Northeast Member Biographies

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

dsnakeman13

Re: Northeast Member Biographies

Post by dsnakeman13 »

Thanks, I am aware that you shouldn't hold species fro a while , and I actually dont know why i said I do hold them, I use to though, but now its more catch, photograph, and release :mrgreen:, but thanks anyway :)
Southnjherp

Post by Southnjherp »

Hey everyone my name is JJ and I'm very new to herping. I currently just graduating from Rowan university with a biology degree and have been introduced to herps in college. I selected a course called simply "herpetology" and didnt realize what I was getting into and now love it. We had to memorize and be able to identify the roughly 80 species of herps in NJ. After this was complete for the last few weeks of the semester we went "herping" I never reloads how much I would enjoy this. We found so many species and had such a good time doing so. I'm not too sure on a lot yet but I've been reading and if you could help me here that would be awesome thanks guys!
acbreptiles

Post by acbreptiles »

Hello Everyone, My name is Justin Lacasse and I am a Herp Enthusiast. My interest of herps like most of you stated at a young age, bringing frogs and snakes home from the woods when i lived in Naples, ME. At 16 I moved here to RI finshed out high school and made the poor decision of not going to college for biology. (long story). I ended up going to trade school to become an auto tech and continued my love for herps while starting a family (now 5 kids and a wife). We collected many types of exotics from ball pythons to pac man frogs and so on. Through the years of collecting we always discussed starting a business breeding, selling, and educating the public on herps both exotic and native. March 27, 2011 we launched Ancient Creature Breeders (ACB).

Now that we have accomplished starting a business we have decided as a family to get even more involved with field herping and conservation. I have joined NAFHA along with some other groups in order to help the herp community do what it takes to conserve and record these great creatures. I continue to herp almost daily here in RI and MA and occasionally return to the 18 acre plot in Naples, ME that my family still owns. I will post my records as much as possible for everyone to enjoy. Happy herping.

P.S. Looking to form a Rhode Island Herp Society!
Justin Lacasse 401 663 5873
[email protected]
http://www.ancientcreaturebreeders.com
BostonHerper

Post by BostonHerper »

Hey everyone,

Names Andrew..26 years old..Grew up in Monmouth/Mercer County NJ...I currently live in Boston, MA. Like everyone here loved herps since I was a kid and tried to bring home everything and anything I could. My parents had 17 acres when I was a kid so I'd spend hours out in the woods flipping everything and looking for turtles/snakes etc..I owned/own all kinds of reptiles. Reptiles have always been a passion of mine. I've been reading the board for about a year now and figured I would sign up finally. A lot of great members here from what I observed over the last year reading.

I'll be at the Reptile Expo in Braintree, MA if anyone will be there and wants to say hi.

Another thing for the Boston/MA residents. Since I'm pretty new to the area I'd love to meet some people to go herp'in with. I don't know any areas around here or anyone to go with. I wouldn't even know where to start around Boston really. Main reason I wanted to finally get on the forums. NJ/MA probably have a bunch of the same stuff but I'm sure theres stuff here I don't see often in NJ. I just want to get back out in the field and have no idea where to start around here. Anyone who'd like to help please send me a PM!
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Hello and welcome to all the new members. Seems we have several new members a month!

Mike VanValen
Vice President
NAFHA Northeast
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

Welcome Andrew and Justin to SE New England ... I try to gather a few of the local herpers on occasion for some field trips (Joemahoney, masshorridus, mikez, SteveWinks, Jimoo742) ... feel free to send a PM and I'll let you know when something is up

Justin, I live in Smithfield ... and Andrew, there are 3 other in Boston (area) ... jimoo742, SteveWinks and Matt Sullivan ... I also work downtown. Several of us were out yesterday as a matter of fact.
BostonHerper

Post by BostonHerper »

Jeffreyrichard wrote:Welcome Andrew and Justin to SE New England ... I try to gather a few of the local herpers on occasion for some field trips (Joemahoney, masshorridus, mikez, SteveWinks, Jimoo742) ... feel free to send a PM and I'll let you know when something is up

Justin, I live in Smithfield ... and Andrew, there are 3 other in Boston (area) ... jimoo742, SteveWinks and Matt Sullivan ... I also work downtown. Several of us were out yesterday as a matter of fact.
Awesome! I didn't expect to find so many in the city. I recently moved here last summer. Coming from NJ (Monmouth/Mercer). I was definitely spoiled herping all the time there and in the Pines.

I'd love to meet up with some of you guys and get out in MA. My girlfriend usually goes along with me since she loves herping too. Niether of us drive tho living in the city, thats really our main problem. We just take the T everywhere. Anytime you guys go out I'd love to join..I live right on Com Ave..Not too far from downtown. Let me know when you guys are going out.
elaphe365

Post by elaphe365 »

Name is Lamar i have been studying reptiles and amphibians for over 20 years. Im also a personal trainer so for now its more about me going hiking. What ever animals i see is always a plus! Ive worked at various zoos, Pet shops and even museums in the past. All working with reptiles and Amphibians. So when i event you guys on a trip with me get ready for a serious hike! That's if you can keep up. Lmao
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Welcome everyone! Lamar, where are you residing?
Kelenken

Post by Kelenken »

I just realized I never posted a bio, even though I've been here on and off for a couple of years! Oops.

I'm a New Englander with a conservation background. I have a user named Gyri to thank for taking me under his herpetological wing. My favorite herps are blue-spotted salamanders and black racers. I also love plants, butterflies, birds and all the other 'collectible' parts of nature a person can obsess over - though I take only photos.

I'm slowly coming out of cancer treatment - fingers crossed. The first day I was diagnosed, I went herping. It's therapeutic. The healing power of musk, I guess :P
ugh

Post by ugh »

Heard lots about you Rosemary-all good things- and that you've had a real tough stretch of bad luck!
Not surprised to hear a little herping helped you feel better. I'll go out on a limb and say I speak for everyone here that we all want you to come out on top so please hang tough! 8-) :thumb:
dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

Wish you the best, cancer only makes you stronger, sounds cliche but its true and outdoor activities are very therapeutic.
Kelenken

Post by Kelenken »

Thanks y'all :)
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Honored to have you here Rosemary!
elaphe365

Post by elaphe365 »

Im from ny so any ny herpers lets get it on!
elaphe365

Post by elaphe365 »

Hang in there Rosemary. Everything will be fine so you can continue herping and enjoying the stuff you love :D .
CrimsonCoils

Post by CrimsonCoils »

I'm another dummy who's been on this board a while and hasn't put up a member bio. I thought I had, but I just looked through all 7 pages.

Anyway, my name is Matt Hampel. I'm 25 years old. I was born in Philadelphia, PA and raised just to the west in Delaware County's suburbs. Like a lot of people on here, I've been chasing snakes since I can remember. Unlike a lot of people on here, I have no formal education in herpetology.

When I was a little kid my uncle would bring me home Garters and Northern Brownsnakes he would find around the warehouse he worked at and it pretty much rolled from there. Eventually he would take me to the swampy areas around the historical Fort Mifflin sight and Chelydra serpentina that appeared to be the size of cars (from a kid's perspective) would slide away and disappear into the waters. The passion this sparked in me throughout my life has led me to approach herps and herping in the field with respect and maturity.

I look forward to future herping, and possibly meeting some of you folks in the field one day. I'll be keeping watch for chapter gatherings in the surrounding areas.
miller.4586

Post by miller.4586 »

Hello everyone,
This is Quinn Miller. I am a recent graduate from The Ohio State University. I have my degree in Natural Resources and majored in Forestry, Fisheries, and Wildlife with a specialization in Forest Ecosystem Science and Management.
I guess in a sense I've been herping for my whole life without really knowing what "herping" meant. Some of my earliest memories were going out with dad in the barn and catching black rat snakes. Within the past year or two I got into keeping a few snakes (bullsnakes, cal king, corns, W. hognose, and Kenyan sand boas). I have also really got into field herping within the past year that got sparked off with a spring break trip to the Everglades.
I am very excited that I found this forum and look forward to getting to know more people with the same passion for nature that I have. If anybody is in my area and looking for someone to herp with, hit me up!
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Welcome Quinn. What area are you in?
miller.4586

Post by miller.4586 »

Sorry, I suppose where I live is an important detail. I live in Carroll County Ohio. That's northeastern-ish Ohio (really the middle of nowhere). 2 hours south of Cleveland and 1.5 hours west of Pittsburgh PA
iamlazer

Post by iamlazer »

Greetings everybody. I'm Jordan from Lebanon County, PA (30 miles ENE of Harrisburg) I have interests in ice hockey, meteorology, hunting, fishing and the outdoors in general.

I'm fairly green to herping, though I have always had a strong interest in reptiles and amphibians. I have increased my searches in the past year (including a trip to Puerto Rico) or so and figured this would be a great place to share my new addiction.
MikeZee

Post by MikeZee »

Hey all,

My name is Mike, and I live in Connecticut. Originally from Europe, but that's another story that you can ask me about if you want more information! I turn 20 in a few months and I absolutely love nature/animals. I'm currently studying in college, majoring in Biology. Plan on taking some herpetology courses they offer. So yeah, if you wish to know more feel free to shoot me a PM!
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Hi there,

My name is Andrea Howlett, and I live in the southwest corner of Boston. My husband Mike and I are avid herpers and try to get out every weekend to see what we can find. I've managed to see, and photograph, a fairly large percentage of herps native to Massachusetts. Our searches are usually centered around Bristol, Norfolk, Plymouth, Middlesex and Suffolk counties.

I've been doing this for less than 10 years; it's something I got into after getting married. I've always loved herps, but didn't know much about them (I'm one of those people who used to see "garden snakes"). I have no formal training/education in herps, but I seem to be pretty good at absorbing information (as well as mis-information, but that's another story).

Thanks for letting me join! I've been lurking on the fora for a while, and decided it was time.
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

ZantiMissKnit wrote:Hi there,

My name is Andrea Howlett, and I live in the southwest corner of Boston. My husband Mike and I are avid herpers and try to get out every weekend to see what we can find. I've managed to see, and photograph, a fairly large percentage of herps native to Massachusetts. Our searches are usually centered around Bristol, Norfolk, Plymouth, Middlesex and Suffolk counties.

I've been doing this for less than 10 years; it's something I got into after getting married. I've always loved herps, but didn't know much about them (I'm one of those people who used to see "garden snakes"). I have no formal training/education in herps, but I seem to be pretty good at absorbing information (as well as mis-information, but that's another story).

Thanks for letting me join! I've been lurking on the fora for a while, and decided it was time.
Welcome ... I work downtown (Fenway) and live in RI ... I try to organize outings on occasion and there is a small group of us who get out (not alot this year unfortunately). Check in with me occasionally and maybe we can get together.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

JeffreyRichard, thank you! I work in the Pru and have never, ever seen any sort of herp right around here. ;) I see a few out "my way" (not far from the Arnold Arboretum). If we can't get out on the weekends, we'll go look in our neighbor's garden for a fix - they have a very healthy colony of Storeia dekayi in there!
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

ZantiMissKnit wrote:JeffreyRichard, thank you! I work in the Pru and have never, ever seen any sort of herp right around here. ;) I see a few out "my way" (not far from the Arnold Arboretum). If we can't get out on the weekends, we'll go look in our neighbor's garden for a fix - they have a very healthy colony of Storeia dekayi in there!
I walk the Fens at lunch ... RES and Painters ...
sirtalis01

Post by sirtalis01 »

Hey FHF Family my name is Julio from NY, keeper and breeder of garter snakes and horn frogs, I've been Herping for as long as I can remember,growing up in Puerto Rico was easy to get caught in to the Herp culture and like most of you guys I was the kid looking under rocks,panels and fences while the other kids play basketball lol...
I've been from FL all the way to CT field Herping...planing some trips for next year to California and Texas :D....
Thanks for reading and happy Herping

Me with a black racer at Harriman state park NY

My anery Oregon red spotted.
Jared Cain

Post by Jared Cain »

Another new member here.

My name is Jared Cain but most call me by my last name. Ive been into herping ever since I can remember. The first 5 years of my life I grew up along a creek in WV finding salamanders. I can remember loving the Mudpuppies or Water Dogs as we called them. I am now 30 and am pretty much a nomad. I can be found in WV and MD most of the time. I am always down for going out herping and most of the time I go alone so if anyone near me wants to meet up that would be awesome!! Im a salamander fanatic and I know where lots of different species in my range are and what types of terrain they are found in.

This year I spent lots of time in Frederick/Washington county MD in the Appalachians. So far I have found Garter Snakes, Rat Snakes, Earth Snakes, and Ring Neck snakes. I would love to know where the Corns and Milks are hiding! As for salamanders I have found Springs, Reds, Red Backs, Lead Backs, Long Tails, Spotteds, Duskys, Two Lined, and Slimys.

I am currently involved in the Maryland Amphibian and Reptile Atlas and have registered for NAFHA. Its great finding places like this especially since I am usually herping alone. I knew there were more people in my area like me!

Along with going out and Herping I like anything space related, ancient civilizations, playing guitar and skateboarding. I have also been keeping and breeding old world chameleons for 9 years now.

Kinyongia tavetana emerging from the egg after 10.5 month incubation :)

And a picture of me.

Hopefully Im allowed to post in this section or if I need to register here let me know because I could only find how to register for NAFHA on their site.

I went through all the bios. What a great group of people! Cant wait to sift through all the old threads and wait for new ones.

Here is a thread I have in the general forum with some pictures also.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13668

Cain
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Jeffreyrichard wrote:
I walk the Fens at lunch ... RES and Painters ...
My plan for 2013 is to take advantage of local parks and Boston's Urban Wilds Network. I really would like to document as many herps as I can find within the city limits. There are several places that I hope to be able to hit, not only on weekends, but after work during the summer. I've been to three or four of them -- one is a very short drive from my house and has produced some cool stuff.

I've also gotten a reliable report of a nerodia seen along the "emerald necklace" that I would love to confirm.
ugh

Post by ugh »

'Bout time we got some minorities up in here, this place was too damn white to be honest.....I mean right, where's the FLAVOR here, really
.........Unfortunately it's still 99.5% dudes lol.
:D
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

Hi Im Garrett Brethauer i live on the corner of butler county/allegheny/beaver pennsylvania i love finding herps especially turtles and snakes :P i am still in high school but have been herping all my life.
tomharten

Post by tomharten »

Hi Folks,

I'm Tom Harten and I live in Calvert County, MD. Like many of you, I started herping as a kid. I liked the books that Kyle referenced, Carl Kauffeld was a particular favorite author, in fact I just re-read Snakes and Snake Hunting a couple of months ago and I am reading Ray Ditmars, Thrills of a Naturalists Quest right now. I grew up in Rockland County, NY and spent much of my middle school and high school years in the field looking for critters. With family responsibilities, I don't get out as much as I'd like to, but still manage to keep my toe in the frog pond, so to speak.

I teach for the CHESPAX environmental education program for the local school system. It's a nice place to work as I get to incorporate field herping in my day to day job and introduce kids to the natural environment. I recently developed a unit that engages students with the Maryland Amphibian and Reptile Atlas project, this is a countywide project, so every seventh grader (1,300+ students) will be out in their backyards and neighborhoods listening for frog calls and reporting other observations for MARA. We started a new website for the project, still bare bones, but will expand as the season gets underway, http://www.calvertfogblog.weebly.com. We also have a project for third graders on head starting diamondback terrapins which connects to a unit of study on the species with a field trip to the Chesapeake Bay http://www.tremendousterrapintour.weebly.com.

I enjoy the forum, but tend to be more of a lurker. I'll make a more concerted effort to post for 2013.

Tom
tomharten

Post by tomharten »

Sorry folks, I posted two links in my bio that don't appear to be working, I'll try again.

http://tremendousterrapintour.weebly.com/

http://calvertfrogblog.weebly.com/
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Gonna hit you up next time down there Tom... some nice areas.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

tomharten wrote:Sorry folks, I posted two links in my bio that don't appear to be working, I'll try again.

http://tremendousterrapintour.weebly.com/

http://calvertfrogblog.weebly.com/
Tom I see you used a froglogger...did you build that yourself?
tomharten

Post by tomharten »

Hey Spinifer,
Our middle school herp project was developed as a part of a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) program. Our school system had funds through a grant, so I was actually able to purchase FrogLogger units with that money. We are using the Song Meter 2 which is produced by a company called Wildlife Acoustics. I've really been happy with them as they are very user friendly and I can get even the most technophobic science teachers to use them with their kids.

They are a bit pricey, $700 a piece, but they allowed us to grab some great sounds and engage the students with authentic science research.

The most gratifying part for me is when I have the students out on canoe trips and they are calling out the frog species that they hear from the nearby wetlands, pretty cool!
BashHarris

Post by BashHarris »

Sebastian Harris here.

Student at Delware Valley College, a year and a half away from a Bachelors of Biology. I started herping relatively late, in my 20th year of being, primarily due to the fact I grew up in center city Allentown, PA. I believe my infatuation with reptiles was spawned from a trip to a tattoo parlor when I was four. The shop had a cobra in it, and I fell in love. I began reading Zoobooks over and over, and watched a lot of Jeff Corwin/Steve Irwin, who were my heroes growing up. I was also an avid fan of Pokemon, which may or may not have contributed to my aspirations of being an explorer. Venomous snakes seem to be my calling, for I've been infatuated with venom and serpents for a long long time. Copperheads, though not the most potent of venomous snakes, are my favorite. Last year was my first in every herp category you could think of. Catching a snake, catching a salamander, you name it. I didn't even know what a vernal pool was, :? . Nonetheless, I've been studying hard and am delighted to continue my conquest here in 2013. I think this forum is wonderful for weirdos like us. Thanks for having me.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

BashHarris wrote: I think this forum is wonderful for weirdos like us.
You are in great company.

I also thought you had been here for YEARS.
Duggles

Post by Duggles »

Hi, All! My name is Doug Simon. I grew up in Annapolis, MD, but have lived in Alexandria, VA for the last 25 years. As with Kyle L., "A Snake Lover's Diary" helped get me hooked as a youngster.

I've been hesitant to post too much because I am really only a "casual" herper these days....more targets of opportunity, rather than the dedicated herping that I see from so many on this site. Still, I do enjoy it. Most of my finds occur while bowhunting in the early Fall or otherwise scouting my deer hunting areas. And, of course, anytime I'm at a social event anywhere NEAR a small patch of woods, I'll be the "anti-social" guy of the bunch who wanders off and starts flipping stuff over... :D

Looking forward to re-engaging with the Forum, even if only a little bit at a time.

Duggles
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Hey Doug, welcome.

You participate in any Va Herp Society activities?
Duggles

Post by Duggles »

Thanks, Kyle. No, I haven't participated in any events yet. Last formal reptile thing I did was attend one of the North American Reptile Breeder symposium/conference in Chicago back in about....85-86? Different group and philosophy, but that was my last formal thing.

Doug
btskanks

Post by btskanks »

-HI-btskanks here, Ron Nichols RN ,I am an army brat, 58yrs young,Belair MD,became addicted to herps when dad stationed at ft. Gulick panama, never recovered ! Married 3 teen girls, one robin, helped me with my breeding/collection everything from n. bluetongue skinks to albino retics to hots. Now all gone, use some rescues for lectures to schools and 4-H, and raised a fem. sulcata and redfoot torts they live in kitchen, out to pen daytime if warm. Didn't get more into photos until got first dslr. Just last yr learned what a vernal pond was from u guys, after going to them for over 30yrs-lol. My username is in honor of my 20+ year old N. blue T. skink cb. 6/90 still going strong, probably handled by over 1500 kids, and father of 30+ kids himself !
Duggles

Post by Duggles »

btskanks . . . Hate to be a grammar nazi on a forum such as this, but I'm thinkin' you might want to put a comma in between "Married" and "three teen girls." It just doesn't look right. :lol:

Duggles
Ted

Post by Ted »

Hey all,

I've been on the forum for a while now, and have been living in Southern California. I'm going to the University of New Hampshire in Durham next year (money permitting), and so will be part of this chapter soon! I won't be out there until late summer/early fall, but I thought I'd introduce myself early. I have family scattered around Massachusetts and have spent a lot of my summers out there, so I understand summer herping, but, being from California and all, I'm not as good with seasonal herping. Other than that, I am also into just about any kind of animal, and also look foreword to learning more about plants in the coming years. I can't wait to get out with some of the people here! :beer:

Until then,
Ted
reptilenut

Post by reptilenut »

Wanted to give a short introduction.

My name is Greg Stephens, I am the president of the Tri-State Herpetological Society operating out of Huntington WV. I have been interested in reptiles and amphibians since I was able to flip my first rock. I am also a reptile keeper, with a collection that includes, Ball Pythons, Childrens Pythons, Leopard Geckos, Bearded Dragons, Dart Frogs, Tokay Geckos, Corn Snakes, and a scaleless Texas Rat Snake.

I started the Tri-State Herptological Society in Oct. 2011 and our open membership has grown steadily. It was created to give residents of WV, Ky, and OH a place to talk about reptiles and amphibians, and the ability to get out in the field with like minded individuals. I have many herping trips planned in the local area, and will be updating information as I gather it.

Thanks to everyone for such a great site, and resource.

Greg Stephens
http://www.tristateherp.com
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Welcome to all new members, it's great to have you here. Prime herping is about to kick off in the Northeast!

Greg, it's good to see another WV member! We need more records from that area of the Northeast.

Mike Van Valen
Vice President
NAFHA Northeast
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

Duggles wrote:btskanks . . . Hate to be a grammar nazi on a forum such as this, but I'm thinkin' you might want to put a comma in between "Married" and "three teen girls." It just doesn't look right. :lol:

Duggles
Actually, looking pretty good from my 50+ vantage point ... hey, if you can, go for it!
:mrgreen:
The Jake-Man

Post by The Jake-Man »

I just realized that even though I've been on here for almost a year, I never posted a bio. Well, my name's Jacob Cramer, I'm a 15 year old sophomore in high school, and I live in sunny Lebanon Pennsylvania. My grandfather is the person who got me interested in herping at a young age. He was a charter member of the Keystone Reptile Club, which is involved in the timber rattlesnake round-ups in the Northern part of the state. I've been herping for as long as I can remember, whether it was flipping rocks in my back yard or looking for timbers in the Northern counties. Until I found this forum, I never realized how lucky I was to have been shown timber rattlesnake dens instead of having to find them myself. I've done a bit of searching in my area, but so far I've come up empty in the horridus department, although I've found some neat species along the way. I'm very lucky in that I get to travel a good bit with my family, which offers some great herping opportunities. This summer I'll be going to Colorado, Ontario, Virginia, and of course a couple round-ups. If anyone is in the Lebanon/Lancaster/Dauphin county area, I'd love to get out some time with you.

I'm glad to be a part of this great community, and I look forward to a good summer of recording data for the database.