Rattlesnake areas along NJ/PA line?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Python Guy

Rattlesnake areas along NJ/PA line?

Post by Python Guy »

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there are any good rattlesnake spots near the NJ/PA line. I rattlesnake hunt in potter county pa but that is 5hrs from me. If anyone has any info or spots that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a nice day!

Tyler Young
spinifer

Re: Rattlesnake areas along NJ/PA line?

Post by spinifer »

brace yourself............
dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

Do you mean hunt as in kill or collect? If its kill or collect your unlikely to yield any information from folks here. It sort of contradicts what many of us stand for and promote.
vincemartino

Post by vincemartino »

No one knows you.
dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

If this gent is in fact hunting timbers lets not let our emotion get a hold of us, as its still legal in PA within limits. Lets all be professional and hopefully middle ground can be found regarding viewpoints.........but watch the detail of your TR posts.
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

I'm sorry if anyone took this the wrong way, I mean hunt as in like they put the chip in them measure them and all that and let them go. I just do catch and release. sorry for the mis understanding. this is my first post and I will be sure to make clear in posts in the future. Thanks,

Tyler Young
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

who is "they"?
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

The PA fish and wildlife. they are the tracking chips so if they are found again and you run the wand over them if they are already tagged a number appears and then it gives them the info from the date everything was added and they can see how much they have grown and so fourth. Like I said I am very sorry if anyone took this the wrong way. I have been "herping" rattlesnakes for a pretty long time for my age now and greatly appreciate them.

Tyler Young
tabernaclegary

Post by tabernaclegary »

haha this one could get fun!
incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

Do you work with PA fish and wildlife tagging and tracking?
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

No, I am a club member of the Keystone Reptile Club and they are there to see if the animals have tags and if not they go along and tag them and record there number.
incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

Cool, sounds interesting. Doing a google search it looks like North Jersey is your best bet, and if you are in Jersey they are considered state endangered so just be sure they have the proper permits to work with the animals. Hope you wait until spring to do this too.
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

Thanks for the info and i will be sure to get all the proper paperwork. Check out Crossfork PA potter county snake hunt. it is the last weekend in June. There are places to stay in town, a campsite 9 miles from town or you can just pitch a tent anywhere. Come on down for the "hunt" (have to use that word with caution) and bike show. ITS A BLAST!
dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

TIME TO EDUCATE.....

Tyler, I noticed the keystone club sponsors rattlesnake hunts, hunts in which the snakes AREN'T killed but measured processed, etc. etc. I'm not going to lecture on the impact of rattlesnake hunts, others can do so. But I just want to mention this......I've studied timbers from mostly an amateur level for the last few years and have done radio telemtry of them. The handling of TR's is rough on them, often times the snakes being handled are gravid. The handling of them disrupts there behavior, may cause them to abandon rookeries and critical habitat. If you can going forward try to learn how to observe TR's without handling, you will learn more and understand them better and at the same time the snake will be less impacted.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Tyler, excuse my ignorance, but I am just trying to understand the process you are involved in.

So PA Fish and Wildlife provides your reptile club with PIT tags and you go out and look for snakes, check for tagged individuals, tag new individuals, and report the data back to PA Fish and Wildlife? PA Fish and Wildlife permits you to do this to any TRs in the state (so long as you have land owner permission)?

Are snakes removed from their habitat? If so, what happens to them? Can anyone do this or do you have to apply for a special permit? Do you have to be trained in order to tag them?
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

You get a venomus snake hunting permit that allows you to hunt the entire state of pa for rattlesnakes and or copperheads. it is $50 for non residents and $25 for residents. What happens is you get the tag from PA fish and wildlife. then you go to the "hunt" and give them your name and the number on your tag. they give you a provisional permit to do a catch and release only for a timber. you still have your tag for doing what ever you want with the snake you catch. you can only bring one timber into the competiton and if you bring a copperhead in your main hunting tag is expired. they are brought into what is called "the pit" which is a fenced in area where keystone reptile club members teach the public about snakes and their habitats, snakes from around the world, and teach them different things about the snakes of PA. It is a well thought out organization that has been going since my dad was 13 or 14 and now he is 54 so that makes it around the 70's and all profits from the hunt go to the local firehouse.
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

spinifer wrote:brace yourself............
LOL :lol:
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

I see, so you only get 1 tag (ie., chip) and whoever has a permit is allowed to implant the chip under the skin of the snake? And since your group is a catch and release, you return the snakes to the same place you found them after the competition?
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Most are familiar with the hunts, and the archaic laws that PA has that allows them to go on. Live or not, this is probably not the place for anyone involved in these activities to be seeking information.
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

Your on the right track but I'll go a bit more in depth. You go out by yourself or with a group. You have a venomus snake hunting permit that you can get from the PA fish and wildlife website. You bring this permit where the "hunt" is taking place and you give it to the president and he gives you a provisional catch and release only tag and your paid for tag back. (you have to pay $5 for the provisional too) then you go out and look for Timbers. According to last years regulations set by the PA fish and wildlife, it must me a male (21+ subcaudle scales) and be over 42 inches in length to be entered. once this is taken care of you bring it to where the "hunt" is and they double check the counts to make sure all is good. Than the two PA fish and wildlife reps check for a tag, if one is found they record the new info, if one is not found they record the info and place one tag under the skin. the snakes stay there for a maximum time of the duration of the "hunt" (usually 2-3 days if brought in on the first day which usually doesnt happen with timbers or copperheads) and then is given back to the person who captured it and is released in the same spot that it was found in. I hope this clears it up. if you are having trouble let me know what you need explained.

Tyler Young
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

kyle loucks wrote:Most are familiar with the hunts, and the archaic laws that PA has that allows them to go on. Live or not, this is probably not the place for anyone involved in these activities to be seeking information.

That was not the question that I asked. I asked where good spots are to find rattlesnakes near the NJ/PA line is and I mentioned the word "hunt" because that is what I was brought up around it being called and everyone went all textbook on my ass for a noticable reason but never the less. so I dont really get where your coming from with is unless you only read like the last 5 comments.

Tyler Young
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Tyler, welcome. Legal or not, locations are not discussed here whether you're a herp conservationist, hunter, hobbyist herper, or other.

I made the same mistake of seeking location in my second post.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Ah, that's the detail I was looking for.

So back to your original question. Why are you looking for a new place to look for rattlesnakes? You just want to find a place close by to observe rattlesnakes, or you want to find a place close by to capture a rattlesnake to take to the competition?
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

brick911 wrote:Tyler, welcome. Legal or not, locations are not discussed here whether you're a herp conservationist, hunter, hobbyist herper, or other.

I made the same mistake of seeking location in my second post.

Thanks, yeah this is my first post so I figured northeast is like PA and stuff so I didnt know if anyone knows the area for any good spots. Where would I go to discuss locations? Thanks,

Tyler Young
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

spinifer wrote:Ah, that's the detail I was looking for.

So back to your original question. Why are you looking for a new place to look for rattlesnakes? You just want to find a place close by to observe rattlesnakes, or you want to find a place close by to capture a rattlesnake to take to the competition?

I am looking for a close location that I can work with them and get some cool shots with my new camera. That hunt is only good for 30 square miles I think. its 25-30 so thats a no no and I dont keep venomus animals. I just want to be able to take some cool pictures without driving 250 miles to do it.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Tyler,

Ok, those intentions are completely different from the impression I first got from your original question. Many people here will disagree with your participation in these "hunts," but its a legal activity controlled by Fish & Boat so I am not going to hold it against you. But the advice you will receive here is you should consider your impact on the species. TRs do not respond well to stress (disturbing, handling, etc.). Photographing is fine, but handling, making them rattle, etc, should be avoided when not participating in "hunts."

I suggest you read this post viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7688
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

So let me get this straight. A bunch of people go out, grab rattlesnakes to check for gender, get their male snake THEN throw them all in a "pit" to educate the public for a few days?

What if someone mistakenly brings in a female? Who makes sure these snakes are released at the spot they were taken from?
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

Mike VanValen wrote:So let me get this straight. A bunch of people go out, grab rattlesnakes to check for gender, get their male snake THEN throw them all in a "pit" to educate the public for a few days?

What if someone mistakenly brings in a female? Who makes sure these snakes are released at the spot they were taken from?
Ok first things first, i dont like the way that your are "twisting" the tone to sound like I am folding a snake up and throwing it in a case and just pulling snakes out from under rocks. and if someone does bring in a female (which has happend before) when it is checked by the fish and wildlife they will tell you to return it. in that case it is sent back and you go with a rep. other than that it is reputation. have a good reputation, people trust you. Mess up and you will have a rep on your ass for a while.
bwaterherper

Post by bwaterherper »

poor python guy, you came across this all wrong.

Should have said "hey I live around north jersey/eastern pa and am interested in observing Horridus" anyway you kind of blew it with the forum(not your fault people here really care alot about timbers[surprised ugh hasn't popped in yet]) I made the same mistake when i first joined. Try pm'ing people and building up a reputation here first before trying to get spots for the most controversial snake in this chapter
Zombie_Kid

Post by Zombie_Kid »

Potter County?!?! I go to a bed and breakfast near Cherry Springs. I love that area, the night sky is amazing. Suppose to be the clearest skies east of the Mississippi.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Zombie_Kid wrote:Potter County?!?! I go to a bed and breakfast near Cherry Springs. I love that area, the night sky is amazing. Suppose to be the clearest skies east of the Mississippi.

I went this year... but the full moon ruined it.
kirbyl4

Post by kirbyl4 »

HAHAHA this post was created at 6:28 its now 1 and already has two pages. Oh timber rattle snakes and anyone who observes, studies, captures, photographs or videotapes. What on earth are we going to do with you?
Just a piece of advice python guy. Making a post about timbers will get you in heated arguments. You may get pretty frustrated but all in all you probably will come out with some good even great points.
GOOD LUCK!
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Nothing wrong with a timber post, we just aren't fans of round ups.
dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

And many of us aren't fans of handling timbers or disturbing them. Most of us (at least what some project) is a hands off approach. But it is different viewpoints built around experience, perspective and other factors. In some areas roundups are considered 'ok', but in some areas they are viewed as archaic and inhumane. Lets not roast this kid/guy he came here to learn not to be attacked, ATTACKING HIM WON'T GAIN ANYTHING FOR US OR THE SNAKES.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill »

I am on that PA line. hit me up in the sping, I can set you ups no prob.
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

Like I said, I am very sorry if I upset,disturbed or whatever you want to call it to anyone. This was my first post and I saw northeast so I figured that would be the place to ask. I thank most of you in your comments for handling this like adults. Thanks for all the info in this post, I learned alot even though I didnt even ask for it. Thanks again and I hope to speak to you all soon.

Tyler Young
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

Zombie_Kid wrote:Potter County?!?! I go to a bed and breakfast near Cherry Springs. I love that area, the night sky is amazing. Suppose to be the clearest skies east of the Mississippi.

Yeah its only 15 miles from my house up there. Its the clearest skies in the northeastern hemisphere i think.
vincemartino

Post by vincemartino »

Python Guy wrote:
Mike VanValen wrote:So let me get this straight. A bunch of people go out, grab rattlesnakes to check for gender, get their male snake THEN throw them all in a "pit" to educate the public for a few days?

Ok first things first, i dont like the way that your are "twisting" the tone to sound like I am folding a snake up and throwing it in a case and just pulling snakes out from under rocks. and if someone does bring in a female (which has happend before) when it is checked by the fish and wildlife they will tell you to return it. in that case it is sent back and you go with a rep. other than that it is reputation. have a good reputation, people trust you. Mess up and you will have a rep on your ass for a while.
DAMAGE ALREADY DONE.
vincemartino

Post by vincemartino »

Nothing against python guy or roadkill. But this thread is definitely a GREAT example of why we need to be careful with localities and other info being shared.

Welcome to the website though. If you stick around long enough and you enjoy reading and learning about the snakes natural behavior as much as catching and "rounding them up" then I am sure you will develop a new appreciation for them and hopefully a new modus operandi.
Notread

Post by Notread »

There are no places in that area you are describing. Just a bunch of hillbillies with really big knives who don't take kindly to people they don't recognize.

Notread

Post by Notread »

vincemartino wrote:Nothing against python guy or roadkill. But this thread is definitely a GREAT example of why we need to be careful with localities and other info being shared.

For real.

UGH! Where are you when we need you!?!
Notread

Post by Notread »

Tyler, I feel kind of bad about your reception here on your first post so I did some research for you. The closest place you can find and photograph C. horridus to where you live in White House Station is at these coordinates: 40° 37.466'N 74° 6.983'W

Clearly you've been considering looking in the wrong direction! Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, we have learned the hard way that people seeking some of our more sensitive species have bad intentions. Being associated with a rattlesnake round up is like a nail in the reputation coffin.

As for Roadkill's post, well, I have a lot to say about that but I'm attempting to be reserved....
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill »

wow, really, I know I am new here, but come on.
I apply for my permit, head up to the mountain and kill my rattlesnake nice and legal.
and you guys are in an uproar about him asking for a spot.
why don't you get off your arses and get that outdated hunting law off the books if the rattelsnakes are so important to you all.
bwaterherper

Post by bwaterherper »

Roadkill wrote:wow, really, I know I am new here, but come on.
I apply for my permit, head up to the mountain and kill my rattlesnake nice and legal.
why don't you get off your arses and get that outdated hunting law off the books if the rattelsnakes are so important to you all.

inb4 6 pages
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

Guys even though I do not agree with roadkill's opinions of killing rattlesnakes, he IS doing it legally so lets not attack him on my post. If you want to attack people elsewhere than let it be on your post. I mean for no way for anyone to get angry at anyone. Thanks and have a nice day.
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

Notread wrote:Tyler, I feel kind of bad about your reception here on your first post so I did some research for you. The closest place you can find and photograph C. horridus to where you live in White House Station is at these coordinates: 40° 37.466'N 74° 6.983'W

Clearly you've been considering looking in the wrong direction! Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, we have learned the hard way that people seeking some of our more sensitive species have bad intentions. Being associated with a rattlesnake round up is like a nail in the reputation coffin.

As for Roadkill's post, well, I have a lot to say about that but I'm attempting to be reserved....
And I thought the roast of charlie sheen was dumb
incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

I'm not an ARA but if it came to a vote I'd vote against the hunts.
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

incuhead2000 wrote:

Is that like the "hunts" I go to that are educational or the roundup kill hunts like the ones in Texas for example?
incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

Notread wrote:The closest place you can find and photograph C. horridus to where you live in White House Station is at these coordinates: 40° 37.466'N 74° 6.983'W
I see you share my sense of humor... :lol:

And also....
Notread wrote:

For real.

UGH! Where are you when we need you!?!
Seriosuly....I post a harmless video about rattlesnakes and we are still waiting on this topic here....sheesh
incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

Python Guy wrote:
incuhead2000 wrote:

Is that like the "hunts" I go to that are educational or the roundup kill hunts like the ones in Texas for example?

hunt as in kill, don't support killing snakes, even if it is legal. TV personalities have gone as far as biting the head off a snake to survive....while staying in a hotel and eating McDonalds...if you consider that the necessary to do type of surviving. :lol:

They get killed legally and illegally and the whole aspect of snake killing and round ups are grossly understudied and the impacts are often overlooked because it's "just a snake". Some organizations do put forth the effort to regulate these snake hunts, as with any other game animal, but in most cases that is why a lot of these animals are considered endangered and threatened throughout their range, overall lack of laws and protection for the species.