Every Oregon County has NAHERP data now!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jonathan

Every Oregon County has NAHERP data now!

Post by jonathan »

As Jefferson just pointed out in another thread, Oregon is finally colored in! Lawrence Erickson got a DOR Rubber Boa and a DOR Wandering Gartersnake as the first vouchered records in Union County:

http://www.naherp.com/viewrecord.php?r_id=200576
http://www.naherp.com/photo.php?v_id=260655

The rise in data for the Northwest in the last couple years has been great. Of course, we need a lot more data for most counties. But getting at least something in every county is a fantastic milestone.

Now, about Idaho....
Calfirecap

Re: Every Oregon County has NAHERP data now!

Post by Calfirecap »

Those last two unvouchered Oregon Counties had been calling me for quite some time then Steve Zimmerman got Morrow just a few weeks ago which brought it down to just the one. So, I took a detour on my way to MT to knock out that last one and feel pretty luck to have gotten the Boa. I had hoped to get a live herp but the route I had planned was blocked with a road closure, so I went to 'Plan B', and that road was closed too. 'Plan C' took me on a route where the roads didn't match up with the map book, so I had to finely resort to 'Plan D' which was to get on the highway and get out of Dodge.

As for Idaho, I've been working on that too. Seven new counties this year, just not all entered yet and a few last year as well. Burned a lot of gas doing it.

Lawrence
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Great work Lawrence!

When I checked to verify Jefferson's comment that Oregon was full, I did notice how much better Idaho is looking. For the first time it seems like there are more filled-in counties than empty ones in the state. I really really wish that I could add to the data there...but I haven't herped Idaho since I was 10, and my dad doesn't have any vouchers for all the great stuff he found in the 70s! (but at least those are scientifically documented). I want to go back, but it's a long ways from Columbia County and my trips to Oregon have been short.
Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

Good job on Oregon and Idaho. You guys had better get those Idaho records in quickly though, because Michigan has gone from 13 missing counties to eight in just the past month. Given another month or two, we might be the first fully vouchered Midwestern state!
P.S. Why can't my state have Pacific Giant Salamanders and cool boas? :cry:
Jefferson