will be able to like some aspect of it... the Journey begins soon :beer:

Thanks for the nice words Kelly. Even my enemies can't help but like me...sometimes :lol: I'm cool like that 8-)

Image00000001 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr
Porter

Post by Porter »

:arrow: