High blue Red Spotted Gartersnake

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

shredsteban

High blue Red Spotted Gartersnake

Post by shredsteban »

I came across this snake yesterday while walking around my parents house in Washington County, OR. Found it on the crawl next to a pretty large pond. I climbed down from the road to watch the newts, frogs, ducks and nutria and this was a nice surprise. Took some photos and let it go on its way. How common do concinnus' pop up with this color? Prettiest snake I have seen in a long time.

ImageRed Spotted Gartersnake (Thamnophis sirtalis concinnus) by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

ImageRed Spotted Gartersnake (Thamnophis sirtalis concinnus) by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

chris_mcmartin

Re: High blue Red Spotted Gartersnake

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Very nice!
Entomancer

Re: High blue Red Spotted Gartersnake

Post by Entomancer »

Yeah, I find these every so often.

And I almost always find the the concinnus along the edges of ponds, especially on dry, sunny days.

Here's one I found last summer:

It's not a great photo, but if you look at the labial scales you'll see that they're more blue than red.