Seattle Oct Request for Information

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jason folt

Seattle Oct Request for Information

Post by jason folt »

Hey guys,

I am heading to Seattle for the first time October 15 and 16th for a work conference. I will really only have those 2 days, but would be willing to skip the conference one of the days to try for some amphibians. Hailing from the midwest, I have a pretty big soft spot for salamanders. I have only spent one day poking around outside of Portland, so my NW herping is limited. I enjoyed the crap out of it though. If anyone is willing to meet up for a day or help point me in a general direction of some nice hikes I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I could be convinced instead to hop on a boat and try for some whales. Anyone have any recommendations about that?

Thanks for any help offered,

Jason
foltjr AT gmail.com

AndyO'Connor

Re: Seattle Oct Request for Information

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Being days of the week, I wouldn't be much help as I work until 4pm and by the time we got anywhere worth searching it'd be dark (which isn't a bad thing with the weather we've been having, probably amphibs allover!) but if he has a day off, Josh may be your man. I'll direct him to this post.
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

Thanks Andy!
Joshua Wallace

Post by Joshua Wallace »

I will be available on Wednesday the 16th. Did you have any specific targets on the salamander front?
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

Being work days, I wouldn't be much help either. However, I could give you some pointers as far as micro habitats and good general areas to search. Joshua is probably going to be an even better resource for you.

Glad to see someone coming to visit the land of salamanders and moss... :thumb:
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

Thanks again guys!

Josh - All of them ;) My only three NW herp species so far have been the two above and the red-legged frog. I don't have any major specific targets in mind, would just be happy seeing some habitat and going for the greatest diversity. I don't know how things are out there this time of year, but the ambystomas, copes giant (too far west?), and torrent would probably be highest on my list. Honestly, everything is new. I just enjoy exploring new areas.

Thanks,

Jason
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Jason, it partially depends on how far you can travel. Josh found some range extensions cope's giants near his house I think, and this time of year is good in most of the western part of the state for salamanders since the rain started falling about 2 weeks ago, and won't stop til May.
Joshua Wallace

Post by Joshua Wallace »

This time of year is the best time for the gummy lizards out this way. I can guarantee Torrent Salamanders if we are in range of any of the three species. I have some perfect spots for the three that occur in Washington. Like Andy said it comes down to how far you are willing to travel. The absolute best place is down in the Columbia River Gorge east of Portland, herping there this time of year is rediculous. If you don't want to go that far I have some spots in the Olympics, Willapa Hills, and out in the Cascades.