Do Gambelia wislizenii extend into WA?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

TravisK

Do Gambelia wislizenii extend into WA?

Post by TravisK »

From another thread on the main forum.
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... 33#p244633

According to the above Range map Gambelia wislizenii extend into WA?

Further searching brought a bit more detail, so it makes me wonder if they may actually reach into WA.

http://herpatlas.sdnhm.org/species/full ... lizard/57/

On an unrelated note a very distant relative supposedly found a red white and black snake on the WA side of the Blue Mts near Walla Walla about a year ago. Still haven't tried to get pics from this person as I haven't even seen them in over 15 years, but my little brother mentioned it to me.
sonora

Re: Do Gambelia wislizenii extend into WA?

Post by sonora »

Short answer - no.
Long answer - no, they do not :)
There aren't even dubious site records for WA, as far as I'm aware. There are two old records for Wasco and Umatilla Cos in northern OR, but old, isolated records well removed from the currently accepted range are suspect, at best.
As for the tri-colored snake sightings in WA - I give no credibility whatsoever to "layman" sightings. I know of one instance where a resident of Klickitat Co claimed they saw zonata "all the time" around their property. When the person was asked to collect the next zonata they found for verification purposes, it turned out to be a Diadophis. In my opinion, there is not even a remote possibility that zonata occurs in WA outside of its current Klickitat/Skamania Co distribution.
Steve
TravisK

Re: Do Gambelia wislizenii extend into WA?

Post by TravisK »

Yeah, I don't give too much credence to range maps and even less to eye witness accounts. Apparently there is a picture though so I am trying to get a hold of it for S&G's at the least. You never know though cause there was recent WA records of Whip Tails and if someone said they saw them 4 years ago it would have been dismissed. As the saying goes... 'A picture is worth a thousand words'.