Indiana

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

repaphin

Indiana

Post by repaphin »

im going to be in southern indiana near rushville for a family reunion... what snakes can be found in that area.
ps. im from California so...
justinm

Re: Indiana

Post by justinm »

Southern Indiana is an awesome area for Midwest herps. You can find probably 50 species of reptile and amphibian. If you pic some targets I'm sure someone can put you in the right direction as for how to go about it. Big rocks, or small flat ones for that matter, and fallen logs and debris should be good bets. Please let us know how it works out for you.
indianajim

Post by indianajim »

I know the area pretty good. The Rushville area isn't too rich in Indiana herpetofauna in my opinion but you may find some cool finds if you aren't from the area. This isn't the best time for herping either.

Depending on what herps you're looking for, I can name a few that I've found there, Southern black racers, eastern garters, northern water snakes, black rat snakes, Northern brown snakes, eastern milk snakes, and queen snakes may be found in the creeks.
It's a tough time of year for any amphibian activity but you may find two-lined salamanders near the creek edges under stones. You may hear or see cricket frogs as well.

The Butler's garter snake range is in the area but I've never found them there.

Hope this helps
repaphin

Post by repaphin »

Im in ninevah... Any tips?
indianajim

Post by indianajim »

repaphin,

PM me. I might be able to point you in the right direction.
pythonregius3

Post by pythonregius3 »

Just recently got an iPad and new computer so can finally get on here without it taking forever to load. I am from Franklin. Would love to meet up with some of you sometime to herp around here. I like to find any helps but mostly snakes.
repaphin

Post by repaphin »

I might get down there again this summer. I caught like 5 midland watersnakes. I was all over indiana last summer.