Has anyone found northern green frogs in western WA?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

M Wolverton

Has anyone found northern green frogs in western WA?

Post by M Wolverton »

Trying to ID a frog I found in Redmond. I've heard there are introduced green frogs in WA, but don't recall where.

It doesn't seem to match anything else. I am not much of a frog nerd.

Dorsal is charcoal gray/black. Belly is white with gray mottling/patches. There was no discernible dorsal pattern, no orange, red, or yellow on the underside.
jonathan

Re: Has anyone found northern green frogs in western WA?

Post by jonathan »

I've found Green Frogs in Vancouver B.C., as well as seeing them frequently back east. Here are a few I found in a city park in Vancouver:

The main diagnostic characteristic (when distinguishing green frogs from bullfrogs) is that dorsolateral ridge, which goes straight back rather than curving around the eardrum like in bullfrogs. Based on that (I don't see the ridge on yours), I would guess that yours is not a green frog.
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

Thanks, I 'll record it as bull frog then.
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

Wolverton, I think bullfrog on your find. It lacks a dorsal-lateral line and has the curve of skin around the tympanum. Weird coloration, but what I can see matches bullfrog. If you take photos of the feet, that would also help. I have studied a variety of different species by looking at foot morphology.