It is currently January 16th, 2017, 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2016 Video Retrospective: Northwest Herping Outdoors
PostPosted: December 27th, 2016, 5:21 pm 

Hey folks! Its that time of year for northwest herpers to go indoors to reflect on the past herping season, and to plan for the season ahead. Let us watch some herping videos and keep our herping pilot lights aflame through the winter chill! :D

I have a smartphone and a couple action cameras (osmo/gopro) and in recent years learned that I enjoy many aspects of amateur video production. Learning has been rapid with one hobby (herping) feeding the other (videography) like gasoline on a fire. I'm posting some of my favorite 2016 youtube videos below with the mostly recently uploaded videos first going back into the spring season. I've switched software suites, tools, learned new techniques (still am learning), and hopefully improvement can be seen. My style was influenced by the father/son (Rob/Nicholas) youtube channel smetlogik ( https://www.youtube.com/user/smetlogik ). Uplifting music, herps, wildlife, sometimes educational, sometimes humorous. We do our best at being good ethical herpers, to be citizen scientists, to show adults and children of all kinds enjoying the fun legitimate hobby of herping.

Southern Georgia with the Orianne Society. My only video I'll post here that is not from the northwest. I have footage for PYNH9 coming (NC) too.

Northern Desert Night Snakes in Vantage, meeting other herpers in the field, brush with a suspected poacher.

Kokanee Spawning is not herping, but as they are cold blooded, ectothermic, scaly animals please forgive me.

I'll do another VR video when Google Streetview is released for VR on the HTC Vive. Might also do one on google earth pro for range maps and viewshedding.

Northern Oregon with the_cw1 from FHF, y'all might dig hearing an update about zonata in Hood River.

Pygmy Short Horned Lizards. I think people in western washington are oblivious that we have horny toads in central washington.

The Alvord Desert. First video I edited with Adobe Premiere. New intro graphic was modeled and rendered in Blender.

This was the last video I made on Linux edited with https://kdenlive.org/features/ -- its pretty good for a free editor.

Some herping friends introduced me to the lovely hobby of cruising at dusk and hiking at night in the heat of summer.

This video was posted in the 5/31/2016 FHF NW chapter field meeting discussion thread, so pardon me for posting it here again. Good times.

Not herping exactly but still a good time with herps.

My first video of 2016, a bit rough, but I got to roll around on some dunes and have some fun. I only use free software on Linux for most of these early videos.

Figure some of y'all will recognize a few of these places. I still have a few more 2016 videos to cut from the war chest, but I wanted to get something posted before the new year. As for 2017 -- I have so many herping goals it could make your head spin. Good things to come!

NOTE: If you have feedback on the videos let me know here or in the youtube comments. I know a few typos and old taxonomy mistakes were made (Crotalus oreganus oreganus should just be C.oreganus). Some things I might fix. I don't want to spread any mis-information, out any overly sensitive sites/species, or be ignorant to the law. Herping videos are a lot more work than fishing videos!

Post subject: Re: 2016 Video Retrospective: Northwest Herping Outdoors
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2017, 5:32 am 

I'm still in love with the night snakes, haha. Some of these adventures are pretty wild and I love the landscape shots your equipment can pull up.

Profile WWW 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Video Retrospective: Northwest Herping Outdoors
PostPosted: January 4th, 2017, 3:58 pm 

the_cw1 wrote:
I love the landscape shots your equipment can pull up.

I get a lot of out iPhone panoramic shots, so don't think all my pano's are done on the Osmo. Some of them are very lazy!

The Osmo is like an action camera on a 3-axis gimbal, it can be put on a tripod, and controlled via smartphone to trigger 180 or 360 degree panoramics (it can spin the camera with its own motors). Its convenient in that it can include me as a subject in the panoramics instead of requiring me to wave my phone around to take the shot. One disappointment with the Osmo is it only stitches together low resolution copies of your high resolution images to give you a preview. This means if you want high resolution panoramic image, you have to stitch the individual photos together yourself. Fortunately, there is some great free software to the rescue:

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

The great thing about Hugin, aside from being completely free, is it supports a ton of different projections. You can do your standard panoramic images, you can do fisheye panoramics, polar panoramics, etc. Look at some of the images in this gallery for an idea of the software's capabilities:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/h ... teresting/

What I'm saying is friend, get a tripod, have some idea for what kind of pano or combined images you want to shoot, shoot a series of images while adjusting camera positions on the tripod, and after balancing/tweaking your RAW images output some TIFF/PNG images and feed them into Hugin. You just need to have some overlap between two or more images for the software to determine where they meet (Osmo does 8 images for a 360 pano, think 4-5 for a 180 pano, and it works well in Hugin). You can do this today if you wanted and you can probably hit better qualities with your camera than I can! :)

-ian