Spiny Softshells in Lake Washington!!!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

PNWHerper

Spiny Softshells in Lake Washington!!!

Post by PNWHerper »

Dunno if any of you have heard of Spiny softshell turtles occurring in the PNW. I would not have believed it, if I had not seen it myself. Back in 2006, while I was a student at the University of Washington in Seattle, I use to go out and boat around in the lake shore wetlands adjacent to the campus. An area of restored landfill known as the Union Bay Natural Area.

I have seen many strange creatures and events happen out there. But, these are by far the most unexpected!

I have since seen these turtles much more sparingly, but thankfully back then I was getting into wildlife photography and had my camera handy on one particular day when the huge turtles were out in impressive numbers. I count nearly a dozen on the particular day I took most of these photos, many of them being large adults. Some approaching 18"+ in shell length.

They were very challenging creatures to get close to, and I spent the entire day spotting and approaching them close enough for some good pics.

Here is my photographic record of sorts of my time with these creatures:

This is my first photo of these turtles. Not a very good pic, but its nice to have a mallard for scale. Shows you how big these critters can get. :shock: :thumb:

First one that let me get close enough for a decent pic.

This small one was very hidden. He must have felt confident in his camo, as I got within arms reach of him. He was one of 2 youngsters that I found on that day. Crazy to think that creatures generally associated with the Southeast could reproduce in the cool, dark PNW climate! 8-)

Here is a full body shot. I was amazed by how colorful these turtles were, even as large, mature adults. The youngsters were especially colorful! :thumb:

Here is another youngster. Bit longer snorkel nose on this one.

Here is one of the giant ones, which I assumed was a female.

If I spooked them while stalking up on them, they would vanish for a while. If I saw any sign of them, it was just this much and usually at a distance.

This is the largest one I ever saw in the lake. Her shell was 18"+, and I know that because I actually got close enough to bump into the log she was on. While that close, she stayed for a moment. Long enough for me to compare her to the end of my paddle.

Here is a close up of her face. Anyone know what the white stuff around her eyes might be and why its there?

Another view of that giant one. Cool looking creature, isn't it?! :D

Lake Washington, where I found these turtles, is more or less an urban waterway. It has a fairly abundant turtle population, but very few if any of those are native. I will post at a later date about some of the other turtles I have seen floating around in the wetlands of the lake.

Hope you enjoy!
M Wolverton

Re: Spiny Softshells in Lake Washington!!!

Post by M Wolverton »

Welcome to the forum, and great photos you took.

I believe most of the the turtle species commonly available in the pet trade have been pulled out of Lake Washington over the last 20 or more years.
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

M,

Thank you!

I have heard that from others as well and it would not surprise me. Although, most of those species have not established themselves or reproduced much. The few exceptions are red-eared sliders, western painted turtles and to a much lesser extent spiny softshells.

There may be soon interesting natural selection stuff going on in the lake towards melanistic turtles. I will have to post about this soon...
TravisK

Post by TravisK »

I feel really bad for thinking this is cool. They are a neat species but wow, in WA?
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

Travis,

I know that they are not native. But, they are none-the-less fascinating and are now part of the Lake Washington ecosystem for better or for worse.

I have been theorizing that perhaps the several introduced species of turtles in the Lake that have reproducing populations can survive their in part because they are more tolerant of pollutants and have more flexible habitat requirements than the Pacific pond turtle, which is likely the only native species West of the Cascades in most of WA state. Lake Washington is a large lake, but it is surrounded by urban development and is therefore rather polluted. Its health has certainly improved over the last few decades, but it is still far from pristine.

In western WA, the locations were you tend to find non-native turtles tend to be in urban and suburban area mostly. This is no doubt in large part because of the tendency for people to purchase turtles as pets, then tire of them and release them into the wild. A very poor choice, for both parties.

Pacifc pond turtles are still around, but tend to be found further from populated areas and more so in more pristine, or at least less polluted waterways. They are threatened most by loss of habitat, and are now in very few numbers. I have seen them a few times in the greater Puget Sound region but their population is at a very low density right now.

I will try and get some photos of some western pond turtles this summer, if I find the time. Any of you know of good spots in western WA to see them, other than the Columbia gorge?

Oh, I forgot to add that I know several very well respected herpetologists have said that the Puget Sound population of Pacific pond turtles are extinct and any individuals found in that area are likely introduced. Has anyone done any genetic studies to prove that?
Gary N

Post by Gary N »

PNWHerper wrote:Travis,

...I have been theorizing that perhaps the several introduced species of turtles in the Lake that have reproducing populations can survive their in part because they are more tolerant of pollutants and have more flexible habitat requirements than the Pacific pond turtle, which is likely the only native species West of the Cascades in most of WA state. ...
Painted turtles are in lake WA and elsewhere. Are all of them west of the Cascades introduced?
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

They are in enough separate water bodies that I am not convinced they were all introduced in western WA. Knowing that sliders will survive in most of these same water bodies and that they are far more commonly offered in the pet trade (at least after the early 80s), it would follow that sliders would also be in all those water bodies. They aren't.

Lake Washington may have a mix of native painted turtles as well as introduced ones. Any records of sightings predating the 1950s should indicate the probability of a native presence.
Casey Lazik

Post by Casey Lazik »

Excellent contribution!
I used to regularly rent a canoe in the Arboretum area of the UW and patrol the waters for turtles. I also noticed several melanistic turtles but was unsure of the species. Nice pics!

I have a tendency to agree with Mike on the painted turtles. I think it is quite possible there are "natural" populations west of the Cascades. I'm sure man has helped with some introductions (our specialty in messing things up!), however.

Casey
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

Casey,

That is cool that you are familiar with the Arboretum area and use to canoe out there. Its an excellent wildlife spot right in the city. Its an area that tends to be very under appreciated by many serious naturalists.

As for native populations of western painted turtles, I can totally believe that. I can't personally speak with any authority about it one way or the other. The idea of some of the populations in the Puget sound being native is exciting. Though, admittedly I do not enjoy seeing them any less if they are not native.
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

Here is an additional hatchling/juvenile photo I found in my collection:

From the same area, same time. Came close enough to this one to pick it up, but did not as per did not wish to get bitten. :D
LMeade

Post by LMeade »

Great pics of the spiny softshells. I recently moved from KY and miss regularly seeing these turtles in my hometown. They definitely will try to bite if handled, but also will get you with their claws as they furiously move their legs when picked up.