crote ?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

StevePerry

crote ?

Post by StevePerry »

I'm not much of a rattler guy as far as knowledge goes. I've been trying to figure out some of the id differences. There is a lot of misleading info out there such as, I have seen the great basin listed as crotalus viridis lutosus and NP listed as crotalus viridis oreganus?? Is Crotalus viridis (prairie rattler) not a separate species. I have seen these listed several ways depending on where I look.
Idaho shows between 2 and 3 different rattle snakes. Northern pacific(C.o.oreganus), great basin (C.o.lutosus) and prairie(C.viridis). There are many conflicting markers to use when distinguishing between the three. Is the best means to do so by location?
M Wolverton

Re: crote ?

Post by M Wolverton »

C.o.o., C.o.l., and C.v. I think are the latest for the three, have been changed some years back based on mtdna.

Alan St. John's field guide is great for range maps. Mostly if you are well within the range of one of the subspecies, they are easy to identify. But there are thin intergrade areas all along the range edges for oreganus and lutosis. Oreganus and viridus have an intergrade zone through the Salmon River area. The intergrades tend to show varying amounts of pattern traits of both subspecies.
StevePerry

Post by StevePerry »

Thanks, This started when we found (first for me) C.o.l southwest of Boise, From what I remember being told by a local herper. When looking at records on naherp, I see both C.o.l and C.v. listed in counties surrounding Boise but didn't think viridis came that far into Idaho. Also am under the impression that C.o.o. doesn't drop that far south into Idaho.
animal in question
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I don't know the ID differences, but that's a beautiful picture.
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

Looks like a typical lutosis, you could find a duplicate of it in SE OR. They can vary quite a bit in color.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Looks like a lutosus to me too, I own 3 rattlers 2 of which I have def identified as lutosus the third I am still trying to figure out. I love them Crot's! Great pic! If I could figure out how to load images on here I would share my pics! Sorry new to the site only got approved today :D
TravisK

Post by TravisK »

Saint wrote:Looks like a lutosus to me too, I own 3 rattlers 2 of which I have def identified as lutosus the third I am still trying to figure out. I love them Crot's! Great pic! If I could figure out how to load images on here I would share my pics! Sorry new to the site only got approved today :D

Saint,

Welcome to FHF and NW Chapter of FHF. What state do you hail from?
Saint

Post by Saint »

Thank you I am from Idaho. Not many hots keepers here that I have found and am really hoping to meet more hots enthusiasts. Are you a hots fan as well?