Amphibian Weather

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

IReallyLikeHerping

Amphibian Weather

Post by IReallyLikeHerping »

It's raining at my house as I type this, and I'm thinking of taking my kids out to listen/watch for calling/breeding amphibians. Anyone willing to throw out ideas of good bodies of water (big or small) around the Salt Lake Valley...? Only requirement is that it's within a one-hour driving radius from West Jordan area. Would Timpie Springs yield anything? :?:
gbeck

Re: Amphibian Weather

Post by gbeck »

Pretty much anywhere in the valley that is marshy will yield Western Chorus Frogs, especially around the Salt Lake wetlands. You can walk up to them, and they'll quiet down, but within minutes they'll start up again. Doing this, you can get so close that it nearly hurts your ears.

ImageWestern Chorus Frog by Gavin Beck, on Flickr
Jeremy Westerman

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

This year I have heard western chorus frogs (Pseudacris triseriata) calling in Salt Lake and Centerville, I just got back from St. George and heard Arizona Toads (Anaxyrus microscaphus) Woodhouse's Toads (A. woodhousei) and tree frogs ? calling, and found Red Spotted Toad tadpoles (A. punctatus) but that is a bit more of a drive...

Spadefoots I've heard on Stansbury Island before, and out to Skull valley several potential spadefoot ponds are easily located on Google earth.
For frogs you could try for Bear River Refuge, up to Park City to the Swaner Preserve or just take a stroll down the Jordan River Parkway or near your local golf course.
I think given that snow is forecast in the SLC valley on wednesday and a drastic dip in temps this week it may be too early or the early breeding already underway will be postponed for most species still.
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

This is cool. Can we record and post here? Reminds me of back east, the deafening choruses.
IReallyLikeHerping

Post by IReallyLikeHerping »

The snow was a little unexpected, but this weekend may be a good time. Chorus frogs can be frustrating to locate. I swear that I will sneak up on a calling frog, only to turn on my light and shine it at where the sound is, and there will be nothing there. Then, of course, they've stopped calling when the light goes on. I had my light off once while stalking them up AF Canyon, and when I turned my light on finally, there was a huge moose standing in the water 30 yards in front of me. Scared me to death!

I'll check around some SL marshlands and see what I uncover. Hopefully, I'm back with pictures.
gbeck

Post by gbeck »

With the Chorus Frogs, they will stop calling, but give it 5 minutes or so, and they'll start right up again- even to the point that you can be right on top of them.

As for shining a light on them, they can be good hiders. There are two in this picture. Can you spot the other?

Here's a short and older video of them calling in an area right near the Shoreline Preserve in Layton around noon:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_RAU2 ... sp=sharing
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

gbeck wrote:With the Chorus Frogs, they will stop calling, but give it 5 minutes or so, and they'll start right up again- even to the point that you can be right on top of them.

As for shining a light on them, they can be good hiders. There are two in this picture. Can you spot the other?

Here's a short and older video of them calling in an area right near the Shoreline Preserve in Layton around noon:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_RAU2 ... sp=sharing
That's a cool picture, Gavin. I probably wouldn't have even noticed the other one in the picture if you hadn't said something.

It reminds me of this picture I took a few years ago. This is one of my favorite salamander ponds. I snapped this picture and didn't even realize there was a salamander in it till I got home. Can you see him?

ImageDSCN3297 by Rye Jones, on Flickr
gbeck

Post by gbeck »

I had to go to Flickr and use their new zoom feature, but there he is! So cool, Rye. Assuming that's Utah, which county is that in?

I went out a couple times over the weekend to get some footage of the chorus frogs near my house. You can see a short clip here:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=853390348053761
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

gbeck wrote:I had to go to Flickr and use their new zoom feature, but there he is! So cool, Rye. Assuming that's Utah, which county is that in?

I went out a couple times over the weekend to get some footage of the chorus frogs near my house. You can see a short clip here:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=853390348053761
Summit county. It's about a four mile hike into this pond, but well worth it just for the scenery. Last time I was up there I counted 40+ salamanders and larvae in the pond.

That's a great video. One of my goals this year is to get some pictures of some amphibians calling.