DFWHS Herp Survey

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ratsnake

DFWHS Herp Survey

Post by ratsnake »

The DFW Herp Society conducted a herp survey last weekend in Dallas county. The weather was great. The hi temp for the day was in the low 80's. The winds were light and the sun was full. The day started off slow. We did find a few TX spiny.

Spiny in fight mode!

We checked a few coverboard with no luck. They had only been there for a month so we where not expecting much. The first snake of the day was a southern/Broadbanded copperhead intergrade. While i was working with the snake my yougest daughter (8) was taking photos.

Emily's photo

My photos

We had no luck with any of the 40+ coverboards. We were able to find a few skinks.

Emily's photo

I was not able to get a good photo.
We where headed out when the best find of the day apeared quickly crusing across the path in front of us. It was a large Atrox! Clint was able to capture it before it was able to make it to a fallen juniper. It was over 4.5 feet. Dallas county is a know location for very large Atrox. In fact, one of the largest of all time has been found in the county. It was 92" long monster!

Emily's photo

My photo

She may have beat me on this one!

One last shot.

Emily's photo

Mark
Andrew G

Re: DFWHS Herp Survey

Post by Andrew G »

I was down in Texas doing some herping in and near the Metroplex Sunday.... you did a lot better than I did! I came up with a grand total of a ringneck, a ribbon snake, and a lizard that was gone way too fast for me to id.

Looks like you did well, and Emily's got a nice start as a photographer!