How to Photograph a Tegu

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Josh Holbrook

How to Photograph a Tegu

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Alright: here's a tough one (for me)

Does anybody have any tips (or examples) of good poses/angles/methods for photographing Tegus: I'm thinking of the Argentine Black and White variety. Any insight would be helpful as I'm stumped. . .

Thanks,

-Josh
justinm

Re: How to Photograph a Tegu

Post by justinm »

I have scars 20 years old from a colony I used to keep. So my suggestion would be with a telephoto lens as they are fast, I mean ridiculously fast animals. If cornered they will shred you in ways that still seem to baffle me, I have deep puffy lines on my forearms and thighs. But I would say telephoto if you can get close enough. They are a really smart and aware animal.
beanie

Post by beanie »

I got lucky with mine, hes real tame.
chrish

Post by chrish »

I think the most aesthetically pleasing shot for the whole animal would have the animal standing with the tail curved around in front of the body and a good tongue flick.

Getting one to to that for you.....that's a different issue.

Or, just settle for a closeup -

Kevin Price

Post by Kevin Price »

For positioning it; exactly what Chris said. I'd also have someone to help with positioning the animal, as trying to do that AND shoot it can be extremely frustrating. You may only have a second or two to get the shot you want and it's much better if you are already in position. Use flash with a fast shutter speed to stop any motion in the event the beast will not stop moving.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Yes, they are fast, alert little buggers and I've only been able to catch them under three conditions:

Heavy rain
After dark
Cold weather

The first two may cause minor difficulties in the shoot but during cool temps they'll stay put as long as you'd like.

There's another method that works well when temps are warm, but you still gotta get to them around first light, before they leave their hide for the day...and it ruins your castnet(s.) :lol:

Good luck!
Tim
BlueEyezLatino

Post by BlueEyezLatino »

Josh Holbrook wrote:Ehh...It's a lizard.... It's called "Egotistical herping"
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Thanks for the advice all.

Danny: "Egotistical herping" as in: I only care about a given lizard if it strikes my fancy. Whiptails are not it ;-)
Ed Metzger

Post by Ed Metzger »

Hey Josh,

I am on a tegu fix, and searching the forum for tegu talk. My advice is take what you can get! Joking aside, if photographing tegus on the crawl, I've found it helpful to stalk the animal on my hands and knees. I think it is probably the least threatening way to approach a tegu aside from a belly-crawl. Also use a zoom lens and crop shamelessly.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Ed Metzger wrote:Hey Josh,

I am on a tegu fix, and searching the forum for tegu talk. My advice is take what you can get! Joking aside, if photographing tegus on the crawl, I've found it helpful to stalk the animal on my hands and knees. I think it is probably the least threatening way to approach a tegu aside from a belly-crawl. Also use a zoom lens and crop shamelessly.

Good to hear. I guess I should make a day trip or two down to the glades this spring before I go shoot the captives.
AsydaBass

Post by AsydaBass »

Ed Metzger wrote: use a zoom lens and crop shamelessly.
Haha, I love it.
Good luck with the lizards, guys.

-Don
www.rainforestdon.com