Somewhat off-topic- Why is it important to study ecology?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

corey.raimond

Somewhat off-topic- Why is it important to study ecology?

Post by corey.raimond »

I am going to be student teaching middle school students biology amongst other sciences and am hoping to throw in as much ecology/natural history as they will let me.

So my question is this: how should I explain to students, parents and administrators why ecology/natural history is an important thing for everyone to know. This is going to be in an urban community where the kids likely have very little connection to nature. I feel that as someone who is so ingrained in the natural world it is very hard for me to think like a "normal" person on this issue and would like some ideas from others.

Thanks,

-Corey
stlouisdude

Re: Somewhat off-topic- Why is it important to study ecology

Post by stlouisdude »

Hi Corey,

I don't have a good answer but for brainstorming purposes, I did come up with a few things.

1) They may one day be interested in such a career option. Even if they are not, as an amateur their contributions can still matter (Christmas bird count, etc.) and we are always saying kids need to get outside and have healthy hobbies to stay out of trouble and stay in shape, right?

2) The whole circle of life thing (remember Color of the Wind?), human life may seem far removed from animal populations for these kids but there are people out there dependent on bush meat, fish, etc. There are also things relevant to even urban kids such as deer/mice/ticks/lyme disease that they might be interested in.

3) Without this knowledge, our society lacks the most basic instruction to make intelligent decisions regarding remaining green space, community planning, and safeguarding remaining plant and animal communities.

4) If all else fails, tell the kids because they can take cool field trips and it's better than doing math.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

corey, very good question.

ecology is extremely important. everything (soil, water, air, plants, and animals) is constantly adjusting to influences created by "everything". equilibrium is the goal. this will never be attained, however, "getting close" is healthy for everything. our own survival hangs in the balance. the more we mess with it, the more out of balance it becomes. this is where the history comes in. i'm speaking for wisconsin right now. ignorant clear-cuts in the early part of settlement along with increasing trees due to the prairie shrinking from agriculture caused a massive increase in deer. kill the wolves, and the deer populations exploded. now the wolves are back and they have a lot more food than they should. wolf populations now explode. see where i'm going? balance is trying to be created. this was all due to "our" history on the land. i love the topic. if you want to discuss it further, i will. i'll send you a pm with my contact info.

-ben
jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 »

To be able to connect the study of biology, chemistry, and physics to real world natural events that they see everyday.
gbin

Post by gbin »

You've probably already thought to do this, Corey, but if you haven't... Try googling "why study ecology?" You'll find lots of folks have addressed this topic, from the academic to the everyday Joe. There's sure to be some things said there that you'll find particularly useful for your purpose.

I'm sure you know to keep class fun for the students, but try to keep it fun for you, too! If you're excited about what you're teaching, the students will definitely pick up on that. Good luck!

Gerry
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Corey-

Great thread! I could go on for hours but I will leave you with a few terms / ideas...

-Natural Capital - the externalities
-Ecosystem Services (even urban folks see the $$ in flood mitigation via preserved habitat / ecosystems). There is also natural pest control (rodents, worms (many snakes love worms, many people do NOT! Lol), etc...)
-Pharmaceuticals (understanding, and the conservation, of species provides opportunity for advancement)
-Conservation and study of natural history / ecology / genetics facilitates a better understand of ourselves and our role in the ecosystem / world.
-Direct financial gain (ecotourism - still a strong driver in many economies that have taken advantage of it). Sustainable harvest - hunting (alligators, etc...).

-Chris

P.s. Feel free to Facebook message me anytime if you want to chat about ideas.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

It is important to teach kids the utter hopelessness of life, so perhaps, when they are depressed by reality, then they won't breed.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

reptilist wrote:It is important to teach kids the utter hopelessness of life, so perhaps, when they are depressed by reality, then they won't breed.
ROFL!!!
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

That's a depressing... true and humorous thought.
reptilist wrote:It is important to teach kids the utter hopelessness of life, so perhaps, when they are depressed by reality, then they won't breed.
moleking

Post by moleking »

Because the natural world is the barometer of our own. What we do to the uncivilised part of our world directly impacts us.

To increase awareness of what is out there. What people do not see value in, they do not care about.