New Data Request - October 21, 2011

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Don Becker

New Data Request - October 21, 2011

Post by Don Becker »

http://www.naherp.com/user/view-data-re ... p?dr_id=10

Please make your comments on the data request page.
spinifer

Re: New Data Request - October 21, 2011

Post by spinifer »

Don, I just added a new species to the DB to make sure it was available for release. But it did not update under the "My records" or "Other members records" sections.

Therefore I assume before you release the data, you run a new query to ensure any new records entered after the creation of the data request page are added. Or will new records not be part of this release?
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Nope, I associate records at the time of the request, and that is what gets released after the vote. If added new records that apply, please let me know which records so I can add them.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

This request stated it will be submitted periodically in the future, so how do you distinguish between records already sent and new ones for a second request? Will you use submitted date to call up all records that were entered after the time of request so that you are not sending them records you have already sent them, or do you use record #? In other words, it sounds like if you add my record now, then it might also get sent again in a future request. Not a big deal, just curious. I would rather it get sent now though, in case a second request never happens.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

For the moment I just plan on resending all applicable records, and the requestor can filter out what they already have. In the future I would like to let people requesting data associate most records with their request, and also have a specific process for ongoing projects
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

also, that record should be listed with the request now.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Yup, thanks. :thumb:
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Wow... I didn't know this at all. I am going to be updating all my records while the commenting period is happening. Don, will you need an entire list of record numbers?

Also, any editing of old records won't be affected, right? For example, if I add coords to old records tomorrow, they'll still show up when released?
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Yes, if the record is already associated with the request, you can add coordinates, and it won't affect anything. If you add many new records, just give me an idea of what species you added, and I can do the searches again to add your new records. I normally just don't add new records at the end, because if someone has already reviewed the request, and has made their mind up about which of their records they want released, I don't want to later add a record to it, and have them think I slipped them in last minute to avoid them marking them as closed or something.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

It's good to know because I would have probably delayed the request a few weeks and given people a "heads-up" to get caught up.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

If you want to give people more of of a heads-up, and the requester is ok with it, I can extend the discussion period.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

So wait... What date is the cutoff on this one? October 21st? Or would it be after the 10 days? I'm confused.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

It was posted on October 21, and the discussion period will be for 10 days after that, and then it goes to a vote. I can extend the discussion period for longer than 10 days if need be.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

psyon wrote:Nope, I associate records at the time of the request, and that is what gets released after the vote. If added new records that apply, please let me know which records so I can add them.
So does this mean that 10/21 was the "time of request?" If so, any records put in afterward wouldn't be included, despite an extended discussion period. What am I missing?
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

brick911 wrote:So does this mean that 10/21 was the "time of request?" If so, any records put in afterward wouldn't be included, despite an extended discussion period. What am I missing?
Yes, 10/21 is the time of the request. Any records added after that date will not be included unless the person adding the records asks me to add them to the request. Extension of the discussion period would allow people to update records with coordinates if they haven't put them in already, and would allow people to enter more records and then ask me to add them to the request.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Bob, this is why you need to stay on top of entering your records, slacker. ;)
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Yeah, I know. I can't even defend myself or come up with anything witty. :lol:
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Bump.

-Chris
brick911

Post by brick911 »

When does the voting start on this?
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

10 days after it was opened for discussion.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Hey Don... Was the information released? I am going to contact the requester and discuss any feedback, pro's, con's, etc. But I wanted to make sure he received the data before I did.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Yes, I have sent him the data already.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Ok thanks. I'll follow up, as I know he wanted one every year. Although my fingers are crossed that some of these changes take place and we won't have to do separate releases - going forward.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Here is Michael Davenport's latest reply to me, for everyone's reference:

Bob,

I apologize for not responding to your earlier e-mail - I've become swamped within the past few weeks. The bulk of the data received was great - there were just over 100 observations however which lacked the locational precision required by our database. For instance, the observation may have indicated the county of the observation or a park name, but the coordinates were missing. As a whole however, I would say this is a great dataset which is going to be very helpful to the state's Endangered & Nongame Species Program in filling-in some data gaps.

Once we process the data, it'll be represented in the state's Landscape Project mapping which is available to the public and is used by many non-profits, environmental commissions, etc. The benefit of those groups using the Landscape Project mapping rather than the raw data points, is that it somewhat "masks" the precise locations, thereby avoiding the risk of illegal collection or harassment of some species.

Thanks again,
Mike