Anuroctonus phaiodactylus collecting methods

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Desert scorps

Anuroctonus phaiodactylus collecting methods

Post by Desert scorps »

I have found an A. phaiodactylus colony pretty close to my house and when I went back after dark to collect one or two I had a really hard time. I saw at least 15 but came back empty handed. They would sit with their claws out of the burrow (as usual) and when the blacklight hit them they almost immediately fled deep into their burrow. If they did not flee from the blacklight, they would when I walked within 3 feet from the entrance to the burrow. I am wondering if there are any methods I could use to get them out without digging them up. Also if you're concerned about over-collecting, I will be sure to take 3 at most. My main goal is to breed this species, but if I cannot even obtain one, how can I breed them? Anyways, if you have any methods you'd like to share it would be greatly appreciated. On a side note, could I flush them out by slowly dumping water into the burrow as if it were raining?
Desert scorps

Re: Anuroctonus phaiodactylus collecting methods

Post by Desert scorps »

No one can help? I find that hard to believe. Is it because I'm trying to collect them? I know their population can be easily damaged but I will be as careful as possible. I'd just like some tips. Thanks
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Welcome desert scorps. You might consider introducing yourself on the biography or roll call post. You're pretty new here and while I doubt anyone really cares if you collect and breed a few scorpions, bringing up collecting right away raises some red flags. Keep in mind this is a reptile and amphibian forum. We are interested in arachnids and scorpions but that's not our primary focus.

I know very little about scorpions, except I enjoy seeing them. I would keep checking at night with the UV lights. I don't think it would hurt anything to try pouring some water in the burrows. I've been seeing a lot of this species at night (at least I think its this species) shining them with UV lights. I'm seeing big females, some fighting. But these might be a different species than you're interested in. I found this page pretty quickly and it has some tips for collecting your target species. Best of luck!

http://www.wrbu.org/scorpions/SC_du_jou ... tylus.html
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I think you've missed your window for the season, but I believe I have flipped quite a few of those big, black-backed, black-clawed scorpions under large rocks in the springtime in the west desert. Ones with loamy brown soil under them, not coarse gravels and sands - so not associated with alluvium or old shorelines, rather just on grassy, stony, not-so-steep slopes.

I'm not sure that flipping is less work than digging, but hey, it's a thought. Try it out next May?

Good hunting.
Desert scorps

Post by Desert scorps »

Bryan Hamilton wrote:Welcome desert scorps. You might consider introducing yourself on the biography or roll call post. You're pretty new here and while I doubt anyone really cares if you collect and breed a few scorpions, bringing up collecting right away raises some red flags. Keep in mind this is a reptile and amphibian forum. We are interested in arachnids and scorpions but that's not our primary focus.

I know very little about scorpions, except I enjoy seeing them. I would keep checking at night with the UV lights. I don't think it would hurt anything to try pouring some water in the burrows. I've been seeing a lot of this species at night (at least I think its this species) shining them with UV lights. I'm seeing big females, some fighting. But these might be a different species than you're interested in. I found this page pretty quickly and it has some tips for collecting your target species. Best of luck!

http://www.wrbu.org/scorpions/SC_du_jou ... tylus.html
I see where you're coming from. A new member asking about collecting a delicate species does not sound too good. I'll definitely have to fill out the biography and/or post on the roll call. You see, I post more on different forums but I wanted to see if there was someone here who may have a really good answer for my question. As for the information, thanks a ton! It helped tremendously although I'd like to avoid digging haha. I guess I may have a go at using some water. Anyways, thanks again!

-Alec
Desert scorps

Post by Desert scorps »

Jimi wrote:I think you've missed your window for the season, but I believe I have flipped quite a few of those big, black-backed, black-clawed scorpions under large rocks in the springtime in the west desert. Ones with loamy brown soil under them, not coarse gravels and sands - so not associated with alluvium or old shorelines, rather just on grassy, stony, not-so-steep slopes.

I'm not sure that flipping is less work than digging, but hey, it's a thought. Try it out next May?

Good hunting.
Actually, they are quite active throughout the Summer months as well! From what I have seen out in the field is that the younger ones tend to come out in May and as it gets warmer, the larger ones start becoming active. I could try flipping some rocks but that may not be too successful given they are a fossorial species. Someone told me on another forum that I should take a piece of grass or a stick and lure the scorpion out. This may work if they don't flee when I get close to the burrow. Thanks for the help, too. It is greatly appreciated.

-Alec
Jeremy Westerman

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

Desert scorps wrote:
Jimi wrote:I think you've missed your window for the season, but I believe I have flipped quite a few of those big, black-backed, black-clawed scorpions under large rocks in the springtime in the west desert. Ones with loamy brown soil under them, not coarse gravels and sands - so not associated with alluvium or old shorelines, rather just on grassy, stony, not-so-steep slopes.

Good hunting.
Actually, they are quite active throughout the Summer months as well! From what I have seen out in the field is that the younger ones tend to come out in May and as it gets warmer, the larger ones start becoming active. I could try flipping some rocks but that may not be too successful given they are a fossorial species. Someone told me on another forum that I should take a piece of grass or a stick and lure the scorpion out. This may work if they don't flee when I get close to the burrow. Thanks for the help, too. It is greatly appreciated.

-Alec
Jimi is quite correct, even many strictly fossorial or psamnophilic species (including Anuroctonus) can also be easily observed by flipping rocks or artificial cover. If the colony is not going to be damaged it couldn't hurt to turn a few rocks in the area (then properly return them to their former position) or place a board or two over a burrow entrance to see what can be found. Check your local laws and ordinances or the property owner as placing artificial cover could be construed as littering or illegal dumping. Females of A. phaiodactylus are difficult to procure because they rarely leave their burrow, it is usually the males found on the surface during blacklighting. Tickling with a straw may work as it does for spiders such as tarantulas but I actually have never tried it on scorpions. A better method may be some long forceps and a bait insect used to draw them out. Water could be an option to flood a burrow to force the inhabitants to surface but then we are getting into micro-habitat specific site destruction anyway so you may as well dig one out and there is the probable fatal loss of those burrow inhabitants unable to surface or unwilling when flooded plus logistics of carrying enough water to actually flood a meter+ deep burrow system into the field. It could work if the soil is hard packed but most likely a flooded burrow in most soil types will result in muddy conditions that will obscure the tunnel and/or drown the inhabitants. Digging is the better option. If you wish to try a hand at that method place something long and flexible into the burrow to keep track of it, and dig adjacent to the hole and gradually remove the dirt on the side of the burrow letting it fall into your parallel hole so as not to crush the inhabitants or bury them. I have dug a few out of this species and it is hard work; surface blacklighting, flipping, or placing cover are the much easier options. Good luck. Also this fiesty and temperamental species is difficult to keep in captivity because burrows facilitate the correct temperature and humidity by a simple change in depth level difficult to replicate in captivity with any chance of actually ever seeing the animal in your care; visibility/enjoyment vs. cage suitability problems.
Desert scorps

Post by Desert scorps »

Jeremy Westerman wrote:
Desert scorps wrote:

Good hunting.

-Alec
Jimi is quite correct, even many strictly fossorial or psamnophilic species (including Anuroctonus) can also be easily observed by flipping rocks or artificial cover. If the colony is not going to be damaged it couldn't hurt to turn a few rocks in the area (then properly return them to their former position) or place a board or two over a burrow entrance to see what can be found. Check your local laws and ordinances or the property owner as placing artificial cover could be construed as littering or illegal dumping. Females of A. phaiodactylus are difficult to procure because they rarely leave their burrow, it is usually the males found on the surface during blacklighting. Tickling with a straw may work as it does for spiders such as tarantulas but I actually have never tried it on scorpions. A better method may be some long forceps and a bait insect used to draw them out. Water could be an option to flood a burrow to force the inhabitants to surface but then we are getting into micro-habitat specific site destruction anyway so you may as well dig one out and there is the probable fatal loss of those burrow inhabitants unable to surface or unwilling when flooded plus logistics of carrying enough water to actually flood a meter+ deep burrow system into the field. It could work if the soil is hard packed but most likely a flooded burrow in most soil types will result in muddy conditions that will obscure the tunnel and/or drown the inhabitants. Digging is the better option. If you wish to try a hand at that method place something long and flexible into the burrow to keep track of it, and dig adjacent to the hole and gradually remove the dirt on the side of the burrow letting it fall into your parallel hole so as not to crush the inhabitants or bury them. I have dug a few out of this species and it is hard work; surface blacklighting, flipping, or placing cover are the much easier options. Good luck. Also this fiesty and temperamental species is difficult to keep in captivity because burrows facilitate the correct temperature and humidity by a simple change in depth level difficult to replicate in captivity with any chance of actually ever seeing the animal in your care; visibility/enjoyment vs. cage suitability problems.
Wow! Thanks a ton for the information! As for keeping them, I have figured out the perfect mixture of sand/clay that enables them to burrow without it collapsing. That way, they can burrow as far as they need to for their specific requirements. This works very well and I have kept Hadrurus arizonensis this way for a very long time. If I have to, I could even make a false-bottom set up but I think they should do fine without one. I am also very aware that I may almost never see this species once it digs it's burrow but that's not a big deal to me. I have many inverts that are "pet holes" so to speak haha. Anyways, I cannot thank you enough! I'll have to try some of these methods next time I'm out in the field.