Thanksgiving?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Brendan

Re: Thanksgiving?

Post by Brendan »

Morning hikes might still prove fruitful for a number of local reptiles. Many of our lizard species are active all year round on a sunny day. Snakes are pretty much a crap shoot. Atrox are still out and about but they tend to stick close to winter retreats and pop up for a few hours of sun here and there. I'd save the gas money on any type of road riding at this point unless we have some kind of crazy heat wave. Any of the local phoenix mountain parks are a good place to start.
RobK

Post by RobK »

I've had decent luck in AZ during Nov. Definitely weather dependent. Even road cruised a few atrox on a paved road one year. Good luck!
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

The nice thing about AZ ( the Sonoran Desert, anyway) is that, while the herping season slows down, it's never really over. Like RobK and Brendan said, with the right weather, you can still find stuff out cruising around close to their winter dens. I found the largest atrox I ever encountered in November. Sunning himself in the road at high noon. Another atrox gave my brother a close call while fishing in mid-November. It was full dark, fifty-something degrees and WINDY. He just got finished whining about us only having one flashlight, and I told him to quit being such a girl. It's too cold for snakes out here! :lol:

Don't despair, man. A November trip may not be as epic as one in August or September, but it still has potential. Especially for someone who has so few AZ species. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

John

I daytime road cruised a large adult Western Patchnose the day before Thanksgiving two years ago.

But I agree, look for sunny washes, warmer days (relatively speaking), and I would guess soon after rainstorms too.

You don't know unless you go....

Dave
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

What better way to work off a Thanksgiving feast than some field footwork? :)

It was 55F and windy this past Tuesday in Tucson when I was called to remove a hatchling gopher snake from a neighbor's doorstep. The little guy was surprisingly hot tempered for such a cool day. I found a whipsnake on Halloween day, and a young atrox four nights later. I roadcruised a 4 foot atrox on Nov. 6th last year. That's just the small set of late-season finds I've managed without putting forth much effort. Hopefully you'll manage some success.

Happy herping!
tmth

Post by tmth »

I'm really glad you posted this-- I was going to make a similar topic. I'll be headed down to Phoenix for Thanksgiving as well! :)
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

This thread is a perfect example of why most locals don't bother helping those who ask for help. Several helpful replies with advice and not a single "thanks for the tips guys". Not that anyone over extended themselves with info but I guess etiquette is in short supply in these parts.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I think etiquette and common courtesy is something people forgot about ... it seems to have transferred into real life as well.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Yeah, sometimes i don't even look for replies to my subforum posts for 2 weeks...c'mon guys...geez...
ThamnElegans24

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

It's understandable for you though Brian. Everybody knows you are always so busy taking pics of Sideblotches and Tree Lizards. :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I know what you're asking...Was that 6 utas, or only 5, huh...which was it? Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya punk...?

Anyway, you're just jealous that you didn't think of utas and tree lizards first... :lol: Of course, how many pyros, AZ milks, Mexican garters, willardi, rock rattlers, and chuckwallas do you have in the database? Yeah, I thought so... :o You can't even post under you're real name...loser. :lol: :lol: 8-)
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Hey Hubbs.....

It was five. (I counted).

Dave
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Hey sizzle chest go slap Manuel with a hot mop ya jerky!
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Uh, deed you say sumtheen? I theen not...
ThamnElegans24

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

Chuckwallas, wtf why chuckwallas? Of your list of awesome herps why finish with chuckwallas?

Oh well at least I've entered more Tigers and Black-tails :D :lol:

Btw my name is Benjamin Jones. :beer:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Because chucks are cool, and I have more than you... :beer:

Nice to meet you Ben...send me your phone number and I'll help you find chucks. 8-)
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Because chucks are cool, and I have more than you... :beer:

Nice to meet you Ben...send me your phone number and I'll help you find chucks. 8-)
Now this is a first! The longtime tricolor lamprophiliac confessing to a fond affection for Sauromalus! What happened that made you fall in love with these sweet herbivores with tons of personality? I had a pet pair that I gave away to a friend and wouldn't you know it, they started breeding right away when I gave them to her. My female had three babies . I feel like a proud grandma! Hey Brian, do you like those carrot-tailed South Mountain males?
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Double post. :(
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

You know...I've lived here 12 years and still haven't seen one of those in the 2 times I've looked. :lol:
Believe it or not, I like all herps...just check my 4,315 entries in the Naherp.com database (all with GPS). There's 241 species I've entered in there...some as old as 1969, and 2,500+ from this year, including (gasp) frogs, toads, lizards, and turtles (370 Western Pond turtle records, among the 26 species I've recorded). You don't get to be Lamprophile without noticing other stuff along the way... 8-)
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

klawnscale

YOU kept a pair of Chucks? I was under the impression you were against that sort of thing?

Dave
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Chuckwallas are cool to see while I am looking for specks. Definitely cool lizard. Gila monsters, horned lizards, collared lizards, & chuckwallas are about the only lizards I will attempt to photograph..sometimes an alligator lizard
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Biker Dave wrote:klawnscale

YOU kept a pair of Chucks? I was under the impression you were against that sort of thing?

Dave
Yes. Dave. I used to keep herps. But since I became heavily involved in wildlife management work for the past 2 years, I no longer keep herps. I gave them away 2 years ago. I still like them though and will help catch and release for research, but will no longer keep them.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Norman D wrote:Chuckwallas are cool to see while I am looking for specks. Definitely cool lizard. Gila monsters, horned lizards, collared lizards, & chuckwallas are about the only lizards I will attempt to photograph..sometimes an alligator lizard

Once in awhile I photograph a speck when I'm looking for boas and chucks...heheh!

Why not get pics of other lizards? Are they too fast, too far away for your camera, or just not interesting. For tree lizards I like using a telephoto lens. Actually, telephotos are good for lots of things, like turtles, etc, that tend to be out of range for some cameras. Just ask Hubbsy...heheh!

I like most all of the herps, but tend to target the easier to find ones, then hope I find some other stuff that's rarer. If I just went for pyros, I don't think I'd ever get any pics. And before you say anything, Brian, about the lack of pics from me, I just got my computer back recently and haven't had time, yet, to do anything with it. Winter is the best time for working with pics and making boring ol' posts like this one. I'm already planning some herp trips for next season. Bring on the cold....

Peace.... :beer:

TC
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

ratsnakehaven wrote:

Why not get pics of other lizards?
I have pics of lots of other lizards, but now I just focus on what I like. So now I actually find more animals that I am looking for, instead of photographing everything I see. Sometimes a "common" lizard or snake will make a perfect pose in a great photo situation - and I may photograph it. Even some of the cooler stuff I don't even photograph anymore. I appreciate seeing them, but don't photograph them.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Norman D wrote:I have pics of lots of other lizards, but now I just focus on what I like. So now I actually find more animals that I am looking for, instead of photographing everything I see. Sometimes a "common" lizard or snake will make a perfect pose in a great photo situation - and I may photograph it. Even some of the cooler stuff I don't even photograph anymore. I appreciate seeing them, but don't photograph them.

I hear ya'. I don't photograph everything either. Sometimes our time is too important and we just can't stop for everything. I also target certain species, but usually not the really hard to find ones. Most of the time I just go to an area with some kind of distinct habitat. I'll then have a few species in mind within that habitat. For instance, in the Chiricahua Mountains, in the oak/juniper woodlands, there's the striped plateau lizard, only place I know where you can find them, and they are common. There are also other lizards and snakes in the same habitat that are worth photographing, such as the Madrean alligator lizard and the mountain kingsnake. After some time in this habitat, you can go to higher elevations and find things like the bunch grass lizard in the pine associations, along with snakes like the rock rattler and twin-spotted rattlers.

I look at herping as experiencing unique habitats, learning what herps are special there, and just spending time hoping to find anything worthwhile to photograph and learn about. I think that's why lots of folks learn to protect habitats in AZ and protect unique herps in the process. Cheers...

TC 8-)
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Norman: Are you putting your pics in the database? If so, photograph everything, even if it's a lousy pic, cause...well, you ain't payin' for any damn film anymore...and the database needs entries from all over...

This may sound dumb, but these are tree lizards in Tempe alleys...someday someone might want to know this...

and this is how all my database records look on google earth:

Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

Hey, Brian, I think you missed a spot on that map. :lol: :thumb:
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Herr Hubbs:
Your plotted U.S. Map DEFINITELY is useful. Here are some uses:

a) a pretty poster of the USA for a gradeschool classroom
b) would make a nice mousepad
c) a national overview showing your service areas for painting street addresses on curbs
d) a nice design for a herpetological version of a board game of "Where's Waldo?" I guess you could call it "Where's Hubbs?"
e) a screensaver for your computer
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

John: I've never been to NY...sorry...I've heard it's nice... :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

klawnscale: I see you finally put an actual picture of yourself in your avatar. :lol: Now, you just need to finally enter something from one of your wondrous herp adventures in the San Fernando Valley into the database and we'll all respect you more... 8-)
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Brian Hubbs wrote:klawnscale: I see you finally put an actual picture of yourself in your avatar. :lol: Now, you just need to finally enter something from one of your wondrous herp adventures in the San Fernando Valley into the database and we'll all respect you more... 8-)
The only databases I enter information into are from agencies that employ me. And sorry; just as yours is, that is privileged information. You know Arc GIS maps can look very pretty too with all the different layers of color indicating different population models. You guys might want to look into adding that software into your database applications. That mugwump in the avatar is not me. Nor am I Peter Weller. I don't smoke.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Oh, sorry...my mistake. I thought that since our little hike 10 years ago with Fundad, that you might have been bitten by a radioactive potato bug... :lol:
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Oh, sorry...my mistake. I thought that since our little hike 10 years ago with Fundad, that you might have been bitten by a radioactive potato bug... :lol:
:lol: :lol: Even I would like to see the outcome of that! :lol: :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Well, this has been a very civilized discussion for a change... :lol:
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Well, this has been a very civilized discussion for a change... :lol:
Since working working and learning from others out in the field I have developed an open mind. Anything can happen. And anyway, there's 13 lb free range turkey roasting in the oven here. I foresee turkey sandwiches for the next 2 months in my future. Any Thanksgiving orphans out there?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

You are what you eat... :lol: :lol: :lol: (couldn't resist) jim
Hubbs... I'll call you next time I resurvey that N San Bernardino Neighborhood for U.o. symetricus... lol jim
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

hellihooks wrote:You are what you eat... :lol: :lol: :lol: (couldn't resist) jim
Hubbs... I'll call you next time I resurvey that N San Bernardino Neighborhood for U.o. symetricus... lol jim
So whatt does that mean, Helli? You eat ham for Thanksgiving? Neener-Neener! :lol: :lol:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Come to think of it... yeah... I DO... :lol: :lol: :lol: That and Prime Rib, baby...with lots of Extra Hot Beaver Brand Horseradish... ;) jim
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I love how threads morph... :roll:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Extra Hot Beaver Brand Horseradish
I love that stuff! Especially when its slathered all over hot beef!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Biker Dave wrote:
Beaver eaters unite! No one got the dlb entandre? what a bunch of weiners...l :roll: :lol: :lol: jim
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

hellihooks wrote:
Biker Dave wrote:
Beaver eaters unite! No one got the dlb entandre? what a bunch of weiners...l :roll: :lol: :lol: jim
Maybe because it was so obvious that it was worthwhile ignoring. Spare us from your displaced need to express your sexual frustrations.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

not frustrated... 'blue' just increases the funny factor...(IMO) :crazyeyes: Happy Turkey Day everybody... :D jim
PS... the Ham comeback was pretty damn good... didn't EVEN see that coming... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And Dave, have you tried 'Atomic Brand Horseradish' from Idaho... da Kine. Bro... :thumb:
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! here's one for you Helli:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

klawnskale wrote:Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! here's one for you Helli:
That's just stupid... Beaver aren't 'rare'... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Never had the atomic...where do I get it?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Biker Dave wrote:Never had the atomic...where do I get it?
Vegas? 4-5 star resteruants? Smart & Final's brand is as good as Beaver Brand, but not sure if they have S&F in AZ... but you can buy a BIG jar, rather than a little bottle. :thumb: jim
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I'll look for it. Thanks....
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

I have periodically seen Beaver Brand Mustards and Garnshes at Big Lots. They had a Coney Island Hot Dog Mustard that I tried. it was pretty good. Four star restaurants generally do not have labeled garnish bottles on customer tables. If they have achieved that type of status, the head chef generally makes his/her own line of sauces and garnishes.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Yeah... your right. My little brother was an executive chief at the Dupont/Marriot Hilton in Delaware for like 20 years, and was in fact in charge of sauce, n such. Top notch steak houses may use Atomic Brand, but not bring the bottle out to the table... that's how I found out about it... had to ask at a steak house. Smart n Final also has the best Soy Sauce (IMO) you can get. jim