Closest area to Portland to find sharp-tails?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

uglyelf

Closest area to Portland to find sharp-tails?

Post by uglyelf »

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this. Feel free to delete the thread if it's not, but does anybody know where to go from Portland to look for Sharptails?

Anybody with experience (or for that matter without) want to take a day or half day trip to look for them? For that matter, want to look for anything else? The weather is unseasonably beautiful; let's take advantage!

-gregory
Richard F. Hoyer

Re: Closest area to Portland to find sharp-tails?

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

Greg:
I performed as study of the species in Oregon starting in Dec. 1997 through about the end of February, 2002. Beginning in Sept. 2013, I began to reacquaint myself with the species and also have been organizing the data I collected that has yet to be published.

If you will scroll down to the Jan. 31 post by Heather, you will note we found a couple of juvenile Sharptails that day. I have since found about 7 - 8 juvenile Sharptails but the finding the species at this time of year is hit and miss. The species becomes more readily found under cover objects at the surface when we experience a number of days of sunshine with temperature starting in the low 60's. Those conditions normally occur in around the middle of March.

You are more than welcome to travel down to Corvallis and I can take you out to see the species.

Richard F. Hoyer ( [email protected] )
uglyelf

Re: Closest area to Portland to find sharp-tails?

Post by uglyelf »

Richard! Thank you for the response!

It was the post from the 31st that got me interested! In sharp-tails. They're way too cute.

Thanks for the response and info! I'll email you.

-gregory