Northwest's NAFHA Accomplishments for 2014 - plus national

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jonathan

Northwest's NAFHA Accomplishments for 2014 - plus national

Post by jonathan »

I'm going to do a writeup on NAFHA in 2014, and I want to make sure that I have all the info for the Northwest chapter. Here's what I know so far:

Surveys and research assistance

Information was given about volunteers being used for amphibian monitoring by Portland Metro. My dad got involved, but did any NAFHA members follow through?

Trips

April: Salamandering in the Columbia Gorge in Washington

May: Lots of desert reptiles and spadefoot toads in the high desert in eastern Oregon and northwest Nevada

June: Yakima River near Ellensburg in Washington

As I've noted before, it seemed like a remarkable number of new people introduced themselves and got to learn about herping on the Northwest forum this year, with many of them entering significant data.

Data

1226 NAHERP records were entered for the Northwest for this year alone. That's 251 records for Washington, 916 for Oregon, 54 for Idaho, and 5 records for British Columbia. There are now 3879 records entered for the Northwest.

Oregon got filled in! Every single Oregon county now has at least some vouchered data. Washington is completely filled in as well, and Idaho (one of the least-surveyed states in the country) is much closer than before.

There weren't any database requests for the Northwest this year. Our only request so far is still the 2012 request by Dr. Tom Mathies for all fence lizard records in Oregon/Idaho/Washington in order to develop a Species Distribution Model for an academic publication. However, now that we increased our records by 50% in this year alone to get up above 3800 records, it's much more likely that we'll get more database requests soon. If we have a similar year next year and reach 5,000 records, I think it's almost certain that more database requests will come in.

Did anyone participate in any education events, habitat or conservation events, or anything else for the chapter this year?
jonathan

Re: Northwest's NAFHA Accomplishments for 2014

Post by jonathan »

The summary for NAFHA's 2014 events across the nation is now posted at Everything that Happened with NAFHA in 2014.

I also updated the Northwest's database numbers for the year in the above post.

If you want more details for the other chapters, go to the individual sub-forums.