Just relocated to Idaho

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

riverdiver

Just relocated to Idaho

Post by riverdiver »

Greetings Northwest Chapter. I just moved to The Boise area from Las Vegas. I have herped all over the US since the late 60s, but I have never been to Idaho. As an avid herper I was very disappointed when I checked my field guides before moving up here. I live just north of Caldwell Idaho in Canyon County. According to most of the filed guides I live in a small black hole where herps are not found (for the most part). I checked the national herp data base and not a single entry for Canyon Co. THIS PLACE HAS NOT BEEN HERPED EXTENSIVELY! NIce! I look forward to getting some data entered for this area. I have desert and desert grassland a mile to my south, rocky outcroppings and cliffs, and a thick deciduous forest and riparian area a half mile north. And the Boise river runs right through it all. There are also several farms in the area. What makes this habitat unique is that all the different environments come together at a large hill. Some of the northern hillsides and cliffs see little or no sun most of the year. The southern side gets backed. Great diversity of habitat!

According to the field guides there are no salamanders in my immediate area. I believe I will locate and confirm the Long Toed Salamander and the Tiger Salamander in this area. However I have not heard any frogs. That is odd considering I am surrounded by lakes, ponds, and a river.

I am really looking forward to exploring this new area where research is needed. I will post my findings as they happen. I can't wait for spring. And I look forward to free diving the Boise river. I have free dived rivers in Georgia, Arizona, California, And Oregon. You would be amazed by the diversity and abundance of herps in and under the water.
DesertZone

Re: Just relocated to Idaho

Post by DesertZone »

I would doubt if you find any tiger salamanders in that area, but would be cool if you did. Believe it or not, there is a few herps in your area and herpers. I guess it depends on what you wanting to see? You are just north of some of the best herping country in Idaho, but over the past couple of decades it has had a lot more traffic. Would love to herp with you next season if you want. Some places here are full of herps, but just like every place, it can depend greatly on the day. lol
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Good luck! If you want a bit of old advice on the area just south of you, I sent a PM on some of the snake activity patterns in that region.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Boise is a sweet little city, congrats on the move.

The tri-border area (NV, UT, ID) doesn't get much herper action but there are a few of us on the Wasatch Front who get up there a little bit. Or would like to do so more often.

Perhaps come spring we could arrange a bi-chapter get-together in that area.

cheers,
Jimi
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Is your name Marc? There still are no records in naherp.com for your county. If the Wandering garter that was entered recently is yours, it needs a voucher pic to qualify as a vouchered entry. Right now, that county is still up for grabs as a new county, until someone vouchers a herp from it. Have fun up there, and I hope you enter a ton of stuff from Idaho. in the database (http://www.naherp.com). We're counting on you. You're our last hope, Obi-wan...er...I mean, Marc...or whatever your real name is...:lol:
riverdiver

Post by riverdiver »

Thank you for the replies. It is nice to know that there are others in this area that share my interest in local herps.

Yes that Wandering Garter was my entry. I know it does not officially count as I did not get a good pic. But my neighbors tell me they are very common in the spring. I will make as many entries as possible come spring. On a side note...I never expected winter in Boise to be like this. Mid November here is what I expect in Chicago in January. I researched the climate here extensively before my arrival and still got caught with my pants down. Family not happy! I keep assuring them that this is not normal. At least I completed my habitat hikes before the snow came.
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

The weather is not normal, but you never know what to expect.
When late spring gets here you will be pleased with the herps, if you go to the right areas. Hope to meet you this coming summer, it would give me an excuse to get out explore.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I think it's an early winter for most of the country, unless you live in CA or AZ... :lol:
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Mid November here is what I expect in Chicago in January. I researched the climate here extensively before my arrival and still got caught with my pants down. Family not happy! I keep assuring them that this is not normal
Boise is in the banana belt of the intermountain west. It actually has a super nice climate. The recent weather just sucks. Pull up & zip up, don't want to catch frostbite. Come April-May you'll be stoked.

I think Chicagoans are probably complaining about the recent weather! "It's like Siberia!!!" Ha ha.

Cheers,
Jimi