Costa Ricans Herping Advice

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

vegasbilly

Costa Ricans Herping Advice

Post by vegasbilly »

The wife and I are going to Guanacaste, Costa Rica for 8 days at the end of April. Evidently this a less tropical/humid area with more savannah-type terrain and rolling grasslands. Anybody ever herp this region that could give me some tips? The plan is to ply her with adult beverages, do my duty, then cruise in a rental car! LOL.

Bill
-EJ

Re: Costa Ricans Herping Advice

Post by -EJ »

One local guy to ask is Ken Foose of Exotic Pets. I'll bet you he'd have some tips or put you in touch of someone who does.
vegasbilly wrote:The wife and I are going to Guanacaste, Costa Rica for 8 days at the end of April. Evidently this a less tropical/humid area with more savannah-type terrain and rolling grasslands. Anybody ever herp this region that could give me some tips? The plan is to ply her with adult beverages, do my duty, then cruise in a rental car! LOL.

Bill
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Be sure to get the rental car insurance, the roads are tough and the scrutiny the returned car goes through is even tougher.
Erica Hoaglund

Post by Erica Hoaglund »

Check out Santa Rosa national park, great herping and lovely place. Rincon de la vieja is also a good place to visit, not quite as overflowing with herps as Santa Rosa but a cool place to visit, good place to look for salamanders.

You can't really go wrong anywhere, I second the note about good rental car insurance as the roads can be ok or REALLY bad.

Have fun!

-Erica
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

Get a good map and pick out roads that look less traveled. Then hope for some rain because you will be there at the tail end of the dry season.
Found in Guanacaste last November:
Imantodes gemmistratus

and unfortunately in this condition
Crotalus simus