Portland Oregon in February

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

the_cw1

Portland Oregon in February

Post by the_cw1 »

I've been having a blast on my weekends checking out the local herps. Lots of them are already coming out. One thing Portland is amazing at is providing micro environments for these guys to flourish. I've done most of my herping within the city limits and had great luck. Best of all, I don't even think I've been searching particularly hard. Some of these are repeats, but I would like to do a month my by month recap as the year goes on. Right now I don't have a whole lot to report, but it will get better I'm sure.

I'd like to throw out the invitation to anyone in the greater PDX area who is looking for a herping buddy to drop me a line. I'd certainly appreciate someone who knows where to look for rubber boas. I know, they're supposed to be common, but I searched under hundreds of rocks and logs last year all over the state with no luck. Such is life (and striking out, lol). :p

Imageoregon_chorus_frog1_macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Imageoregon_long_toed_salamander_1_macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Imageoregon_millipede_macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Imageoregon_gartersnake_macro1 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Imageoregon_gartersnake_macro2 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Imageoregon_gartersnake_macro3 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Imageoregon_chorus_frog2_macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Imageoregon_chorus_frog3_macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Imageoregon_chorus_frog4_macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Imageoregon_gartersnake_macro4 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Imageoregon_long_toed_salamander_2_macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr

The year thus far:
8 Chorus Frogs
3 Long-toed Salamanders
2 Ensatinas (not pictured)
3 Garter Snakes

I'll be in Costa Rica next week, so wish me luck. :)
Richard F. Hoyer

Re: Portland Oregon in February

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

Derek,
I can't help you with finding the Rubber Boa in the greater Portland area as I have never made searches in that region. I went out today and released two adult males captured on the 10th and found another male at a different site. I also came across my first Common Sharp-tailed Snake today, a very small hatchling from last year.

Richard F. Hoyer (Corvallis)
the_cw1

Post by the_cw1 »

Richard F. Hoyer wrote:Derek,
I can't help you with finding the Rubber Boa in the greater Portland area as I have never made searches in that region. I went out today and released two adult males captured on the 10th and found another male at a different site. I also came across my first Common Sharp-tailed Snake today, a very small hatchling from last year.

Richard F. Hoyer (Corvallis)
I'll have to keep looking then! Thing is, I've looked in East Oregon--Bend, John Day, Deschutes forest, Condon--and in the Tillamook forest with no luck either. I've had better luck looking for rare species.

Thanks for the encouragement though.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Portland's habitats are amazing. Nice additions!

For the Rubber Boas, I think you have to get on Google Earth and look for the clearings. I have one spot that I think has a decent chance of having them, but it'll be hard to find because there's no ideal cover. (I've only seen two rubber boas on the crawl myself.)

I'm won't be back in the States until 2017 or 2018 though. You'll find one by then!
the_cw1

Post by the_cw1 »

jonathan wrote:Portland's habitats are amazing. Nice additions!

For the Rubber Boas, I think you have to get on Google Earth and look for the clearings. I have one spot that I think has a decent chance of having them, but it'll be hard to find because there's no ideal cover. (I've only seen two rubber boas on the crawl myself.)

I'm won't be back in the States until 2017 or 2018 though. You'll find one by then!
Noted. I have some ideas where to look...

:thumb: