This may or may not be a great question to ask but WTH

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

torquatoiv

This may or may not be a great question to ask but WTH

Post by torquatoiv »

I just would like to know, what is the absolute best flashlight in everyone's opinion? And I am looking primarily into brightness/distance/battery longevity. Thanks in advance! :thumb:
Mike Waters

Re: This may or may not be a great question to ask but WTH

Post by Mike Waters »

Most people here do not like to give out flash light specifics.

Jk i love my fenix tk 35 it works well for cruising or hiking and at 830 lumens it works as a spotlight too.
socalherper

Post by socalherper »

I use surefire flashlights. They have never failed me. They are small, light in weight, bright and the battery life is great but I always have extra batteries.
Remember you get what you pay for.
Here is the website and a good page with selections.

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights.html
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Mike Waters wrote:Most people here do not like to give out flash light specifics.
:lol: :thumb: It's getting to that point.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Wsup Carm,
I just got the Fennix headlamp... 3 settings, diffuser lens...277 lumens... works great as a spotlight. my only complaint is that the straps are a little small, so a bit of a tight fit. So...might be a problem, for you. :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: jim
Judson

Post by Judson »

Mike Waters wrote:i love my fenix tk 35 it works well for cruising or hiking and at 830 lumens it works as a spotlight too.
:thumb:

I too use the Fenix TK35 and love it. It will run you about $130 with batteries, but well worth the price! I know for a fact I've seen waaaaaaay more snakes this season because of my TK35. Night hiking in a canyon on a new moon you might as well be driving a car with your high beams on, the lightning is ridiculous compared to my old mini maglite and cheapy headlamp.

-I
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

My Fenix HP11 cost like $50 on ebay... throws that 277 lums 150 yrds. I like it for nightwalking, cause you don't have to carry it, like a flashlight. works ok out the window, but I use a plug-in Mill watt spot, for cruisen. come down n cruise with me Carm... try it out... :thumb: jim
torquatoiv

Post by torquatoiv »

Thanks for all the feed back!!

Judson & Mike, about how long would you ruffly say the TK35 lasts with a full battery?
Socal, surefires?

The only reason I ask is because I went and bought spotlight a few years back. It wasn't the higest quality, Stanley $50, but it seemed great. I took it out one night, hiked all the way into a canyon just before dusk, and just when I got to the excitement of using my new beloved piece of equipment... that was suppose to last 2 hours on a full charge...it started to dim completely in less than 15 minutes and left me to rely on my small LED's. So it became my car spotlight, because plugged into the cigarette lighter it works great. But, a recent mishap, an inexperience friend broke my charger cable. So looking for the best of the best. :)

Jimbo, definitely. Give me a call. I just hurt my foot last Monday in my MMA class, I think I tore my plantar fasciitis a little defending a take down...sooooo no class for me currently. I took Bevan out 2 nights ago, drove from my home here near Arrowhead down to Bear Valley Road, to the 247...and roads off there...to P-town....back down around to good ol WW and its sister roads. Saw one GB Gopher, beautiful pinks and oranges, but at the beginning of the trip. lol Oh well me and the three year old had a blast. Was hitting the brakes and she would ask "snake daddy?"Gotta love dead July.
Owen

Post by Owen »

torquatoiv wrote:I just would like to know, what is the absolute best flashlight in everyone's opinion? And I am looking primarily into brightness/distance/battery longevity. Thanks in advance! :thumb:
The answer is the one that's not made yet.

Since you had a rechargable searchlight, I assume size and weight really isn't an issue- or is it?

What kind of budget? $50, $100, $200, more??? Plan on at least $40-$50 for a good LED light of around 300 lumens and closer to $100 for stuff in the 800 lumen range. HID stuff over 2000 lumens can be spendy.

Do you ever need flood, or is just distance your goal?

What kind of run-time?

The only think that I can really advise at this point is to get something with interchangeable batteries as opposed to a built in... that way, you can always carry a spare set or two. My bro is way more versed in flashlights than I, but easier to suggest something with a little more usage specifics.
socalherper

Post by socalherper »

torquatoiv wrote:Socal, surefires?
Sorry I do not no your name,
I have used Surefire lights for years. Surefire is in Fountain Valley and have been around for many years. They are extremely durable and bright ! They start at 200 lumen's. They are light,small and easy to carry. I use mine in the day light to look in rock cracks with awesome results.

They are used in the military and police work.

check out the website.

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights.html

Tony
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

I just bought the Fennix TK-45 a couple of weeks ago off of Amazon after doing some research on flashlights.

My main reason for the purchase is that some of my cruising areas are on roads with 60MPH+ speed limits. Obviously I don't go that fast, but there are other cars and I keep it about 45-50mph. Naturally, when the snake comes into my headlights, I have enough time to swerve, but can't really stop before overshooting it. When I'd get out, my headlamp (Fenix HP-11) didn't throw far and wide enough to find the snake, so I kinda had to run and search for a bit, making me nervous and more likely to lose the snake. With the TK-45, I can get out of the car and shine it down the road (it's effectively as bright as my car's highbeams) and immediately locate the snake.

The only downside is that you can't really use it as a spotlight. It's great as a wall of light (wide area) and has a decent throw for that (enough for me to find the snakes I overshoot, at least), but it's really not very concentrated light. I think the TK-70 is 2200 lumens and has a throw of 800yards (supposedly, I wouldn't believe it without independent testing), but it's super expensive and I couldn't justify spending that much on a torch to go hunt snakes with.

Kyle
torquatoiv

Post by torquatoiv »

Owen

Size and weight are not really an issue. The spotlight I do have is large, and bulky, but that really doesn't bother me at all. This would be a definite hobby investment, dollar value not so important as functionality, so I am looking for the best I can find. With a lot of the suggestions I have got here, I have a good idea of what I am looking for now.

But, overly, run time around 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Distance not so important, most flashlights give a good enough distance, especially good quality flashlights. Brightness, I would like at least what my spotlight puts out, 500+ lumens.

Tony,

My name is Carmen, believe we have met a couple times at the Anaheim show. Maybe not, sorry if I remember incorrectly. I was checking out their website and they definitely have what I am looking for, but I am still cross checking their reviews with the TKs and looking for any additional companies that produce the same. Thanks for the suggestion. Good stuff!
Mike Waters

Post by Mike Waters »

Look up the light on Fenix website and it will tell you the run time. I change batteries about twice a season and i use it alot. I use a surefire when hiking in the daytime, they are good lights as well.
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

While Surefire is an excellent brand, there are several less expensive brands (1/2 the price) that provide the same durability and quality. Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, Sunwayman,Thrunite and Klarus come to mind.

The TK35 that Mike and Judson suggested is an excellent light. Runtimes are as follows: 1.5hrs @820 lumens, 5hrs @ 345, 16 hrs @ 110 and 170 hrs @ 12lumens. Fenix just released an update to the TK35 that produces 860 lumens, so the price of the 820 lumen version should start going down in price over the next couple of weeks. They usually cost about $109 but will probably be marked down to $89.

To get a better idea of prices, runtimes, beam throw, battery type, beam pattern, impact resistance etc. I would check out some flashlight sites before making a purchase (BatteryJunction, Light Junction, WiseGuyGear, BrightGuy, and Going Gear).
If you find a model that interests you, type in the make and model on utube. There, you can find comprehensive reviews on nearly every model of high-end light.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Hey Carmen,
My 4 D mag rolled down a steep bank and into a deep pond, in the Kingstons this spring, while trying to photograph Red Spotted Toads mating. You can have it if you can find it... it was on when it rolled... and I watched the light grow dimmer and dimmer as it sank deeper and deeper. lost sight of it when it hit like 5-6 ft down.. and I'm pretty sure the batteries have wore out by now... so... bring a good waterproof flashlight... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol:
For those of you who don't know Carmen... me and his Dad (C. Torquato III) have been herping buddies since before Carmen was born... so I've literally known him all his life, and now herp with him, his wife, and kids... :D
:D :D :D jim
Oh... a BTW Mike, you JUST might have some REAL arm-wrestling competition, with Carmen... 6' 5" (?) 265... he's a BIG STRONG boy... :shock: :D
Mike Waters

Post by Mike Waters »

Jim, i cant be beaten. :lol:
socalherper

Post by socalherper »

Yes Carmen we have met! Sorry about that. The surefire lights are waterproof too.

Tony
torquatoiv

Post by torquatoiv »

Mike

Thanks for all the info, I have been checking out a nice wide selection of websites now thanks to all of you guys. And as for an arm wrestle, up for it any time, or we can go straight jujitsu maybe jump into some MMA? lol But thank you...and...

Jimbo...I am only 6'1"...245 lbs these days. You have been hiking through the wrong herbs. 6'5"? I wish, actually one of my sparring partners is almost that high, not nearly that heavy though, lighter than me. I am definite heavyweight. As for the flashlight...yup, not feeling that whole "raiders of the lost ark" to find the flashlight. ;)

El Garcia

Thank you for the very in depth flashlight comparison! And for providing all of the additional names and competitors. I tend to go through EVERYTHING I possible can these days before making a purchase.

Tony

No worries, and thank you. I tend to have a pretty good memory with regards to meeting people. Now someone did catch me completely off guard when he said he remembered me from Bob Clark's forums back in the day.

Soopaman

Thanks for the first hand info! I do the SAME thing every now and again on a few different highways...not cool, but I can manuever like a champion around, and occasionally over reptiles. Then jump out of the car, run back, same problem, regular flashlights don't give you a good enough beam to find them while attempting to get them the hell out of the road...and of course not be killed by those of our race that think 60 mph means 90+.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

torquatoiv wrote: Jimbo...I am only 6'1"...245 lbs these days.
Dude... I"M 6' 2"... and you always seem to tower over me... :shock: Maybe I'm sitting down, more often these days... :crazyeyes: :roll: :lol: :lol:
We can have a go at arm wrestling next time you come over...I'll let you know if you're ready for Mike. If I hadn't given up... he'd a broke my arm... :roll: :D jim
Mike Waters

Post by Mike Waters »

:lol: Kids these days, Carmen, its too bad your not old enough to drink, you could be buying my beers all night like Tony did back in september.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Carmens like your age Mike... that's a pic of one of his sons, Caden, at Hook creek, where we flipped a nightsnake at 6200 ft. have another beer Mikey... :beer: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: jim
Rob Wiens

Post by Rob Wiens »

My work issued me a Pelican 8060 LED flashlight to replace my old mag light. It runs 6 hours at 190 lumens. It only takes a couple hours to fully charge and I have yet to have it dim while out in the field.

http://www.thepelicanstore.com/Pelican- ... -1110.aspx

Also it has a nice solid weight to it... in case you need to smack something (or someone) :lol: .
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Hey Carmen. If you want to go with Fenix, LightJunction has a 20% discount on all Fenix products. That would put the TK35 at 88 bucks.