Permits/Licensing for Utah Herping

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Biker Dave

Permits/Licensing for Utah Herping

Post by Biker Dave »

What are the rules for herping in Utah? License?
ThomWild

Re: Permits/Licensing for Utah Herping

Post by ThomWild »

This link should help.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/amp ... _reptiles/

The administrative rule tab will take you to the guidebook itself with all of the definitions and background information, but the chart on this link is the easiest way to find general information on specific species. If the species is listed as non-controlled there is usually an annual bag limit of 3 and a total bag limit of 9. There is no license required to collect or manipulate non-controlled species. Controlled species require a COR to collect that species, they also can not be disturbed (holding, manipulating for pics, etc.) for more than 15 minutes. If you have a specific species in mind I can further explain that process. If you are looking for a scientific permit... all I can say is good luck! There is really not an outlined set of guidelines and/or qualifications that I am aware of, which makes the process very arbitrary and unpredictable. I know there are others on here that have much more experience with this than I so hopefully they will chime in and correct me where needed. I hope this helps!

-Thomas
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Great link ....thanks!

Should I be worried that its all dated 2014?
ThomWild

Post by ThomWild »

No.

I think the last revision was done in 2007. It was suppose to be up in 2012 but as far as I know there wasn't enough push from the state or the public to change it so it has carried over the last few years.
JEDDLV

Post by JEDDLV »

Thank you Thom & Biker Dave, headed up that way myself this week, & this is very helpful.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Im leaving tomorrow.....keep yourbeyes open for a black tacoma doublecab prerunner with a bedrack and rack mounted roof top tent.
ThomWild

Post by ThomWild »

Be sure to share what you find. I haven't been able to get out of Sevier County this year so I have to live vicariously through others.

-Thomas
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

It might take awhile.....but I will share..... I will be herpmappering everything.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Hope you did alright Dave. Tough month up here, in general. Spring is best, early fall also good, monsoon is useful for some things, dead summer is...often dead. I'll be curious what you saw.

I dunno if you do much/any keeping but for certain "controlled" taxa (all 3 of our kings, and maybe some others? I forget, not my issue...) you can apply for a "pre-authorized COR". Starting in January I think. So you could have a permit in hand for e.g. a May-June milk trip. Anyway, sorry for the info if it's useless to you.

cheers,
Jimi
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Saw a couple concolor and a couple GB goohers.
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

Jimi wrote:Tough month up here, in general. Spring is best, early fall also good, monsoon is useful for some things, dead summer is...often dead.
I don't know about that Jimi. I generally have pretty good success in the summer months. I guess it just depends on what you are looking for.

I was out a couple weeks ago and ended up with 2 whipsnakes, 3 gophers, 1 lutosus, 7 long nose and a night snake. Last week I got out for about an hour and found 4 garters and a few days ago I was up in the higher elevations and found a bunch of salamanders.... I would say that's pretty lively.

Rye
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Dave - wanna start quite a discussion? Post the rattlesnake photos along with a rough location, and ask for ID opinions. Ha ha. The opinions will flow! Anyway, that's about par for a night or two of July cruising on Utah's Colorado Plateau. My best single night out there was one late May, I got about 15 snakes. Half concolor & half the rest of what's available (~ 5 species). Plenty of good-looking nights out there will yield zero or one snakes, so actually you did alright. Frustrating country, it looks so good but usually doesn't give up many snakes.

What'd you think of what you saw? Nice-looking animals, or "meh"?

Rye - glad you're getting out & around; sounds like a great West Desert night with the longnose. But don't you think you'd have gotten a dozen or more (possibly many, many more...) gophers if it had been in e.g., September?

cheers
Jimi
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

Jimi wrote: Rye - glad you're getting out & around; sounds like a great West Desert night with the longnose. But don't you think you'd have gotten a dozen or more (possibly many, many more...) gophers if it had been in e.g., September?
Yeah, you are right. I probably would have seen 5 dozen neonate gophers if it were September, but that would be the only thing...I usually don't see near the diversity in September as I do in July and August. I guess my point is, that is actually a pretty typical July for me; at least in the northern portion of the state. I can't speak for the southern portion. I generally don't spend a whole lot of time (if any) down there during the summer months.