New Data Request - Jan 20, 2012

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Don Becker

New Data Request - Jan 20, 2012

Post by Don Becker »

http://www.naherp.com/user/view-data-re ... p?dr_id=14

Half the records associated with this request do not have specific locations listed in them. PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Update your records if they are included!
spinifer

Re: New Data Request - Jan 20, 2012

Post by spinifer »

I was going to post this to the request page, but decided my rant was better posed here:

This dude is a phD and thats the best description he can come up with? How can anyone make a decision on their data based on this description? Requests should be a formal process, you know something that we take serious, not something typed up in 2 seconds. We need a page dedicated to "instructions for submitting a request", and when people contact Don for the first time they need to be directed to that page.
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

I didn't have a problem with his request, it sounds like an interesting project.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

While I half agree with Nate, I think what NAHERP needs most is street cred at this point. If he was asking for a species of concern, I would expect a little more effort.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

spinifer wrote:I was going to post this to the request page, but decided my rant was better posed here:

This dude is a phD and thats the best description he can come up with? How can anyone make a decision on their data based on this description? Requests should be a formal process, you know something that we take serious, not something typed up in 2 seconds. We need a page dedicated to "instructions for submitting a request", and when people contact Don for the first time they need to be directed to that page.
This was just what he sent me via email, it technically fit the requirements for a data request. I had asked in the IB if anyone had comments about it, no one seemed to have any major issues. I have a copy of his CV if you want to review it.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

This should be a members only conversation.. IMO..

Fundad
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Not everyone who submits data is a member of a chapter.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I am not referring to the data request post itself, just the conversation we are having about what the requester should or shouldn't do..

Fundad
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Why? Not all requestors are members, and it would be nice if they could see what is going on so they know how to present requests in the future.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

To avoid having data requesters see comments like this..
This dude is a phD and thats the best description he can come up with?
Fundad

But I ll leave it alone if you guys want to do this publicly.. :roll:
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Personally, I think my data request format kicks butt. Check out the second one from today, or any of my three so far. :thumb: 8-) Yes, I'm proud. Look for more from my contacts before Spring Migrations start!
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

I think the request sounds pretty good, at least for these not so sensitive herps. I would like to know who person works for, university, or whatever, if it were me giving the data. However, my concern is that of others I'm associated with that worry about who or what organization the data goes to. In that respect, I agree that we should be careful about who is requesting data and should have some requirements that help data owners understand the situation better. Just my 2 cents.

Terry
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

brick911 wrote:Personally, I think my data request format kicks butt. Check out the second one from today, or any of my three so far. :thumb: 8-) Yes, I'm proud. Look for more from my contacts before Spring Migrations start!

Brick, was that request for the Pine Barrens data on your form? If so, that one is pretty cool. Thanks...

Terry :thumb:
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Yeah... I've just been following the same format for all my requests. I actually ask a lot of questions and do the pertinent research, then write it up for them. Then I have them proofread it, change it, add to it, correct it, etc.

I find that that way, I am able to provide all the answers to the questions I would ask - already in the data request.

I'm not a fan of sitting back and waiting for people to come to us. I'd rather market us to the state agencies, and sell our product. I've been talking to Ph.D.'s and big shot biologists, and I'm in essence, a nobody. They have all been very nice and willing to do the extra work to get our info into their system.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Bob your data request does kick butt.. :thumb:

Fundad