Idaho hots keeper

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Saint

Idaho hots keeper

Post by Saint »

Who in the North West chapter likes hots? I hear Washington has some harsh laws on field herping and I am not sure about Oregon but here in Idaho we can legally catch and possess up to 4 wild caught Rattlers with a valid Idaho hunters license! There are a few caging requirements but that's it! No hots license required! Which is good and bad, also means there is no training available here for hots owners which is def not cool but hey, at least we can own them! I personally own 3 rattlers. Two I caught yesterday and one I have had for a year at the end of this month. Anyone into hots in the North West Chapter? :)
TravisK

Re: Idaho hots keeper

Post by TravisK »

Saint,

Welcome to FHF and the NW Chapter. I am not aware of anyone that keeps hots in the NW. I could be wrong though. You will find that the majority of FHF members are against it. Personally if it is legal in ID and you want to do it responsibly then more power to you. I am barely in WA and couldn't even if I wanted to. Over all keeping natives is something I personally frown upon when done in states where it's legal and am totally against in WA where it is illegal to keep natives. You will have better luck for this kind of thing in the Herpetoculture Forum, see below.

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35

Do you mind if I ask what part of ID you reside?
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

I've had a few over the years, the last one I found out in my yard.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Hey thanks for the responses. I live in South West Idaho by the desert. I know it's legal where I'm at as I work with the fish and game directly to make sure everything is on the up and up. I love the hots but in Idaho the only hots that are legal are native species and you must have a valid hunting license and proof of legal capture or transfer of ownership, you cannot have more than 4, and you cannot buy or sell them... you can however give them/ receive them as a gift... no trading. When I catch them I take pictures with my hunting license and email them to my local Fish and Game contact. Also caging requirements are double screen or glass front enclosures. Also Fish and Game has the legal right to come at any reasonable hour to inspect the animals to make sure they are healthy and properly taken care of. So far I haven't had any visits but they know my caging system and are not remotely concerned. As far as safety I hold that as my highest priority. I never handle them and have never pinned them. The only handling of them I have done is to tail them to sex them and that is it. They get fed weekly and get vitamins with every meal. I have around $1,500 into their cages so they are well taken care of. I also monitor daily highs/lows in temp and humidity. My first one I caught was pretty thin when I found her and although I don't power feed she has def gotten up to proper size. This summer I am going to take them out to the yard (I have a BIG yard) to let them play in the grass some just to get out of the terrarium for a while and let them relax in the sun. The only thing I don't like about the laws about them here is there is no hots license requirements so there are no classes offered on proper handling and keeping. I also report my finds to H.E.R.P. (Herpetological Education & Research Project) to help in the research and documentation of these beautiful animals.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Also thank you TravisK for the link to the other hots keepers. I am new to the site and haven't even figured out how to load up my images :D
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Instructions on loading photos are right here: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=13987
Scott Waters wrote:Below are step-by-step instructions on how to embed photographs, video, and mp3 files on Field Herp Forum. A HUGE thanks to the members of FHF who've put these together. And of course to Don Becker (psyon) for his genius. :)

Thanks,
Scott

-----------------------------------------------------------

HOW TO EMBED PHOTOGRAPHS

by FHF member "Darnell Brister"

Here is a simple way to post your pictures on the fourm. Hope it helps!

1. Sign up for and upload your pictures to a photo hosting website such as photobucket.com.

2. Resize your pictures to an appropriate size for the forum page.

3. Create a thread on the forum.

4. Copy the IMG code and paste the code into the text box on your thread.

5. Preview your post to make sure the code was pasted correctly.

6. After checking the preview, submit your post.

HOW TO EMBED YOUTUBE VIDEO
by FHF member "herpseeker1978"

1. Upload the video to youtube.
2. View the video from youtube.
3. Copy the address, DO NOT CLICK ON THE SHARE BUTTON!!!
4. Paste the address into the youtube tag on fhf
5. Remove the "&" and everything after it

And this should be your result:

HOW TO EMBED MP3 FILES
by FHF member "psyon"

Step 1. If you don't already have a DropBox account, sign up for one using this link: http://db.tt/8W8Kz90
(I totally get free space if you use that link, once I reach my max, maybe we can swap it for someone else's link to them more free space :)

Step 2. Install DropBox on your computer. It will add a special folder on your computer, and when you add files to it, they will get added to the web site. DropBox is a great tool for sharing files between computers as well. Once you add a file to the drop box folder, it will be synced to all your devices that have DropBox installed with your account.

Step 3. Add your mp3 file to the Public folder inside your DropBox folder. Give it a moment to sync to the web site.

Step 4. Goto dropbox.com and login to view your files. Navigate to the Public folder and find your file.

Step 5. Right click on the file, and choose "Copy public link"

Step 6. A dialog will popup with the URL. Choose "Copy to clipboard"

Step 7. Paste that url between tags like you would for an img.

Code: Select all

[mp3]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39913152/recording-20120603-192515.mp3[/mp3]
Put it all together, what what have you got?

NOTE To listen to the audio, you must have a modern browser that supports the <audio> tag. All current browsers support it, but if you use a work computer, and are stuck with IE6 or something... well... you just suck, and don't deserve to enjoy awesome sound clips.

Oh, also as a side note, you can use DropBox to host your photos too.