frog/toad ID needed

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

herpseeker1978

frog/toad ID needed

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Found a bunch of these metamorphs at a pond near the river in Albuquerque. Any ideas?

Josh
Jaye Legate

Re: frog/toad ID needed

Post by Jaye Legate »

Well, I wish I could see the pupil a little better, or a closer shot of the hind legs, but at first glance, and from what I can recall of the area, They seem to resemble New Mexico Spadefoots(feet?), Spea multiplicata The lack of parotoid glands (that I can tell, I'm not sure if the bulge on the first photo around that area is background or just blur) and the red spots encircled by black on a relatively smooth dorsum is all I'm going off of. The top two have me iffy, the bottom one seems to illustrate the pupil as being vertical, thus almost positively making it a NM spade. It's been a while since I lived in or even herped NM, so I hope I didn't suggest what you've already ruled out.
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Josh,

They are Anaxyrus woodhousei. The metamorphs have those red spots and you really can't see the paratoids at that age. Described habitat and time of year help with the ID here as well.

Bill
Jaye Legate

Post by Jaye Legate »

Yeah, I was torn between the two, and especially as metamorphs they look pretty similar in lower quality photos. Going through old photos I have of metamorph Woodhouse's, I have to concur, withdrawing my previous speculation.

From 2007, in Central AZ.

2008, Same locale as above. Parotoid barely visible, as mentioned.