Good Start To The Year

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Rancorrye

Good Start To The Year

Post by Rancorrye »

Just got back from a weekend down south. It wasn't a herp specific trip but I did manage to get out for a few minutes and it paid off.

I saw this cool vulture, which I was pretty happy about. Last time I was down there I missed a picture of one so I was hoping to get another chance.

Along with fence lizards there were a bunch of whiptails and utas out.

And what I was most excited about.....

I managed to flip this Sonora!

Not a bad start to my year with my first snake being a lifer. Spent a little bit of time in this area but this was the only one I saw. On my way out I saw a DOR gopher. I am hoping to return to this spot in May and try for some Tantilla.

Thanks to all who gave me advice on these guys!
Jimi

Re: Good Start To The Year

Post by Jimi »

Habitat shots? More to the story?

Congrats!

cheers,
Jimi
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

Here is a habitat shot Jimi

and the rock it was found under

Not much to the story. We got down there with a couple hours to kill before we could check in to the hotel. We were near an area I had been scoping out on GE so we made a quick stop. I flipped on 1 hillside for about 20 minutes but only saw a few utas. It seemed like a really good spot and I think I'll try there again for Tantilla. We walked a bit further and hung out for a bit enjoying the scenery. We were just about to leave when I decided I'd flip a few more rocks. After about 10 minutes I found it. It was about 2:30 pm with temps around 70* and noticeable moisture under the rocks. Took a few photos and flipped for about another 10 minutes before we had to take off. I stopped at another spot on the way home and flipped for a bit. Everything was bone dry underneath, but it also seemed like a promising spot if it gets a little rain.
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Woot woot!! Love the Sonora!
simpleyork

Post by simpleyork »

lucky you man
Brian Eagar

Post by Brian Eagar »

Congrats on the lifer Rye. Looks like typical habitat for them. I've found tantilla in the same habitat so you should just go back there.
How big was that one?
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

Thanks Brian. It was about 6" or so.
Jeremy Westerman

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

Nice and still on my wish I could see it, some day lifer list. truth be told, I just don't get to put in the time as I live 300 miles away.